CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-06-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I'm interested to hear what some IFers do as far as meal/workout timing.

In general would it be better to break a fast with a mean then exercise, or break a fast with exercise?

I have found that for me sometimes breaking a fast (15 hours...is that still considered a fast? It seems like the average person is eating much more often, I notice people in Starbucks with coffees and pastries hours before I eat) with exercise I get a slight drop in performance along with a diminished post workout 'high', seemingly that the hormonal response is not as pronounced without some food in my gut. This is not always the case.

Someone mentioned that eating some protein before a workout enhanced the hormonal response.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:29 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I workout at the end of my fast (first thing in the morning), then eat about 1 hour after. It works great for me.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:28 AM   #3
Erik Reckdenwald

Profile:
I eat my first meal at 6am, then my last meal at 3pm, which gives me at least an hour cushion before I workout. I have to be at work pretty early, so working out in the morning isn't really an easy option. I find that eating early keeps me more alert at work for the morning.

This schedule seems to work well for me though, allowing a range of workout times between 4pm to 8pm.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I flirt with many varieties. 15 hour over night, one meal a day (either breakfast or dinner depending on how I feel), and just random fasts. Sometimes I'll eat break fast and lunch and then not eat until lunch or breakfast the next day. It really depends, I try to keep it as random as possible. One thing I always, always, always do is make sure I jump in and out of hyper/hypo caloric states. It's very important to eat plenty of food when the time does come to eat. I notice if I get lazy and don't eat as much as I should my performance is shot. Some days more carbs (say 100 grams give or take some), some days zero carbs. It is very random, much like Art D's stuff. Stimulants like coffee and tea, and ginseng sometimes definitely help to up the alert feeling, but I generally avoid these because I become dependent very easily. Jibreel, IF is something you need to gradually wokr at. Every week increase your fasting time by an hour. I used to not be able to go 2 hours without food, now I can go a day and half. It took a lot of time, but if you gradually work on adding an extra 1/2 hour/1 hour to your fasting time it should workout well. I'm going to be experimenting with some carb loading and fat loading within the next month or so. I'm going to start another thread and keep it posted. I'm interested to see how it turns out. I'm probably going to post some pictures and WOD times to measure progress. Hope this helped.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Thanks for all replies. In my original post I said "break a fast with a mean then exercise" I meant meal then exercise. ****e I thought I proof read that post. I must have been hungry.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I do a 15-hour daily fast...sometimes 14, sometimes 16. I've gone as long as 22 hours when I got caught up in some grappling with buddies. I workout before my first meal and generally wait an hour to two hours before eating. And I will break off the fast to get in food within two hours of working out....I'd rather get some real food in there a couple hours after the workout and as Larry and Robb have noted, the workout on empty likely stimulates the rest of the fast more.

As for performance, we've had 4 benchmarks this week and I've PR'ed on all of them, ranging from a 20 second cut to a 2.5 minute cut. I wasn't even planning on selling full out today on Grace, but realized at around 20 C&Js that I was set to break my PR, so I went for it. I doubt that's all due to diet as I've been working very hard on flexibility and that's been improving alot, but diet can't be discounted either.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Greg-

Great stuff!
Old 04-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Thanks Robb
Old 04-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
David Knutzen

Profile:
I do a regular 15-17 hour fast, partly because that's just the way life works out when you eat from college dining halls.

I feel fine most of the time, and at least 2 days of the week I exercise before the fast. Usually get in about 1700-2200 calories of paleo foods in the span of 2 meals (lunch + dinner). I sit at around 10% body fat, but I haven't lost much this year at all, despite IF, paleo (albeit with about 85% compliance), and CF. It puzzles me. Maybe I just need to eat more.

I've done a few, very infrequent 24-36 hour fasts, and have felt quite strong and able when I workout at the middle/end of them. I consistently feel quite aware and can go hard at PT 0530 while fasting, and feel fine until I eat at 1200 to break the fast.

A little rambling, but I like the whole IF thing. Just wish I could get better at dropping down to around 5-7% bodyfat, maybe sticking a little more muscle on my boney frame (140lbs, 5'9). I have a sneaking suspicion that both goals will be helped along by getting more calories in. Anyone care to confirm?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
David, do you get you cals in all at one meal? If so, that's probably the reason. I do a one-meal-a-day gig every so often, but I try to usually have a 4-6 hour window where I really take in the calories. My guess is that you're either eating too little all together, or you're eating too much at one time, or both (which is possible). I would spread your meal window out a little more and try to evenly distribute the calories. For instance, break your fast with a 1000 calorie meal. Then two hours later eat another 1000 calorie meal, then two more hours, another 1000 and stop there. As Robb mentioned, separating meals into protein/fat and protein/carb works well. If you're trying to get cut watch out for fruit. Fruit has lots of sugar and will be rapidly stored as fat, especially after a fast. Although it's not paleo, and I know I've bashed it before, peanut butter is a great and cheap way to pack in some serious low GI calories after a fast. For a college student on a budget it really helps. I know peanuts aren't the best choice, but I'm too broke (as you probably are too) to buy a small $10.00 bag of pistachios or other nuts that will be gone in a day! It just doesn't work.
to sum it up:
1) Widen your meal time window to about 6 hours and evenly space out meals so it's not an overload on your system.
2) Concentrate on getting in lots of fats and oils during your meals to help pack in calories to spare muscle and provide long lasting energy for the next fast.
3) Avoid fruit, it registers in your body as sugar and will shift body composition to a less favorable one.

P.S. For anyone interested in my IF fat/carb loading experiment take note that I probably wont be starting it until mid May because of school. Once I get out I'll have much more time to commit to getting everything calculated and down to a T. I'll create a post when I begin to keep those who are interested updated.