CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-23-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
tony

Profile:  
My mother is 40 years old and about 235 lbs. She works out sporatically but wants to be consistent. I told I'd been trying this Crossfit thing. She liked the sound of it. How can she start safely. She's not afraid of hard work but I don't want her to hurt herself. Oh, and she's working on our eating habits. One step at a time.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:43 AM   #2
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

tony

i am pretty new to this site but it seems to be comman advise to start with the WOD(workout of the day) just vairy the workload to an amount that your mom is comfortable with. its important to push yourself with the workouts but i think most people on this site would agree that it is far more important to do the workouts correctly first and build a good base of fitness befor pushing to hard for amount of weight lifted. tell her to listen to her body. only she will know when its hurt, hope this helps, and good luck
Old 02-24-2003, 09:35 AM   #3
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Tony:

Most of us are probably so used to seeing "Cover your a** " warnings, that they fade into the scenery and we don't even notice them.

Bless you for being a loving, caring son. Bless your Mom for making a decision to embrace life and health.

IMHO, your Mom's life is in danger ! Morbid obesity is not just, " a few extra pounds," to have a chuckle about. She should heed the "consult with your physician before starting this or any exercise program," warnings so commonly noticed but disregarded.

Coach advises CrossFit newbies to start easy and gradually increase intensity. This advice is for healthy individuals. I'd say all the more so for the extremely overweight. Your Mom may need a stress test, electrocardiogram, etc., and a VERY (!) gentle start to her program. Please have her see a doctor !

On the positive side, if done properly, your mom could experience levels of improvement that seasoned athletes never will. Whereas the highly conditioned athlete may have to struggle for small improvements, someone starting where your mom is will see dramatic improvement over an extended period of time, as long as she is prudent and consistent. She has a huge advantage having your support and the support of this CrossFit community that Coach has created.

Best,

Eddie
Old 02-24-2003, 03:11 PM   #4
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Test
Old 02-24-2003, 04:21 PM   #5
Janet Fisher

Profile:

I have to stress again how effective it is to encourage a woman to show exertion and effort. Keeping her mouth closed and trying to prevent herself from puffing or outright shouting in effort will kill her progress and make her feel like she can't do it, and she'll give up.

Incidentally :proud:, I take mild exception to 40 years old being defined as "middle aged".
Old 03-09-2003, 11:06 AM   #6
tony

Profile:  
Thank you for all your replies. We took your advice and had her see a doctor. The doctor said the same thing you guys are saying. Start slowly and listen to her body. She is progressing slowly but surely. Oh, perhaps you are right Janet. 40 is not middle aged to someone practicing Crossfit. Because Crossfit practitioners will probably outlive most people. BTW, my mother has never been afraid to shout in effort. Which I am proud of.