CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
Victor Cruzeiro

Profile:
Here's a novice question that hopefully someone won't mind answering.
I know that Power bars are less than ideal to use for the Olympic lifts (because of diameter etc) but is there any reason an Olympic bar wouldn't be just as good for the slow lifts (squats, deadlifts, presses) as a Power bar?
I can't think of any.
Any comments?

Thanks,
Victor
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Victor,

An Olympic bar would be just as good for most people. The exception would be those moving very large weights. If you are squatting or deadlifting 600 or 700lbs, and moreso if you are one of the few doing 900 plus squats, you are probably going to want a bar that is less whippy for the squat, and a bar with some really heavy duty knurling for the deadlift.

I have kids doing over 400lb squats with my OL bars quite regularly, and 500-650 squats also with some frequency. There is no problem with these weights... but I have seen a 750 squat with one of my bars as well as numerous times with bars like Eleiko, and there is enough bar whip at this kind of weight that if you are not used to it it can throw you off.

Personally, I LIKE bar whip on the squat and front squat, I am used to it enough that I use it to bounce out of the hole. Most powerlifters arent used to it and dont like it, and want a stiffer bar.

On the deadlift, the average lifter doesnt want ripped up hands. An OL type knurl is actually quite nice for deadlifts for most people. On the other hand, competitive powerlifters are willing to put up with a few ripped calluses and a bit of blood for that little extra grip that a really deep knurl gives you.

Glenn
Old 02-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
Victor Cruzeiro

Profile:
Thank you Glenn that was really very informative. I'm pretty much a beginning lifter so I'm not moving weights anywhere near those. It's good to know an Oly bar will work well for everything.

Thanks again for info,
Victor