CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #11
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Tingly hand syndrome?

Orthopedic surgeon but I am biased.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
Diana Alt

Profile:

I started with my chiropractor - she is fantastic and understands my history and activities, including crossfit. She ended up figuring out that I needed PT, so I went to my family doc just to get that referral and the ultimately to get an order for an MRI.

It turned out I had a herniated disk in my cervical spine and it had flared up several times over a couple of years without me knowing what it was. Once I was diagnosed, I visited an orthopedic surgeon specializing in cervical spine. I basically had to stop crossfit for a few months while I got a couple cortisone shots and had extensive PT. It took a long time, but ultimately I made a ton of progress and I am now working on very carefully building my strength and endurance back up.

I really wish I had been more aggressive about pursuing an MRI earlier. I spent about 2 years just treating symptoms without really knowing root cause and my recovery took a lot longer because of it.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
Brittany N Miller

Profile:

yes!! I have this same problem and have since February.. has happened more often since then. Thought it was the way I was laying or something. My fingers tingle and go numb when I'm at work also, and I stand all day so there's no awkward arm/shoulder position.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
Sean Dugan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carroll View Post
Don't rule out Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. My TOS symptoms first began as "tingling" fingers at night, and then it progressed to a blood clot in my arm. I eventually had the #1 rib removed to release the pressure. TOS is no joke and the clot almost killed me. It occurs to athletes such as pro pitchers, swimmers, and weightlifters. Lots of overhead work (press, snatch, kb swings, pull-ups) exacerbate the condition.
Just reading through this thread and saw your post, my wife had TOS and the same procedure(after one hospital did a bunch of failed procedures) done a few years ago. She never had any tingling etc, just woke up one day and her right arm was swollen.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
Chris Carroll

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dugan View Post
Just reading through this thread and saw your post, my wife had TOS and the same procedure(after one hospital did a bunch of failed procedures) done a few years ago. She never had any tingling etc, just woke up one day and her right arm was swollen.
Sean,

Is she 100% recovered? I am 1.3 years out and 100% but still on blood thinners due to the enormity of the clot. Is she still on thinners and any side effects?

Chris