CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Frank Dennis

Profile:
What Does Your Ink Mean?

So, I've gotten a whole bunch of PMs since I switched my avatar, which is a pic that a buddy of mine caught the other day while messing around with his new camera; it's (obviously) a picture of my back and shows the first of several tattoos I'm getting. I gave everyone who's PM'd so far the brief answer (ha!) but here's the whole story.

A lot of people decide the want a tattoo, and they go into a shop and pick some art off the wall or out of a book, and that's totally cool, not knocking it at all. But, I wanted anything I made a permanent part of me to have personal meaning.

All the tats I'll be getting work on two levels; firstly, I'm a huge nerd so everything is a sci-fi reference, but secondly they'll all have a meaning that's personal and real.

On the geekery level, this one is from "Stargate."

The little symbols are constellations, specifically those that compose Earth's Stargate address in the mythology of "Stargate SG-1."

In order from top to bottom (which is the order in which they'd be dialed if the Stargate were, you know... real) the constellations are:

Auriga
Cetus
Centaurus
Cancer
Scutum
Eridanus

The large symbol is the "name" of Earth in the system of gate addresses.

On the more personal level, it's a reminder to me how big the universe is; this isn't something of which I typically need reminding, but any time I start to think I know all there is to know about something, or get jaded, it serves to remind me how vanishingly small the experience of our species actually is, and that there is always somewhere new to go, something more to learn, and more new worlds to experience here on Earth than anyone's ever dreamed up in sci-fi.

It also serves as a return address if I get abducted by aliens.

So, how about it folks? What's your ink mean?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: What Does Your Ink Mean?

It means when the choice came to drink myself to death on my tax return or get a tattoo I chose well.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Robert Martinez

Profile:

I have five.

The twin daggers on my forearms have the names of my children in them, to honor my kids.

My left shoulder has an eagle and Dragon flying together, to reprisent spirit and wisdom.

and I have a large picture of a wolf pack on my right shoulder to reprisent loyalty and friendship.

If only I had more money to get more ink..
Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
It means when the choice came to drink myself to death on my tax return or get a tattoo I chose well.
Ha! This is true... what did you actually get? If you spent a whole tax return on it it must be pretty burly, mine only cost about $250, if I remember correctly... maybe a bit more.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martinez View Post
I have five.

The twin daggers on my forearms have the names of my children in them, to honor my kids.

My left shoulder has an eagle and Dragon flying together, to reprisent spirit and wisdom.

and I have a large picture of a wolf pack on my right shoulder to reprisent loyalty and friendship.

If only I had more money to get more ink..
That's great! Did you design any of them yourself, or help design them?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

if I got a tattoo, it would be something useful. LIke on my chest, something like "Please try cpr 1 more time"
Old 02-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Frank Dennis

Profile:

A buddy of mine joked (and one day I hope to get him drunk enough that he actually does this) that he'd get a tattoo, written upside down across his back, which says, "Let go of my ears, I know what I'm doing."
Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

The one that saved my life is a shark in a Hawaian shirt wearing sunglasses smoking a we'll just call it a cigar which was kind of a Jimmy Buffett reference, but was actually a fairly accurate representation of my life at 21. I have the Stones lapping tongue on one upper arm, a butterfly and a girl on the other upper arm, a tiger and a bleeding heart on my chest and a rose and parrot on my back. Very much traditional Sailor style ink with personal meaning to me but mainly an accurate look at my mind as a young man.

Jamie, that's part of the reason why the bleeding heart is in the middle of my chest to prevent EMT confusion
Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Small Nike Swoosh on my ankle, which to me, signifies the no excuse b/s of: Just Do It.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
Brady Osborne

Profile:

and here we go....

- a rooster one my left calf
- a half sleeve going up to my neck on my left arm of posieden and other evil looking sea creatures.
- inside of both biceps "operor non vado mitis"
- an inuit orca on my right arm
- a bionic claw mark exposing an american flag on my right shoulder blade
- and last my left chest... a crossed anchor and rifle with a skull in front (my brother has the matching one)