CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Michael Hill

Profile:

After much experimenting, I have come to the conclusion that cyclical carbs loads are not for me. I simply feel like hell. Also, a lot of diet experimenting has produced some unwanted body fat. After reading everything that was reccomended on this board and then some, and from personal experience fully believe that a stabilized balanced insulin respone will keep me feeling and performing best. Basically a modified zone diet.

My question is how do I use the zone to lose body fat first? Should I drop carbs till I lose weight, then add them slowly (ie via protein power) until I stabalize somewhere around the zone ratio. Or should I follow the standard 40/30/30 zone and once I have dropped fat add back the extra fats to stabalize my weight/gain lean mass? It seems that dropping carbs while keeping fat moderate would be best, then slowly bringing up carbs until they are equal to protein or slightly higher, afterwards adding extra fat if necessary. Essentially I would end up with around 20-25% protein 20-25% carbs and 50-55% fat in the end. I know this works best, but its not good for losing weight.

Thanks as always

Mike
Old 04-22-2004, 10:09 AM   #2
John Frazer

Profile:
I've been trying the Zone diet for several weeks and have lost several pounds of fat.

I've also been quite hungry more often than I should. According to the calculator on Dr. Sears' site, I should be doing more than the standard 14 blocks of protein daily. So to keep it balanced I've upped my breakfast and afternoon snack by one block of everything and that seems to do the trick -- I feel strong, sharp and not hungry!

Old 04-22-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
bill fox

Profile:

I would not do a no carb phase. Just adjust what you're doing to the Athlete's Zone now. I did a lot of experimenting last year too, after many years of low carb, I played with metabolic, NHE, Warrior, to the same effect - have now basically settled back into an athlete's Zone type thing -although without all the math and blocks - working great.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I think Bill's recomendation is gold. Start with the base Zone and as you lean out check back with us and we can help you tinker the fats up to a maintainance level.

BTW-I do about 75-80% of the carbs recomended by the zone. This is where I seem to feel and perform the best. I forget the Sears acknowledges a range of .60-1.0 for protein/carb ratios with the .75 being about in the middle.

Robb
Old 04-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #5
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Not to hijack the thread, I have a question. If I were to use the ratios of 40-Fat 30-Protein and 30-carbs (I am very carb sensitive)that would have me at around 2000 calories a day. This is a helluva lot lower than what I've been doing. Is this alright? Don't wanna waste away ;)

Old 04-23-2004, 05:54 AM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Jay, why can't you apply those ratios to a higher caloric intake?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:38 AM   #7
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Scott,

I can and probably will. In fact I will probably have to. Soon enough here I'll be coming back to the WOD. Also, I'm taking up BJJ and will be training 3 times per week at 2 hours per session.

-Jay
Old 04-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #8
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

Scott - by adding too much protein/carbs into the diet, you risk spiking your insulin. Keeping your insulin in control is a major theme in the diet. Adding fat is the way to go if your looking to add calories to the zone diet.

I asked the same question here a few weeks ago.