CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Scott A Martin

Profile:
Introduction - Starting Crossfit

Hello all,

I wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the community. I've been lurking around the site for about two months and I've been trying some of the WODs for around 6 weeks.

I'm 29 years old and I've been lifting on and off for about 12 years, following typical chest-centric workouts, neglecting my lower body. I probably reached my peak strength at age 20. Almost a decade later, I bench less, can do fewer pullups, etc. I guess it took about nine years to realize that whatever I was doing wasn't working particularly well.

So then I saw 300 and when I read that those guys had only been training for 3-6 months I decided I had to start working out smarter. Eventually I found this site and I was hooked.

I'm sold on the effectiveness of this program. Two of the first workouts I tried were Cindy and Fran and my results were 10 rounds and 22:16, respectively. I did both in the last week, less than two months later, and the results were 18 rounds and 9:58. I'm sure some of that improvement is attributable to a willingness to push myself harder now, but much of it is from fitness gains. As I said, I'm sold on Crossfit. Going forward, I plan on spending half my time on the WODs and the other half following Starting Strength to address my severely underdeveloped lower body. Once I can squat and deadlift a respectable amount, I will only do the WODs as posted on the main page.

Sorry to ramble, but I just wanted to say hello and thank the community for being so supportive, informative and willing to share its knowledge. I hope to be able to contribute in the future.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Introduction - Starting Crossfit

Hey, Scott....

You should try and come down to Albany Crossfit sometime! It's a great community.

Check out www.albanycrossfit.com. (w/f safe)

Susie
Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Susie, I know about the Albany affiliate. I've checked out the website and you guys look like a great group. The only problem is that it's hard to justify the 30 min. drive each way when my current gym is less than 5 min. away. I sometimes find myself in Albany for work. If scheduling allows it, I will definitely come by and see what it's like to workout in a facility with other crossfitters where I don't have to fight bicept curlers for the squat rack.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
Susie, I know about the Albany affiliate. I've checked out the website and you guys look like a great group. The only problem is that it's hard to justify the 30 min. drive each way when my current gym is less than 5 min. away. I sometimes find myself in Albany for work. If scheduling allows it, I will definitely come by and see what it's like to workout in a facility with other crossfitters where I don't have to fight bicept curlers for the squat rack.
Scott;

I travel 1.5 hours each way to train on Saturdays with Pittsburgh Barbell Club.
You have a CF allifiate ONY 30 minutes away, I'd get there anyway I could.

Training at CF affiliate with Certified Trainers and other CF'rs that drink the Kool Aid, you really can't put a price on that, either in time or bucks.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Hi Scott;

Welcome! Good job on those Fran and Cindy times. Keep track of them. They're going to go way down if you keep at it.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Jay, I guess relative to your situation I should be happy about the 30 minute drive...okay, I'll make it a point to get down to Albany Crossfit.

Kevin, thanks. I'll be sure to track my progress. I think that was a big problem with my pre-crossfit training. I never recorded my progress so I wasn't increasing the challenge from workout to workout...just doing the same thing day after day. Keep track of times/rounds/weight really pushes me to work harder.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:28 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
Jay, I guess relative to your situation I should be happy about the 30 minute drive...okay, I'll make it a point to get down to Albany Crossfit.

Cool, you'll enjoy the WOD and the people.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
Jessica Lasky

Profile:

Hey Scott-You should definitely come down to Albany and work out with us sometime! Monday's are bootcamp, tends to be the biggest crowd of the week but it's a good time!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Nikki Schmitt

Profile:

I am trying to understand how this all works. I get the WOD. Then I read something about warming up. The in the "What is Fitness" article it talks about interval training and a gymnastics circuit. Do I just do what is exaclty in the WOD or am I supposed to do these other things as well.

For Tuesday the WOD was
Front Squat 5-5-5-5-5 reps

is that all I do?

Nikki
Old 12-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
Hey, Scott....

You should try and come down to Albany Crossfit sometime! It's a great community.

Check out www.albanycrossfit.com. (w/f safe)

Susie
Amen to what Suzie said Scott. You'll love this group! We are all at different levels also. I'm a newbie as of 2.5 weeks. Lunges have been helping my legs develop. I have also been more upper body endowed.