CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Molly Metz

Profile:
Re: Double Unders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandy Roman View Post
Guys I have been CrossFitting for a long time now. I got the muscle ups down and pretty much most of the excersises. Now can anyone give me a tip on double unders. I can do them but not consecutively. I find myself having to do single unders and every couple single unders I can get one double under.
There are a lot of good suggestions here. My staff is heading your way in a few months, if you would like to come to the seminar you can get some hands on attention- send me an email and I will keep you posted.. Every athlete is different with their double under, it is all about progression and working with breaking bad habits and retraining our minds to focus on new ones. body, form, rope/length, weight.... it all factors in and varies for each of us.. and changes day to day and become a nemisis to many. Email me and we can discuss in greater length if you wish: jumpNrope@gmail.com (I am a competitive jumper, 28+ years this is what I do for a living!)
Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Sound is an important cue for me. It tells me how hard the rope is hitting the floor, the relative timing of my jump and the rope movement, rope speed from the whishing through the air, etc.

I do better at double unders if I can hear what I'm doing well. The worst case of sound messing me up was at a comp with a judge. I had to do 20 double unders and the person counted every rep. From 13 on he slowed down his counting and I ended up forcing myself to slow down with him or it totally messed me up. Loud music with the wrong BPM also messes with me.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
Richard Colon

Profile:

Watch this from 1:26 to 2:06 (WFS)

The key is mechanics. Relax and don't stress on it. Do it for a few minutes EVERY DAY as part of your warm-up. Doing it during warm-up helps ensure you aren't fatigued and helps to maintain good form/mechanics (which break down when you are tired).

It really isn't difficult at all. It is one of the easier movements by far. It isn't limited by strength and doesn't have nearly the technique of a Snatch. Follow 2 simple rules and you will get it.

1. Make sure your mechanics are solid, and the video explains it well enough that nothing else is needed. Once you have the mechanics (wrist rotation, don't exaggerate the jump, don't drive your heels to your butt, etc) just reinforce those through practice.

2. Practice it every single day.

There are thousands of people that go from not being able to do them to doing them well enough to get through any Crossfit WoD. That is all that is needed. Sure, Spealler has a bit more efficiency than most other top level Crossfitters, but it isn't a make or break sort of thing - so don't sweat it and don't overdo the focus on it. Very simply - practice the RELAX/JUMP A BIT HIGHER/MOVE THE WRISTS FASTER as you would for 1 Double Under. Do it every day and you will get 2 in a row, then 3, then 10. Then you win.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 08-18-2012 at 12:17 PM.