CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-24-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
Jordan Gwaltney

Profile:
Marine PFT - Running Workouts

I have a Marine PFT coming up in 2 weeks and I'm trying to shave about 30 seconds off my 3 mile run time to get a sub 22:00 minute run. Looking for some strictly running geared workouts to supplement in addition to my box's regular daily WODs. Any workouts or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
William Garrett

Profile:
Re: Marine PFT - Running Workouts

Just speaking from experience since im Active Duty myself. In today's military everything seems to hinge on your PT scores I wouldnt take chances. Crossfit will always be there, your career maybe not.

If your worried about your run time, and everything else is solid I suggest cutting out (Crossfit) and just run run your *** off.

30 seconds over a 3 mile period is very doable. Your only looking at running each mile 10 seconds quicker than you already are....or a really good push at the end.

I simply work in 1:1 sprints, 1 mile as quick as your can, rest, then do it again. Or pick a one mile pace that is slightly out of your comfortable zone, and see how long you can stick with it. When my PT test approaches I cut wayyy down on the CF, and focus on running only a minimum 3-4 days a week to ensure success.

Go in rested as well, couple days off prior. Being mentally prepped knowing you can crush the test will ease alot of jitters and boost performance. I ran 46 seconds quicker than my previous best run time on my latest. All because I know I could get what I was looking for....
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30
Old 09-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Michael Lennox

Profile:

Basic Intermediate 5k program
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50...te-5K-Training (wfs)

Alex Viada Running and lifting program(s)
http://www.completehumanperformance....es-part-1.html (wfs)

You can do pretty well running three days: Long easy run, short fast paced run (your 3miler) and then an interval day: 8 sets of 400s a little bit quicker than your mile pace. And this is in addition to your training.

Lennox
Old 09-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Jordan Gwaltney

Profile:

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

The Marine PFT lends itself to CF very well

Consider 6 RFT 10 pullups/20 situps/800M

Or even just making a chipper out of it:

for time 20 pullups/100 situps/3 mi run.

For the Navy one I would do 6 RFT pushups/situps/400M run, I don't miss the PFT at all. Retirement is nice

Combined with a longer run and maybe some tempo work you should be good. You could problably do other couplet and triplet work using running and the rower also, Helen and Eva come to mind.