CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
Re: Dark Horses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I think Josh could do it, but it will come down to the events. I think last year would have been Josh's for the taking, but unfortunately he wasn't there.

Not sure if anybody mentioned here is really a "dark horse" though. Maybe Mikko because of age, but even still it wouldn't be out of left field for either one of them to have a good weekend and pull out a win.

Graham was a good example of a dark horse.
I still consider Hathcock a darkhorse, he didn't make it to the games last year did he? I know he was in that stacked regional but still.

And remember, Rich was kind of a darkhorse before he took 2nd, so there may be someone lurking (like a Marcus Hendren who not many knew of before last year).
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Charles Golden

Profile:

I posted something similar in another thread, but I'll be interested to see how Dan Bailey stacks up this year. I think he got away from his biggest strengths last year and it really cost him.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
I posted something similar in another thread, but I'll be interested to see how Dan Bailey stacks up this year. I think he got away from his biggest strengths last year and it really cost him.
I'm a fan of Dan Bailey. For some reason I always cheer for him during the games. I know he trains with Rich but he just seems like he stays a step behind in everything, including strength even though he looks slightly bigger. I hope Dan can give Rich a run for the title on of these times!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
I'm a fan of Dan Bailey. For some reason I always cheer for him during the games. I know he trains with Rich but he just seems like he stays a step behind in everything, including strength even though he looks slightly bigger. I hope Dan can give Rich a run for the title on of these times!
That was sort of what made me think he might have focused too much on getting stronger/bigger this past year and he lost some of his "little man" edge. He didn't dominate in the WODs that looked to favor smaller athletes like I thought he would.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Milton Brisson

Profile:

My favorite will always be my fellow Canadian Lucas Parker! He was a top 15 finisher last year, look for him to move up!

He is super strong, and never, EVER, underestimate the power of beard!

Seriously, it Rich Jr's competition to lose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parker.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	11305  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

I think Dan Bailey suffers from being "Rich Lite". He's from the same caste of athlete, just not as big and strong. It's true that he was smaller when he first came up (I think he was listed at 165 at Regionals in 2010 and was about 185 last year), but he's never been an endurance guy. Remember, he was a sprinter.

I think that the guy who bumps Rich off, if it isn't Josh Bridges, will have to be an athlete similar to Josh. He's going to have to get a good lead in the lighter, endurance oriented events that the Games typically start with and which Rich usually finishes middle of the pack in, then be strong enough to hold that lead in the shorter, heavier events that the Games usually finishes with.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
I think Dan Bailey suffers from being "Rich Lite". He's from the same caste of athlete, just not as big and strong. It's true that he was smaller when he first came up (I think he was listed at 165 at Regionals in 2010 and was about 185 last year), but he's never been an endurance guy. Remember, he was a sprinter.

I think that the guy who bumps Rich off, if it isn't Josh Bridges, will have to be an athlete similar to Josh. He's going to have to get a good lead in the lighter, endurance oriented events that the Games typically start with and which Rich usually finishes middle of the pack in, then be strong enough to hold that lead in the shorter, heavier events that the Games usually finishes with.
Yea that was sort of what I was thinking. I think the Games could be programmed in a way that Bridges could be Froning. But I don't think the same could have been said about Bailey. He became too much like Froney and lost what little edge he had.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
Jackson Harmer

Profile:

This conversation begs the question of who could compete from other sports? A lot of NFL guys are incredibly strong but nobody knows what kind of endurance they would have for the longer events. Inevitably some of them have decent endurance whether they use it or not, a big part of endurance is pure genetics. A guy like Trent Richardson, RB for the Cleveland Browns is a beast. He can power clean over 350 and has been rumored to squat close to 700. Very fast. Would be fun to see guys like that compete against the big CF guys. I see a made for TV event, it would be incredible exposure for CF with all the numbers the NFL names would bring.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
Dan Douglas

Profile:

oh god not again...
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

A Crossfit "Invitational" would be pretty cool to see. Maybe start with a bunch of Reebok athletes?