CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
Jason Berger

Profile:

I've understood for awhile now that insulin is released two ways: sugars / carbs / refined carbs and overeating.

Overeating question: is that overeating in terms of calories ingested or in terms of volume of food consumed?

Can you release insulin by gorging yourself on fibrous vegetables? (I don't know, maybe you found a salad bar or woke up in a cabbage field after a hard night of drinking. It's hypothetical.)

Can you release insulin by stuffing yourself with meats and fats (no carbs) or is the presence of carbs absolutely essential to the insulin process?

Just clarifying some basic nutritional questions for myself. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Pat Janes

Profile:

I believe the Zone answer to your 1st question is answered by "don't eat more than a 5 block meal in one sitting". That indicates that the excess insulin spike is due to caloric intake, because you can have an endless spectrum of volume of food to make up a 5 block meal.

Question 2. The answer is, in theory, probably yes. In practice, I doubt it. If you stick to the biggies like cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage, it would take you all day to eat enough to cause a significant insulin spike.

Question 3. I believe the Zone answer is again, yes. Fat, so goes the theory does not, and cannot cause an excess insulin release, but protein can and does.

For those more knowledgeable of such things, I'd love to find out if I'm on track here...
Old 08-19-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I recall Robb Wolf stating that a large fat meal can cause an insulin release as well. Perhaps he can chime in here. I believe that protein causes a minor release.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
Skip Chase

Profile:
When we eat our bodies break the food down into organic compounds, one of which is glucose. The cells of the body use glucose as a source for energy. Before the cells can use the glucose, it has to be moved to the cells. Insulin is the transport mechanism that moves glucose to the required cells.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:19 AM   #5
Tim Dewey

Profile:
Hi guys/gals. I'm new here on the board, but I come from a family with a history of diabetes (typeII) so I do keep an eye out on current studies on insulin. Doc Sear's Zone is based on the glycemic index. However, recent studies have shown that a glycemic load comes into play as well (food combinations). Theorretically you can eat a fibrous carb (low GI) with small amounts of a hi GI carb, and they would tend to moderate each other in terms of insulin response. Now, the guru's are testing out what they call an II (insulin index). Some of the findings they are coming up with are a bit surprizing, but the don't contradict Doc Sears at all. What they are finding is that some fatty meats and dairy-which read low on the GI- actyually test medium-high on the II. This is something DOC Sears stated in his first book, and why he does not advocate the high protein - very low carb diets. As to getting a high insulin response, I guess it would be possible, but like the original poster stated, you would probably have to be pretty drunk and crash in a cabbage patch and try to eat your way out.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
Rob McBee

Profile:
I don't mean to be telling tall tales but I read an article "somewhere online" that said too much protein could cause an insulin spike. The gist of it was that the insulin is spiked to counter the excess amino acids just like with excess sugar.

Sorry I can't produce the article but I would be curious about this as well. Fortunately, adhereing to Zone parameters would seem to protect from this if it were true.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
There is some indivuduality here...insulin resistant individuals tend to have more problems with various foods than others. Meats high in lysene (like beef) can cause a higher than normal insulin response in some people but it also releases glucagon, thus mitigating the insulin issue.

I have no idea what the cut off is for a overly large meal...again I think it is a subjective thing and may be related to many factors like timing of previous meals.

Robb