CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Thomas Gress

Profile:
Critique my Nutrition and Routine

Hi folks

been doing crossfit for almost three weeks now. It's taken a couple of weeks to get the hang of my new routine. Before that I lifted heavy for about a year.

Stats (as per 30 april 2012):

Age - 25
HT - 5'10''
WT - 208
BF - 21.1%
Squat - 400
Bench Press - 320
Standing Military Press - 200

My current routine I'm aiming for is this.

5xWODS weekdays
3xHIIT (MWF) - Tabata Sprints
1xlong distance jog Saturdays
1x lifting heavy (Sunday)

I eat no carbs whatsoever during the week, supplement with super-B complexes and multivitamines for nutrients. Then on the weekends I go crazy. Lots of fiber, veggies, cheat-meals, you name it.

Results: First time dieting like this. Dropped 10lbs in two weeks, that's mostly to be expected. Fat loss was quite low during that time, BF rose to 21.7%. Will measure again Saturday.

I haven't not experienced much lethargy, my sweat stinks like cat-**** (ammonia). Is that ketosis?

Goal is to drop 15-20lbs of fat, run a sub 20-min 5K, and keep strength. I also do a push-up and crunch routine to up those numbers.

A year from now I want to go to Quantico for Marine Officer training. I asked a couple of Marines, they said my program sounded legit and well-thought out. In terms of experienced crossfitters, especially those who made the transition from bodybuilding to crossfit, I'd be interested in hearing more.

Anyways, thanks for reading and please offer advice. I've considered adding some fruit and spinach to morning meals for about 30-50gs of carbs if that would help me shred the blubber.

Last edited by Thomas Gress : 05-17-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Michael Travis

Profile:
Re: Critique my Nutrition and Routine

Seems like quite a bit of volume to me, particularly when restricting cals like you are to try to shed fat. Seems your recovery may be affected before too long. I'm assuming you are also not doing any carbs PWO
Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

When do you, ummm... recover?
As said: that is a lot of volume. Usually with increase in volume there would be an equal or greater increase in calories. I would also eat more like an athlete and less like a model; Add some sweet potatos, fruits and veggies.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Thomas Gress

Profile:

Thanks for chiming in, both of you.

My recovery is the weekend. What makes you worry about the recovery? I already lost strength since 3 weeks ago, but I figured that was unavoidable.

I complete the Tabata and WODS during the weekdays, then Saturday I carb up, and will do a jog. At the moment I can't jog more than 2.5 miles (up from 1.25 three weeks ago).

On Sunday, with the carbs in my system, I eat a great breakfast, plenty of carbs, then head down to the gym and lift heavy. Usually 7-14 sets of 1-2 reps on a couple of main exercises, then a few complementary exercises (4x4).

What do you make of the foul-smelling sweat?

Also seems you want me to add more carbs during the week?

Last edited by Thomas Gress : 05-17-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Thomas Gress

Profile:

No carbs in my PWO meal (unless weekend).

The Guerrilla Cardio takes 12 minutes total (4 min warm-up, 8 runds of 20/10 sprints/rest, 4 min cool-down). Three times a week. Then five WODS, varying intensity, usually heavy on the cardio. And I have my push-up crunch routine 3 times a week, takes 15 minutes total.

So 5x1 + 3x0.2 + 3x0.25 = 6 hours 20 minutes of exercise during the weekdays.

20 minute jog

1:15 workout Sunday

Total of 8 hours, max, a week. Is that crazy?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Michael Travis

Profile:

If its working and you're happy with your progress, then I'd say don't change anything. When I say it seems too much, I don't necessarily mean duration, but intensity. If you are going all out on everything, for instance, I wouldn't consider 75 minutes of truly heavy lifting on a Sunday as recovery, when you say you use weekends for recovery.

Losing strength while dieting is not a guarantee, nor is it unavoidable. Strength progression may slow down, but strength loss may mean too little recovery, too little nutrition, or both. I'm not really saying there is a concern as far as your fat gain, depending on which method you used, calipers may have been user error/fluctuation, BEI may have differed from hydration levels etc, but to be gaining fat AND losing strength, IF that trend continues, then yes, I'd say you need to re-evaluate your current programming.