CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Snir Golan

Profile:
Can't decide on a bar...

ok, so i recently (yesterday) sold my Rogue bar and was planning on ordering the Ohio bar (or Froning bar since its the same thing). but, when i came to order, i saw that both the froning and the Ohio are out of stock which got me looking at other options.

After looking at a few different options, now i can't decide between the Ohio, the Chan Bar and the Pendlay HD 2013. all end up costing about the same but each one has its own pros and cons. here is what i have:

Ohio/Froning:
  • Good General bar

Pendlay:
  • 28mm
  • Bright Zinc which i like
  • good knurl
  • great reviews

Chan Bar:
  • Center knurl that will help in front/back squats
  • wider center so no ripped shins during deadlifts
  • i like how the knurl starts wider so you don't need to do the thumb measuring which i do
  • a bit more aggressive knurl

i just can't decide the good (or bad i should say ) news is that none of the Rogue bars are actually in stock so i have about a week to decide.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
John Burgeson

Profile:
Re: Can't decide on a bar...

Man, grab that Chan bar. If you were interested in the Ohio variations, the Chan is closer than the Pendlay. And you had more things to say about the Chan features which I'm going to guess means it appeals more to you. Plus, who doesn't like dealing with Rogue more than MDUSA?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Christopher Kraul

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burgeson View Post
Man, grab that Chan bar. If you were interested in the Ohio variations, the Chan is closer than the Pendlay. And you had more things to say about the Chan features which I'm going to guess means it appeals more to you. Plus, who doesn't like dealing with Rogue more than MDUSA?
Completely agree. Chan bar!

Last edited by Christopher Kraul : 08-20-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Forgot quote..
Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Joey Allen

Profile:

I would definitely go with either Rogue over the Pendlay. Rogue's new in-house machining is awesome. My latest bar (Castro bar V2) is fine. I love the design choices on the Chan bar. That sounds like a winner from what you're describing you need.

What finish are you leaning towards? Zinc, Satin Chrome, or Black Oxide? That may help make your decision since not all are available in all finish options.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
Scott Ohlms

Profile:

Most people have nothing but great things to say about both the Ohio and Chan bars, so either one would be a good choice.

Rogue has been good about getting their bars back in stock pretty quickly, so given the fact that you're going to be spending a decent amount of money on this purchase and will likely have the bar for a LONG time, make the right decision based on what you like about each bar, not its availability.

If you're set on the knurling type and scheme of the Ohio, obviously wait for it to come back in. If you must have it in black and want a signature series bar, wait for the Froning. You sound like you really like the additional knurling modifications of the Chan and it also comes in black (cheaper that way too), so as long as you're okay with the slightly more aggressive knurl and 28.5mm size over the Pendlay, I think that's your best option.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Snir Golan

Profile:

thanks guys, i signed up to be notified when the Chan bar gets back in stock and will buy it as soon as it is available. i really like the unique features that the Chan bar has and also, i LOVE Rogue and want to support them as much as i can so i will not go with another company (nothing against MDUSA, they also treated me right in the past and have great products).

now the wait begins. luckily for me, my coach is awesome and let me borrow one of the bars from our gym so i don't have to be without a bar for the next 2 weeks.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Allen View Post
I would definitely go with either Rogue over the Pendlay. Rogue's new in-house machining is awesome. My latest bar (Castro bar V2) is fine. I love the design choices on the Chan bar. That sounds like a winner from what you're describing you need.

What finish are you leaning towards? Zinc, Satin Chrome, or Black Oxide? That may help make your decision since not all are available in all finish options.
i am tempted by the Satin Chrome just because it always looks cleaner but i also love the way the black zinc looks so i might just save a few bucks and go with that instead.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
i am tempted by the Satin Chrome just because it always looks cleaner but i also love the way the black zinc looks so i might just save a few bucks and go with that instead.
Just know that the black zinc on the sleeves gets scratched every time you put a weight on.. Doesn't matter to some people. I didn't like that. Chrome is a lot more durable.. though the price difference is a bummer.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Allen View Post
Just know that the black zinc on the sleeves gets scratched every time you put a weight on.. Doesn't matter to some people. I didn't like that. Chrome is a lot more durable.. though the price difference is a bummer.
yeah thats a bummer about it scratching

on a side note, i just got an email that the Froning bar is back in stock so maybe the Chan bar will be in stock soon as well.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-28mm-training-bar wfs

I'd rather get this unless you want a thicker bar so you can abuse it a bit more.

I don't see the need for a center knurl.

More expensive than the 28mm bars but slightly cheaper than the Pendlay bushing bar.