CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Alexander Granick

Profile:
My Back Is a Giant Adhesion

My back is a mess. I have adhesions everywhere. My traps, levators, rhomboids, and erectors are just injuries waiting to happen. If I do a back + hip extension on the GHD or just hang from the pull-up bar, it feels like my erectors are going to seize up. Last week I picked up my kayak with one arm, and something between my shoulder blades went. I couldn't breathe deeply for two days. However, after two massages and a couple of days I felt back to normal, and set a new PR (by 20lbs @ 225) on my jerk.

I drink about 2.5L of water a day, do lacrosse ball work on every trigger point I can find (including anterior thoracic work), do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v-8xEpVjZQ (wfs), get IASTM, and go to a good chiro. Admittedly I don't get IASTM or go to the chiro as much as I should, but I cannot afford it.

Has anyone had any experience SOLVING this? I don't know what to do. I wake up stiff every morning. I'm looking long term here (I'm only 27), and it doesn't look like this is sustainable.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:
Re: My Back Is a Giant Adhesion

Alex,
I am in Cary, and have 2 great massage therapists that I use on a regular basis. They have helped tremendously, and much more effective than what I was able to do by myself.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like their names and numbers.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Alexander Granick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
Alex,
I am in Cary, and have 2 great massage therapists that I use on a regular basis. They have helped tremendously, and much more effective than what I was able to do by myself.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like their names and numbers.
I use WodBody Sports Massage. They're great, but the financial aspect of massage is not sustainable in the long term. I suppose I could do a lot of visits in a short time if I could maintain by myself afterward. Thank you for the offer.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Diana Alt

Profile:

How often are you currently getting massage that it seems financial unsustainable? I am of the opinion that getting a good 1.5-2 hour massage once a month is pretty important to maintaining my physical condition. Granted, I make decent money but I would prioritize that above a lot of other crap since it's in the "health care" bucket in my world rather than the "luxury" bucket.

Another thing you might consider is getting some physical therapy in the short term. I love my chiro, and I love my massage therapist, but there are certain things that the PT can more effectively address.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Granick View Post
I use WodBody Sports Massage. They're great, but the financial aspect of massage is not sustainable in the long term. I suppose I could do a lot of visits in a short time if I could maintain by myself afterward. Thank you for the offer.
While you may require several weekly visits at first, maintenance mode would typically be once a month or so. I did a 10 session program, similar to rolfing last year, and have done quite well since then on my own.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Mike Sutherland

Profile:

When was the last time you took a prolonged rest?

If your nerves are always frazzled the back muscles will tense up at the drop of a hat (I think its some sort of injury prevention reflex). A week off could convince the nerves to step off the high alert button.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Phil Washlow

Profile:

If you're consistently doing all of those things and the symptoms always come back quickly I imagine that isn't the best treatment protocol, don't think you shoud stop those things but perhaps look for additional steps and causes. How is your posture? Excessively kyphotic thoracic? Are your pec minor, major and anterior delt very tight? How is the strength of your traps, rhomboids, levators, seratus, etc? Have you tried crossover symmetry?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Alexander Granick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
If you're consistently doing all of those things and the symptoms always come back quickly I imagine that isn't the best treatment protocol, don't think you shoud stop those things but perhaps look for additional steps and causes. How is your posture? Excessively kyphotic thoracic? Are your pec minor, major and anterior delt very tight? How is the strength of your traps, rhomboids, levators, seratus, etc? Have you tried crossover symmetry?
Posture is good, and I'm not just saying that. Not kyphotic at all. I just started working the anterior side of things more, and yeah they're tight. This crossover symmetry thing is interesting because I don't think I'm very balanced. Thanks Phil.