CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #51
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Too much $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Let's be clear. There are great, good, average, mediocre and bad CrossFit Affiliate Gyms. At this point in time price is not necessarily a reflection of the quality of the affiliate. I expect over time price will start to be more of a reflection of the quality (also location) of the affiliate gyms.

This is separate from the success of an affiliate gym. Success has to do with cost structure and having a product enough members want.

There are a lot of personal trainers and globo gym employees jumping on the band wagon. Some drink the cool aid and become good CrossFit trainers, others bring the sleazy sales practices from their old work environment and are just trying to make a sale.

As in all purchases buyers be ware. Anyone can open an affiliate gym with about $7,500 and a space.

great post!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #52
Charles Reagan

Profile:

I agree with what Brendan had to say in his post.I also wanted to add that what originally drew me to crossfit was that it seemed like a workout geared towards the "everyman" and "everywoman".The results seemed achievable for me and not so out of my reach as bodybuilding had been for so long unless of course you were willing to put your body and health at risk(steroids,hgh,speed,etc.).It seemed like a very helthy way to train(cardio,strength,skill,etc.).These guys and gals were like me and wanted to train in a fashion like I like to train.They were regular people making themselves better with every workout using the very basic of equipment or no equipment at all.My point is I like the formula as I think it originally started as kinda like the garage training thing.Now with the prices etc. in these economic times this seems to be changing.I hope this doesnt put this type of training out of reach for alot of people.That would be a shame.Maybe there could be "non profits" set up as sattelites to the more high end gyms.Even at most yoga studios they have community classes in which the prices are kept affordable for regular folks and are still given the community feel of doing this activity with other exponents of the practice.Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #53
Fan Yang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McFarlane View Post
I think this is the unspoken secret about crossfit -- the only people making money are the ones selling the license to the affiliates, and the ones selling the equipment to the affiliates. For the most part (some obvious exceptions), there doesn't seem to be much money in actually running the affiliate.

To the OP, I would recommend to just try crossfitting at a regular gym. Yeah, you will have to modify to some extent (probably no ropes to climb, no dropping weights, etc.), but you can get the same effect of the workout. And at the end of the year, you will have an extra $1,200 or so to spend on yourself.

boom, truth bomb!!!!!
equipmentwise a combination of globo gym and your own equipment will do fine, or if your lucky enough, join an oly gym, they have better oly coaching anyways. The only thing might miss is the mutual motitavtion you get from your peers.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #54
Michael Petersen

Profile:

I'm in Sacramento, where at last count we had 21 box's operating in some capacity (including all various suburbs). There are large variances in pricing. The largest box happens to be the most expensive (as far as I am aware). I think it's fair to say that coaching expertise and communal experience varies from box to box.

A CrossFit box is no different than any other business. Some are profitable, some are not. CrossFit breeds passion. Coupled with the low barrier to entry (weekend cert and a few thousand bucks), it is not surprising that lots of individuals want to open a box. Give it a few years, well run box's will thrive, poorly run ones will fail. Competition is always in the consumers favor.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #55
Justin Pilch

Profile:

It's quality vs. quantity. And not accepting the "worth" of a box is silly. The box owner/trainer is opening up their knowledge to you and providing the equipment and atmosphere for you to succeed because they want you to. You're not just another # walking in the door.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #56
Thomas Collins

Profile:

OP, if you've been at a gym for a while and are pretty experienced at training, why not build your own home gym for $500-$1000. I had a tower, bench, barbell, adjustable dumbbells, a pullup bar, bar and 400 pounds of free weights. I've jumped in on Crossfit doing the exercises at home. Only thing I've bought were rings $50 and ropes that hang from tree branches in my yard. I've yet to miss a workout. There is always someway to modify your workouts.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #57
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Just to give people an idea what it cost to get started.

I started my affiliate with the approach that I would not cut corners on equipment. I might not have a lot of it but what I have will be good equipment.

Including my Level 1 Cert. class I spent a little over $25,000 first year on my home affiliate. This money was spent between basically June 1st and Dec. 31st. I opened for business August 1st. My first year income from memberships was $1,955. I had another full time job.

I did start at a disadvantage because I had just moved 35 miles away from my job and where all my friends live. This causes my membership growth to be slower then normal.

Cash flow year 1 negative $23,045.

Now I have been open 14 months. I still operate from home but I use my full two car garage and a big room inside my house. I have about 30 members and bring in about $3,000 a month. I charge $125 a month for regular member, $90 for additional house hold member and first responders. More then half my members are additional house hold members or first responders.

I now need to both buy more equipment (I have 4 C2 rowers I need 4 more at $900 each for example, I need more of everything) and start to look at moving out of the house. This means rent or building payment of $1,250 to $2,000 a month. That is money that is no longer available to help me pay my mortgage on the house.

I will have positive cash flow for 2011. It won't be much. I'll only recover part of the $23,000 from year 1.

None of this counts pay for me. I currently work 55 to 60 hours a week on and at the gym. By the time I really start to draw a pay check I will have somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 hours invested that were basically unpaid.

This is not a sob story. I have never been happier working then the last year. I love my job. It is incredibly rewarding to help my members accomplish their goals. I believe I charge a fair price for my area so I'm proud that my gym is a great value. As I grow I will build a better and better gym and also be able to pay myself, hire some help and take some days off.

Just wanted to dispel the idea affiliates are making a lot of money. Most are not.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #58
Shannon Moon

Profile:

I know this will not have anything to do with the "Why is it too much", but maybe it will help, maybe not? I have been saving for almost a year just to take one years worth of CF. Once I pay for the first year I will begin to save for the next and maybe someday my CF Level 1 Cert. After taking an element class to learn the movements I have been trying to do things at home and at the local gym, but I know I will not get to my over all goal without some help. I have cut back to basic cable, cut down to basic cell phone, and I changed my diet so that cuts down on the junk I was buying. I also dont go to the movies or out to eat like before. In fact I have not bought any new house hold items since March 2010 because my health is #1 on my list of things to get. Its more important then any item money can buy. I also have a family,full time job,rent, and other bills. We just looked at our lives and asked what would we rather have? Your story maybe different then mine, but where there is a will there is a way. Good luck and have fun training for life.

Last edited by Shannon Moon : 10-26-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #59
August Ward

Profile:

plain and simple the results are there and its worth it. its a motivational enviornment you cant get at globo's. your happiness pyscially and mentally that you get from wod's and being at the box is worth much more than the fees.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #60
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I recently decided to join my first gym ever. I checked out a couple of CrossFit boxes where I live and I checked out a local gym that has a whole room where you can do pretty much whatever you want. $150 vs $25 per month. For me, the choice was obvious. Sure, it isn't exactly the same, but it sure beats paying $150 for some shotty programming. In the end, I'll just do my strength training in the gym and then go in the other room and do some CrossFit type conditioning Metcons.