CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I am entering the CFT at the Crossfit games next week. While I am not planning on beating anyone in my weight class (up to 90kg) I am planning on besting my PR's. I am looking for the best way to attack this portion of the games and how heavy I should take my warmup without bringing my competition weights down.

I hit 3 PR's last night with the CFT done at my garage gym. 100kg for the Squat, 65kg for the Press, and 120kg for the Deadlift. For a warmup I started with 10x bar only squats followed by a 5x at 60 kg. My three squat attempts went like 80-90-100 with about 2-3 minutes gap in between. I think that I could hit 110 but without a spotter I didnt want to get stuck in the hole (this already happened once to me and the bar left some nasty bruises on my back from the slide down), but I digress. My press warmup was a short one with a 5x press of 50kg. My three attepmts went as 60-65-70(F). I am really close to that 70 and Im slightly peeved that I couldnt get it up. My Deadlift warmup was a 5x of 70-kg. Attempts were 90kg-100kg-120kg.

So, as you can see, not very heavy, and Im sure not very competitive for the meet, but I am going to give it my all no matter what. Were my warmups sufficient? Were the steps too big for the attempts? Im really nervous about this meet so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Get that loser talk out of your head! :wink: If you go into the competition thinking you'll do poorly, then you will. Your goal is to improve upon your own numbers. Would you rather win your class and miss your previous total by 15kg or finish 10th with a PR in every lift?

Plan your day and execute according to that plan. Don't let others take you out of your game. Chances are you'll feed off the energy there and hit your numbers.

Warmups are an individual thing. Play with it until YOU feel properly warmed up. I follow the CFT article warmup for the most part with more warmups for squats, fewer for press, and almost none for deadlift.

Enjoy yourself, Nick. Plan your lifts and lift your plan. Best of luck!