CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Peyton Bush

Profile:
Weird pop doing OHS today...thoughts?

Hi All,

I was doing a WOD with OHS today and in the beginning of the first set of OHS (also first set of the WOD), I felt a strange and only slightly painful pop in my upper back (lower cervical spine). Because it wasn't terribly painful and felt almost like I just had a crick in my neck, I kept going. I was able to keep going and finish the WOD with no additional pain (except the good kind everywhere else), and did not at any point feel the nerve pain down the arm that I read about in my searches. Right now it just feels like I have a crick in my lower neck and is still localized to right where it happened.

My questions are:is this something I should be worried about? Does anyone have a view on what it could have been? What can I do to mobilize the necessary areas and prevent future injury? Tomorrow is my day off, which is much needed and will hopefully give it time to calm down. If it's still there, then I'll probably take another day or two off to give it more time. BTW, I am new to CF (one month of regular WODs) and am coming back from a herniated disc at L4/L5 with pretty nasty sciatica. Two ESIs, a bunch of pilates and 6 months off before I started working out again, and everything is going well. I injured it deadlifting and am now back up above 200lbs, which is a huge physical and mental milestone for me given what I went through with the herniation (previous max was 275).

I am extremely focused on flexibility/mobility and preventing another injury, so any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Weird pop doing OHS today...thoughts?

Foam roll and do some basic swings in hang in your warmup.