CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
I've posted in the Nutrition section before. I'm a college student trying to do the Crossfit program on a tight budget with not a whole lot of dining options. I bought myself a Foreman grill, and I eat a lot of skinless boneless chicken breasts, pita, hummus, and spinach.

However, because of my schedule and the monotony of the same foods every day, I eat out using my meal plan from time to time, but I don't have that much willpower. For some reason I have a horrible weakness for chocolate muffins. I've started trying to replace any soda I consume with seltzer water, and it actually works pretty well.

What replacements are there for sweet things like oatmeal raisin cookies and chocolate muffins? Any advice is appreciated
Old 10-20-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Gordon-

I honestly do nto know if there are replacemnts! The best I can offer is try to get in a chunk of protien and perhaps some fruit. the Zone bars are darn yummy IMO and certainly better than muffins.

Good luck!
Robb
Old 10-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #3
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Barry Sears says there is no guilt in the Zone. If you're following that plan, just get back on at your next meal, or as Robb said, get some protein. A muffin now and then won't kill you, unless it's spiked with arsenic!
Old 10-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
HI,

I know what your talking about. I seem to be able to be strict when at home or when I go places that I can take food but put me in a resteraunt and it just seems like my normal self walks out the door and the glutton comes in. Some tips I have learned (they may sound silly but they work):

1. for portion size - break the food into the right amount to eat before eating anything and put the rest away for another treat. So with the muffin, maybe break it in half and assume it is about 3 blocks (in the Sears book, 1/4 blueberry muffin is 1 block). The eat 3 blocks of protien and fat and you splurged while staying in the zone and have half a muffin for a friend or another zone favorable splurge another day.

2. if your going somewhere where you know what they have, plan ahead what you are going to eat and plan for that treat. Sometimes I will plan for a glass of wine or a dessert so when I order I know not to get other treat foods. It seems easier when I know I am going to get one of them.

Anyway, good luck. Learning food willpower is just as useful as some of these WODs to our health!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Ease into it. I moved slowly from eating three high-GI squares a day to eating Zone. Two useful steps that helped me:

#1: Eat more protein than carbs+fat with each meal. When I started easing towards the Zone, I just made sure that I observed macronutrient ratios. For instance, I would let myself have a slice of apple pie with lunch, but would count it as the entirety of my pure carb intake. This meant that although I got to satisfy my sweet tooth, I weaned myself off expecting the insulin spike I would have gotten by eating both dessert and carbs in the meal. I gradually lost the desire and taste for sweets, and developed them for natural foods; Apple and Peanut Butter tastes much better on Zone/Paleo than oatmeal raisin cookies and chocolate muffins do off it.
#2: Five meals a day. This makes everything easier.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I have found that if I am in the zone properly I don't have food cravings. I use to have a serious craving for sweets and once I started the zone and cut all grains I seem to no longer have the cravings. But I have found that if I don't have my late afternoon snack I do start to have some cravings.