CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 09-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #21
Ryan Earle

Profile:
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
The elitist attitude and poor programming is free.

Seriously, what do you people care if some dude is willing to pay $50/month for email correspondence with someone else? How could you possibly care? Good for Gym Jones and OPT and anyone else that gets it.

Is it a waste of money? To me, sure, but who the heck cares what I think? (I am assuming the same that care what you think) There is a ton of crapola that is extremely popular that I think is a complete waste of money. But spend your money on whatever you want.

Go sip on your $5 latte and tell us what a waste of money Gym Jones is. Thanks.
I didn't say Gym Jones was a waste of money -- if it is your money, I say spend it how you want.

I was just explaining why some people do go to Crossfit gyms outside of getting coached. Lifting heavy weights with bumper plates alone can be worth it for a serious lifter (I workout and home and just bought my own bumpers) -- but it is hard to 1RM snatch or Overhead squat, etc... with steel plates.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #22
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
They have been posting some stuff check it out here

link WFS
I hadn't seen their new website, looks nice. I like that they list the goal of the work, i.e. strength, power, endurance, power endurance, etc. I don't think most CF programmers think about that type of stuff.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #23
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Man-bear-pig wants bumper plates. I am currently using Comrade's special rusty steel bar and plates. In my basement, weights move you!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #24
James Orr

Profile:

I wish they had shorter term commitments, but the monthly membership seems like a decently good deal. You get access to (the site says) 17 different workout plans.

If memory serves, they have a bodyweight only plan (awesome for those with little equipment), they have the program Jude Law followed for Repo Man, they have a hypertrophy program, an endurance program that would be perfect for mountaineers like my buddy Paul, and so on.

$50/month for some pretty focused programs? Not too bad. Having to commit for a year though? That's a deal breaker.

I'd love to see a throwdown between a team from Jones and Team Rogue.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #25
Matt Harris

Profile:

From Gym Jones website: "We don't train folks specifically to lose weight but no one who trains here has ever gained weight." Huh...? None of their clients are lean and trying to get stronger?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #26
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I'd love to see a throwdown between a team from Jones and Team Rogue.
Throwdown at what? Gym Jones trains people to go fight MMA, or break records at climbing mountians and stuff like that. Team Rogue trains to workout (CF Games).....

Old 09-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #27
James Orr

Profile:

Quote:
Our objective is functional fitness.
Per their website. Again, I think it would be awesome to see a throwdown.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #28
Josh W Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
The elitist attitude and poor programming is free.

Seriously, what do you people care if some dude is willing to pay $50/month for email correspondence with someone else? How could you possibly care? Good for Gym Jones and OPT and anyone else that gets it.

Is it a waste of money? To me, sure, but who the heck cares what I think? (I am assuming the same that care what you think) There is a ton of crapola that is extremely popular that I think is a complete waste of money. But spend your money on whatever you want.

Go sip on your $5 latte and tell us what a waste of money Gym Jones is. Thanks.
well now. who is assuming i drink lattes?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #29
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Gym Jones is a rip-off of CrossFit. it would be one thing if they gave credit where it was due and acknowledged CrossFit as the foundational resource for what they do, but they don't. They claim they are original which is complete and utter BS.

I love how Melissa and Dallas of Whole 9 strongly support Gym Jones and posts on FB about how great their gym is. But then again W9 seems to have an affinity for knock-off, copycat companies who claim to be original when they know they are clearly not.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #30
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Gym Jones is a rip-off of CrossFit. it would be one thing if they gave credit where it was due and acknowledged CrossFit as the foundational resource for what they do, but they don't. They claim they are original which is complete and utter BS.

I love how Melissa and Dallas of Whole 9 strongly support Gym Jones and posts on FB about how great their gym is. But then again W9 seems to have an affinity for knock-off, copycat companies who claim to be original when they know they are clearly not.
Once again, Glassman and Twight were collaborators at one point. And it's impossible for you to say that they copy Crossfit when they helped with Crossfit in the beginning, and when athletes have been combining circuits, sprints, intervals, etc for decades. Crossfit just published it online, and when it got big suddenly all interval training methods became "Crossfit". Whole9 was a Crossfit affiliate at one point too, but they had a fallout with HQ and now they do their own thing too.

Crossfit Inc is a brand name, and maybe you need to get past that...