CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-15-2003, 09:26 AM   #1
brian smith

Profile:  
Hi everyone,

I want to start training the crossfit way but I have limited equipment and resources at the moment. I don't have a rowing machine, bicycle or access to a swimming pool for instance. I have just an olympic weight set (no bench), dumbells, jump rope, and a ledge I use to practice pull-ups. Are there any ways I can still make this work? I would appreciate any suggestions on how I could make the most of what have.

Thanks,

Blueswarrior
Old 02-15-2003, 10:40 AM   #2
Chris Longley

Profile:
Hi Brian,
You have more than enough equipment to make crossfit work. I have about the same as you - weights, chin-up bar etc - but i've quickly learnt that its the intensity and not the equipment that counts. When something calls for rowing or cycling i'll do something else for the same duration to get the same effect i.e. substitute running or dumbell swings for rowing. Same with rope climbing - i'll do pull ups.
The point is that as long as you follow the pattern and get the general idea of a workout, you'll get the results.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 02-15-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
Gary Ullery

Profile:
Brian,

Check out some of the other posts under exercise, they have some great tips with little equipment. Your jump rope is an excellent tool to use, you may have to be creative when determining distances, etc. I don't have the rower (yet!), or other facilities. Heck, it is only 20 degrees outside with snow and ice, I choose not to run in that stuff! But if you live in a place that you can run outside, that would work as well. Just do what you can, as hard and as intense as you can. You will see and feel the difference! Keep up the desire and motivation!

Gary
Old 02-15-2003, 10:45 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Bria-
Chris is right on...you have more than enough to CF. Just ask the board for specific substitutions untill you get into the flow of things.
Have fun!
Robb
Old 02-15-2003, 11:36 AM   #5
brian smith

Profile:  
Thanks guys,

I have been looking for a method like this to increase my real world fitness level. I have been lifting weights for a year now and have made some great gains but I have neglected my aerobics and I have failed to lose any fat depite by lean mass gains. I hope to get stronger, more agile and get down from 29% to 15% body fat. I quit kidding myself that increasing my muscle mass alone would increase my ability to burn fat at rest after reading this site and Ultimate Diet Secrets by Dr. Ellis. I realize that the only way to get the fat off is actually do some work and burn it off! I was looking for a short cut for the longest time to lose my gut. I have been strangely dissappointed yet liberated at the same time that I am going to have buckle down and earn it! I have to look no further.

Thanks a bunch guys,

Brian
Old 02-15-2003, 05:38 PM   #6
Gary Ullery

Profile:
Brian,

Yours is a familiar story! I have dropped over 20 pounds in the past two months as I have begun the journey to becoming fit again! I am following Atkins diet, which is jump starting me nicely. As I progress, it will progress into a Zone/Paleo type. Exercise for me, has not done it alone. It has been a combination of diet and exercise, and Crossfit is perfect! Keep at it, knowing that there are plenty of people out there like you and I: Just working hard and seeing the results. That is the magic, it may not be a short cut, but the journey is where it is!