CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-16-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.rowingmachines.com/catalo...Natural_in_Ash

Supposedly, it was "designed by/for the Australian Rowing Team."

I know the Concept 2 is the darling of Crossfit. I sat on one of these browsing at a store and I liked it. It's quite spendy though -- but it was smooth, I like the wood color, and it stands entirely up on end for storage.

However, though I'm still leaning towards a Concept 2, I wanted to see if anyone out there uses something else and has an opinion. (Unfortunately, searching on Rowing Machine yields far, far too many results...)

Thanks to any that care to respond. :-)

Old 08-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
Ron Wilhelm

Profile:
Looks similar to the Waterrower. Searching on that term and Concept 2 will lead you to some discussions.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:23 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Bryan;
It's not just the darling of the CF boards, but of the rowing community in general. There are many models available used, findone---buy it. Your comment that's it's spendy, I must disagree. For $850, not including shipping, you get a quality, USA made piece of equipment, that will last a life time, a great USA company that stands not only behind its products, but supports the rowing equipment around the world, has a killer website, and the people are GREAT at the company.
Rowing IMHO is possibly one of the best all around Cardo workouts you can do, period. With that said, quite looking a the rest, buy the best, start rowing.

Jay

BTW, I do not work for the company, had a model B, train on D almost daily, plan to buy one in future.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Thanks Jay -- the "spendy" comment was actually referring to the rower I was asking about above (It's like $1200!).

I pretty much plan on buying a C2 -- but there are a lot of rowers out there and I've never used anything *but* a C2, so I'm interested in anyone else's thoughts on the rower above -- or even just magnetic vs. water. vs chain etc.

Thanks all. I'm still doing some Internet research on the topic as well...

:-)
Old 08-17-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
Michael Leach

Profile:
sounds like you're bored Bryan. teehee! ;-)
Old 08-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Nay sir! (Well, maybe a little). I've just finally been getting my home gym going and acquiring equipment... and I only need weights (bumpers/bar), a rowing machine, and a pull up station to pretty much be able to ditch my gym membership. :-)

Old 08-17-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
Sean McDaniel

Profile:
I've got one of these that I bought before getting into Crossfit. It's definately a viable alternative to the C2, and they are beautiful. Changing resistance isn't nearly as easy - requires changing the water level, but the rowing itself feels very smooth. My 500m and 1k times on the Waterrower are very close to what I do at Crossfit Eastside on the C2 Ds, so I'm guessing the rowing efficiency isn't much different. I'll probably look for a C2 someday as I build up my garage gym, but right now cash is better spent on equipment that I don't have at all.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:42 AM   #8
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Cool, that's good to know -- that's chiefly what I was interested in finding out. :-) Any other input is welcome.

I'm still probably going to go the C2 route, if for no other reason than cost. On the other hand, it's nice to have alternatives, in case a screamin' deal comes up on Craigslist or something. :-)