CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Benji Whitehead

Profile:
My Oly Lifts

Here's a video of me doing some snatches and cleans. Critique me please...

http://vimeo.com/5583914 (WFS)

I noticed:
I have a gut
I'm afraid to squat down low enough on snatches
I'm hairy
I should probably just dump the weight from shoulder height on the cleans instead of catching at my waist and then dumping it.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Michael Houghton

Profile:
Re: My Oly Lifts

One huge thing I see is that your hips are not opening at the end of the pull at all. You are muscling the weight all the way up during the snatch and not pushing yourself down under the bar. Snatch balances and heaving snatch balances help with this. Clean pull is the same. You are not opening your hips all the way. Your hip angle is not completely open before you drop. Hope this makes sense.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Bill Robertson

Profile:

You have to move a lot faster. The weight is so light you are just muscling it up If you use a heavier weight you wll have to fully extend your legs & hips to get the weight up. Start a little closer to the bar and lean over the bar more, keep the bar closer to your body as the weight goes up. Future posts would be easier to critique if the camera angle was from 45 degrees in front of the bar instead of side on.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:05 AM   #4
Benji Whitehead

Profile:

thanks for the help! I obviously need it.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Thomas Green

Profile:

Think pop, shrug, pull in that order. Basically what everyone else said -- you're pulling before you fully extend your hips(the pop part).

I have the same exact problem!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Cody Wilkes

Profile:

Snatches
The bar is going around your knees instead of your knees going around the bar. That's why the bar has that forward motion and you hop forward.

As you are picking up the bar you push it forward to get around your knees. You need to pull your knees back slightly and let the bar go straight up.
Once the bar gets past your knees get them back under the bar and explode. Like everybody else said open your hips up all the way, the weight will fly up.

Relax the arms I can tell you are pulling with them. This is killing the drive you have with your legs.
And like you said get comfy squatting all the way under the bar.

Cleans
Same thing as snatches the reason you look more controlled is because the weight won't let you move the bar around your knees. Get your elbows up a little more too.

The bar is way out in front of you so, in a nut shell for the snatch and clean, lift the bar straight up, get your knees back under the bar when it passes, and open up your hips all the way. Relax your arms.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Andy Robinson

Profile:  

Consider contacting a coach in your area...a USAW certified O-lifting coach...a Level 1 CF coach will not do if you're serious about Weightlifting...good luck.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Benji Whitehead

Profile:

I wouldn't say that I'm 'serious' about weightlifting, but I do want to get better. I don't know of a local coach. There is a CF Affiliate in town now, maybe I'll stop by one day.

I tried to do a few reps today following this advice before my WOD. I felt like I was doing better on the cleans. The snatches still feel totally wrong. My hands feel like they've been ground up from all the work yesterday. I'll take this advice and try to put it to good use on Thursday, then I'll make another video soon.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Like the others have said, watch the bar path on the snatches, it's way far infront of you, which is part of the reason you are not opening the hip enough.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/06/...urg-part-2.tpl

Watch that video and do what Coach B is advising, you need to get your knees out of the way so the bar comes up close to the body, practice that first part of the pull a lot and do it slowly, use video to see if you are doing it correctly.

For the hip extension part, practice snatches from hang/high hang (mid thigh and up) so that you are in the right jumping position (bar touching thighs, think pockets for position), practice the explosion, jump, shrug, pull, land. Also to get more confident at the bottom, ride your snatches down if you receive them high, and then practice snatch balances as mentioned above.