CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Matthew Parker

Profile:
When to wear a lifting belt

I while ago I bought a lifting belt and I read all about them and I even wrote a little article called "It's OK to Wear a Lifting Belt" (http://www.sitegonebad.com/2011/10/i...-lifting-belt/ (WFS)), in which I say that you're not supposed to wear a belt for anything under 80% of your 1 Rep max.

But I also tend to wear mine when I have to do a lot of reps at less than 80%, i.e., if I have to do a 10-rep front squat at less than 80%, I don't really need the belt at first, but by the last few reps, it's really helping my core hold itself together. Does anyone know if that's ok, or is it just building up too much reliance on a belt? I also use it for medium-weight push presses (like 135lbs) when I want to pound them out fast and recklessly without tweaking my lumbar.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:
Re: When to wear a lifting belt

Personally, I would try to avoid using my belt as much as I could. However, as soon as it potentially becomes a safety concern a belt is an important tool. If you feel like you have the potential for injury on low weight, high rep exercises then wear the belt. It is more of a matter of personal preference, not really something we can give you a lot of advice on. Hope I could help! Im sure that Blair will be here soon to give potentially give you some better advice.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Todd R Miller

Profile:

Personally, I like the feedback that the belt gives me that my core if firing. I try to literally pop the belt off by pushing against it.

I think it has helped me learn to fire the core even when I don't have a belt. I know what it should feel like.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Eric Shuty

Profile:

This topic has been covered extensively on this board.....just sayin'
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Eric Shuty

Profile:

....but I did enjoy your article so it's not a total wash.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Good article. Informative and funny all at once.

I'm interested in getting a belt but there's so many choices. How do I know which one to buy?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
John C Corona

Profile:

...the cf gyms were the only ones not wearing them.. haha. nice one.

Patrick: current discussion in equipment: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=77569
Old 09-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Matthew Parker

Profile:

I looked at the other threads about lifting belts again, and it looks like I don't have to worry about wearing it too much. It seems to help correct my bad posture, too, the days I lift with it.

I'm glad you liked the article.

Also, for CrossFit, I recommend getting a cheap velcro belt, like the Harbinger one I pointed to in the article, because they are really quick to get on and off in metcons, and still work fine for heavy stuff.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Parker View Post
I while ago I bought a lifting belt and I read all about them and I even wrote a little article called "It's OK to Wear a Lifting Belt" (http://www.sitegonebad.com/2011/10/i...-lifting-belt/ (WFS)), in which I say that you're not supposed to wear a belt for anything under 80% of your 1 Rep max.

But I also tend to wear mine when I have to do a lot of reps at less than 80%, i.e., if I have to do a 10-rep front squat at less than 80%, I don't really need the belt at first, but by the last few reps, it's really helping my core hold itself together. Does anyone know if that's ok, or is it just building up too much reliance on a belt? I also use it for medium-weight push presses (like 135lbs) when I want to pound them out fast and recklessly without tweaking my lumbar.
I did a bunch of reading on weight belts recently including searching here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The conclusions I got were that weight belts help move more weight but do not increase safety. Injuries incurred while wearing a belt are often worse than without. A weight belt should not be relied on to make up for bad form. That said, a belt can act as a tactile cue for maintaining good form.

If you're using a belt in a long WOD you should loosen it when not needed or you'll tire out your core. If it's not tiring then it's too loose and not doing much.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
I did a bunch of reading on weight belts recently including searching here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The conclusions I got were that weight belts help move more weight but do not increase safety. Injuries incurred while wearing a belt are often worse than without. A weight belt should not be relied on to make up for bad form. That said, a belt can act as a tactile cue for maintaining good form.

If you're using a belt in a long WOD you should loosen it when not needed or you'll tire out your core. If it's not tiring then it's too loose and not doing much.
I see no reason to wear a belt during a WOD. In anything othere than a 1-1-1-1-etc or 3-3-3-3-etc you won't be using a high enough percentage of weight to use a belt. I also think that unless you are an elite olympic lifter you do not need a belt during those either. In other words, unless your clean results in you handling a large percentage of your squat weight, you don't need a belt. Ex-a 500lb squatter cleaning 400lbs....which is unlikely but possible if individual is a strong front squatter.