CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-05-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
Cole Troxell

Profile:
the zone?

so ive been reading some forums about "the zone" diet and would like to know more about it so if anyone would be so kind as too point me in the right direction i would appreciate it! thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #2
Caleb Whitfield

Profile:
Re: the zone?

Buy the book Enter The Zone by Barry Sears. It has everything you need to know. I personally have been doing it for 6-7 weeks and have seen great results in that I have lost approx. 5 pounds and am much more defined/cut. It was aided by Crossfit WOD's as my exercise. What exactly are your fitness goals??
Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #3
Cole Troxell

Profile:

where can I get the book? online? my goals are simple to cut some fat gain some muscle and just be in overall better shape Id prefer to lose some fat more so than gain muscle but ideally Id like to gain both!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
Lee Hill

Profile:

Crossfit FAQ, in yellow, top of the page.

FAQ stands for 'Frequently Asked Questions'
Old 03-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Start here for the quick and dirty version: http://journal.CrossFit.com/2004/05/...sFit-journ.tpl (wfs)

This article contains most of what you need to know to get started

Edit: I don't know what the problem is with this board and links to the journal. Paste this line into your browser and it should get you there:

journal.crossfit.com/2004/05/zone-meal-plans-crossfit-journ.tpl

Or not. Alternate plan: Go to main page, click on link to journal on left hand side, search journal for zone meal plan. CFJ issue 21. Free download.

Last edited by Ned Ferguson : 03-05-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Alan Troxell

Profile:

I have been using the zone diet for about 3 weeks. So far i have lost about 7 pounds and a feel great.
Get the book. If you search under "zone diet" on this site, I'm sure a ton of stuff will come up too.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

I'd like to add that although the Zone is very popular here, I suggest you read the book and slowly begin to incorporate ideas from it into your diet. I think one of the most important things you learn from the book is how easy it is to overeat carbs and how easy it is to undereat protein and fat. (Seriously, try to eat a meal at 5x fat sometimes. I hope you like inhaling avacodoes and washing them down with olive oil!)

Some people function very well on it and have great discipline in planning their meals (See the CrossFit Journal articles by Nicole Carrol and Greg Amundson). Others try a simplified approach, known as the Paleo diet*, where by cutting out processed foods, it becomes difficult to overeat carbs even without any measuring, and you will naturally eat approximately what you need.

*disclaimer: I know this isn't exactly true in theory, but it is in practice.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Troxell View Post
where can I get the book? online?
Dood, Google is your friend. Really.

EDIT: To at least show the semblance of being helpful, I'll give you another little tidbit: Scroll down to the bottom of this page, you'll see a section called "Similar Threads." 99% of the time it is directly related to the question at hand. If you click one, then you can read it and if it doesn't help you, go to the bottom of that thread and see more threads; it's a great little never ending cycle of knowledge. I won't even mention the search function (Oops, I guess I just did - so use it too).

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa : 03-06-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:34 AM   #9
Cole Troxell

Profile:

ok another q bout the zone i understand how the block system works from other forums what id liek to know now is what i shuld start at? ideally id like to be round 200 lbs im bout 230 now according to the army tape test (which is fairly inaccorate in my opinion) im 20% but due to being in afghanistan and lack of supplies well go with 20% so where would i start to get to my desired 200 lbs area? 17? 18 blocks?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 AM   #10
Cole Troxell

Profile:

o sry forgot to mention my acticity levels.. i do the WOD everyday and patrols in the mountains so im somewhat active id like to start running and or using some cardio machines when i get the means but until them its WOD and patrols