CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
My 1RM Back Squat is now a 5RM! - And looking for some possible critique as well.

Finally hit a 200# back squat on SS, and I havent squatted this much since around April. Today I hit it for 5. Anywho, just looking for some feedback and critique. All links WFS.

Back Squat 200x3x5 - Some depth-iffy reps here, but most were low enough. I should really wear 2 contrasting colors for shirt and shorts to see my hip angle better. Ah well. :P

Overhead Press 110x3x5 - Huge fight for the final rep of the last set. Watch it, you won't be disappointed . Also, I noticed when I get fatigued, my elbows come backwards, I keep having to remind myself to bring them forward, especially near the end of the set.

Power Clean 120x5x3 - Played around with different hip angles in setup, yet to find something I'm happy with.

Looking for feedback of any sort.

Thanks, Frankel.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: My 1RM Back Squat is now a 5RM! - And looking for some possible critique as well.

Squats are looking good. Maybe a couple of them were just an 1" high. Looked pretty easy for you.

Way to work hard on the press. Be careful not to overextend the lower back.

I'm no good at powercleans, so can't comment.

Keep working hard.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Neil Kanterman

Profile:
Re: My 1RM Back Squat is now a 5RM! - And looking for some possible critique as well.

Squat-Hip drive, hip drive, hip drive! Really focus on driving up and forward with your hips. Looks good though perhaps a touch high as mentioned on a few.

Press- As soon as the bar clears your face, drive your head under. The sooner you get the bar centered over your base the better. You are poking your head through at lockout.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Looks pretty solid to me. Driving your knees out will probably fix the depth issue. You're also giving away some strength by feeling out the bottom position before coming out of the hole--once you get a little more confident with the movement you'll be able to get a distinct down and up with a better stretch/reflex bounce out of the hole. The extra 2" of depth will probably help with that too since you'll be loading your hamstrings up more.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Yeah some of those squats were about an inch high, but all in all not a bad set. I'd reccommend getting some shoes with a heel, would probably help with depth. It did for me.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Can anyone comment on his power cleans? I'm no expert but I'd like to see if anyone finds his elbows to be too low and if they would suggest loosening his grip a bit.

Good job on your strength gains Daniel. I'm glad you listened to everyone's advice.. now you're reaping the benefits while your classmates are curling and crunching. lol
Old 08-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
Can anyone comment on his power cleans? I'm no expert but I'd like to see if anyone finds his elbows to be too low and if they would suggest loosening his grip a bit.

Good job on your strength gains Daniel. I'm glad you listened to everyone's advice.. now you're reaping the benefits while your classmates are curling and crunching. lol
I'm curious to know about my power cleans as well. Maybe I'll contact Tamara through FB. and thanks a lot Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with linear progression during the school year, but I don't have to worry about it for a couple weeks anyways :P.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Looks pretty solid to me. Driving your knees out will probably fix the depth issue. You're also giving away some strength by feeling out the bottom position before coming out of the hole--once you get a little more confident with the movement you'll be able to get a distinct down and up with a better stretch/reflex bounce out of the hole. The extra 2" of depth will probably help with that too since you'll be loading your hamstrings up more.
Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'll try shoving my knees out more and see how it goes. I just cant tell the difference between my technique in some of my reps. The pins in my rack at the lowest setting allow me to JUST hit proper depth (my first rep of most sets) without the bar touching them. However, I can also squat and end up hitting the pins without proper depth, so I guess I need to push my chest out more in the bottom and make sure my wieght is further back on my midfoot, as it may be coming forwards when I descend.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
I'm curious to know about my power cleans as well. Maybe I'll contact Tamara through FB. and thanks a lot Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with linear progression during the school year, but I don't have to worry about it for a couple weeks anyways :P.
I have less that perfect form when power cleaning (as you can probably see from my picture to the left) but these actually look pretty solid. His hand position is kind of narrow, but that could be optimal for his body type. I use the thumb measurement for all my lifts. (Squat, press, bench, clean, deadlift etc) and my grip is the same on all of them (different for snatch obviously). I'm 5'11.5.

In the first couple videos it looked like your upper back was losing tightness on the ascent, but I saw when you did the side view it just may have been just the camera angle.

All in all I think they look solid, but don't take my word for it. Probably better to wait for one of the oly guru's on here to comment.

P.S.

On the press, can't really see your knees but it looks like they may be bending a bit when you started to struggle and lean back. Maybe not though because again they're not in view.

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 08-27-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
John Kaupp

Profile:

Power cleans- as the bar comes up, push the knees back more and get your shoulders over the bar more. The big problem is that you are catching the bar too low on your chest. You want to catch it up on your shoulders, almost against your throat. The bar should be against your throat with your elbows up when your feet hit the floor in the landing position. Drop the hips another inch or two to get yourself under the bar.
Widening your grip may help this. At the Oly certs we teach a thumb and a knuckle or two thumb lengths off the smooth part of the bar. This should help the turnover being quicker.