CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
Justin Scanlon

Profile:
Groupon offer: switching boxes for 3 months to save money?

I am new to crossfit (4-5 months) and love my box and coaches. No complaints about anything at my current box. Just curious, has anyone ever taken advantage of a groupon to work out at a new/just opened box for a big discount (85% savings for 3 months) and then returned to their old box? Commute is not a factor. New box only does cf also and schedule (times to workout) is compatable. level 1 instructor.

Looking back, was the savings worth it? How do you approach your instructor and tell them you are going to another box?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Theresa Stephens

Profile:
Re: Groupon offer: switching boxes for 3 months to save money?

Honestly, just for the savings, it wouldn't be worth it to me. I could be biased since I am a new affiliate owner. But honestly, even when I was a member of a box, the community was too important to me to abandon just for three months of savings.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

You would be really rolling the dice. There is a fair chance that the new gym has trainers with little experience. I've seen it happen more than once. It's usually from people with no CrossFit experience. They find a groupon for a new box that has less than good coaching and programming. They use their groupon and get the wrong idea about CrossFit. My wife did one with a friend..... In 10 sessions there were no barbells, KB's, pull-ups, wall balls, etc. it was pretty much what you would get at a boot camp class at a big box gym.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

If you are happy where you are, and it's not about the money, I wouldn't recommend it. Typically, groupon's with CrossFit sell hundreds; and result in many more members than usual. Most of the time these people are just hunting for the next deal, and causes over crowding if the affiliate is not run efficiently for the influx of new members.

There is an affiliate close to me that has 50 paying members, and runs a groupon deal almost quarterly. They say they have "90" members, but 40 of them are actually going through their groupon offer. It's usually frustrating for existing members, and more advanced people from groupon due to this.

Just some things to consider.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Timothy Mabe

Profile:

My 2 cents is you get what you pay for. If you buy the groupon you can expect large classes, several new people and coaching staff spread thin. This typically leads to poor or no coaching and a fight for limited equipment. This has just been my experience at a location that used groupon.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Michael MacDowell

Profile:

Agree with Brian and Tim... be weary of Groupon Boxes. Bigger classes, not enough equipment, less coaching, low conversion. I do believe some boxes have successful models for how to handle these deals but the majority are playing a dangerous numbers game that can alienate good full-price paying members.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If I owned/operated the gym you are currently at and you left for 3mo just to save with a Group-On, I probably wouldn't let you come back. I'm not sure everyone would feel this way but I would.

Quote:
Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
If I owned/operated the gym you are currently at and you left for 3mo just to save with a Group-On, I probably wouldn't let you come back. I'm not sure everyone would feel this way but I would.
This seems petty. It's a purely financial reason. If you owned a car dealership and someone said "no thanks, I'm going to buy the cheaper car", then came back next year ready to purchase from you....you'd turn them away?

There are cheaper affiliates all around us, Groupon or not. If they leave, always leave on good term; you don't know who their circle of relationships includes. I always leave it as, "we hope to see you back, just understand that it will be at our current membership rates at that time."

Can't take someone leaving you personally. There are way too many people out there looking for you to get hung up on that.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Great post Brian. I would never leave where I am to save money for 3 months. Not a chance...

I was down in Charlotte this past week but did not have time to look you up and ask about dropping in. Will do so next time as I plan to be back there in the coming months. I'll shoot you a note in advance as I would have to work with your coaches on what I can and can't do based on my back issues. If this is a problem, I won't have an issue with it. I mainly have been doing my own thing at my current gym (for about 2 months) but try to roll when the class wod is rolling so that I'm in on the action.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Brian Strump

Profile:

Absolutely, send me a message on through there, or an email from our website.
Come on by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Plomchok View Post
Great post Brian. I would never leave where I am to save money for 3 months. Not a chance...

I was down in Charlotte this past week but did not have time to look you up and ask about dropping in. Will do so next time as I plan to be back there in the coming months. I'll shoot you a note in advance as I would have to work with your coaches on what I can and can't do based on my back issues. If this is a problem, I won't have an issue with it. I mainly have been doing my own thing at my current gym (for about 2 months) but try to roll when the class wod is rolling so that I'm in on the action.