CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-02-2015, 06:13 AM   #1
Martin Navestad

Profile:
Wendlers 5/3/1 and olympic weightlifting

Hey, I was wondering if there was any effective way to incorperate the 5/3/1 with the olympic lifts?

Ive done a couple of cycles with just the 5/3/1 and I am starting to feel slower just overall in the lifts. So what I thought was that starting out with some olympic lifting again would help my speed and make me feel a little less lazy.

Hope you guys understand as my english sucks..
Old 07-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: Wendlers 5/3/1 and olympic weightlifting

What are you trying to accomplish?

5/3/1 should be there to make you stronger. If you need/want to get stronger, keep doing that - as prescribed, without much added that interferes (or follow his templates for accessory/assistance work and only do that stuff)

Usually, Olympic lift issues are a matter of technique (unless your Deadlift is 20 lbs above what you can Power Clean, then maybe its strength). If technique is the case, then some dedicated Olympic work will get you far. I've been training about 5hrs a week with a world class Olympic lifter/coach and in 2 months, Olympic lift numbers that stalled for the past 2yrs have all gone up. Its technique and obviously I'm getting strong at the same time but I'm not as directly worried about my Bench and Back Squat numbers.

If Bench, Dead and BS are more important to you than Clean & Jerk and Snatch then stick with 5/3/1 and get crazy strong. Otherwise..well you have your answer.

There is leveled programming with a bit of all of it mixed in with tons of other movements at grrillagym.com that you might try as well.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
Steve Guzinski

Profile:

After completing my first cycle of 5/3/1 I put Oly lifts back into my programming. Missed them too much. I typically work explosive jumps on Squat days and on Dead lift days I either snatch or clean. I do this work before my 5/3/1 sets and use it as a warm up for the core lift. I don't do it for conditioning but for technique. Usually program 3x5.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

This has been asked of Jim Wendler a few times. He's responded and you do a google search for them. He has said that working to 80% of 1rm for a SnCJ wasn't really tasking on one thread I remember.

Here is another WFS:

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl..._as_assistance

Quote:
They wouldn't be used as assistance work - they would be used prior to the main lift. So you would clean (or whatever) before you squat. Or snatch before you press. Whatever you decide. I wrote an article that details Oly lifts and different programming on the Jim Wendler Forum a couple months ago.
To sum:

Snatch on a Squat day, Clean on a DL day or vice versa, Jerk on a pressing day. That being said, jerks might actually hinder your bench or press performance.

It kind of depends if you are doing a 2 day 531 split of Upper/Lower or 4 day One lift.

If you're doing a 2 day, it should be easy enough to put in 2 WL days where you hit one or both lifts or just hit one lift before the upper/lower.

You could use 531 for WL but who knows how it's gonna work out. 5 reps sounds like it would suck hard but LSU uses 5 reps during one of it's phases.

Or you could just copy and paste the SnCJ work in from another program before the strength work.