CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #41
Michael Dowling

Profile:
Re: No spotter for noob...bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
Very well.

To me it seems that he was saying that the false grip may be better suited for injury recovery and powerlifting (talking about the wider grip that can be achieved) .
the reason why dave used it for his injury recovery was because it redistributed the weight to his triceps and took the pressure off his chest and shoulders.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #42
Nicholas Borek

Profile:

Quote:
just got back from the gym and i had to do a bench press 5 X 3 of 185 on week 5 of this strength program. i switched over to closed thumbs and it was definitely different, not terrible but i felt more pressure on my shoulders, the false grip or suicide grip is much more comfortable. but i'll see if can keep progressing pain free with closed thumbs.
My buddy's brother cracked open his skull by dropping a light bar over his face trying to rerack. Blood, bits of skull poking out. That probably hurt more than your thumbs.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #43
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Borek View Post
My buddy's brother cracked open his skull by dropping a light bar over his face trying to rerack. Blood, bits of skull poking out. That probably hurt more than your thumbs.
yeah you're right because your buddy hurt himself everyone should stop doing it. has your buddy ever been in a car accident? maybe we all should stop driving? olympic weightlifters at times crush themselves on a failed snatch, should the sport be oulawed?

i've seen people hurt themselves squatting and watched someone take an 80 dumbbell in the face and that was with a spotter. at least watch the video i provided by a guy who is pretty knowledgable before making a judgment on it. people get hurt all the time doing a myriad of activities including benching with closed thumbs.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 04-24-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #44
Nicholas Borek

Profile:

Thats some air tight f%#$ing logic right there, man.

Statistically, if you're going to die in a weight room, its because you dropped the bar on your face benching, its far and away the #1 killer. The easiest way to do that is with a thumbless grip. You are seriously justifying endangering your own life because A. someone on the internet says it engages your triceps more (which is complete BS) and B. because the safe way to do it makes your thumbs hurt. How old are you? I've seen some silly, ignorant stuff written on internet forums, but that takes the cake.

If you're lurking and reading this, thats really terrible advice that could kill you in a really embarrassing way. Seriously.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #45
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

David Little can help explain why it's important to have a spotter on bench press regardless of your weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Little_(linebacker) (WFS)

"Little died on March 17, 2005 as the result of a weight-lifting accident; he was 46 years old.[8] Little suffered from heart disease and experienced a cardiac flutter while lifting weights at his Miami home; he dropped 250 pounds of weights on his chest, which rolled onto his neck and suffocated him.[8]"
Old 04-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #46
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Borek View Post
Thats some air tight f%#$ing logic right there, man.

Statistically, if you're going to die in a weight room, its because you dropped the bar on your face benching, its far and away the #1 killer. The easiest way to do that is with a thumbless grip. You are seriously justifying endangering your own life because A. someone on the internet says it engages your triceps more (which is complete BS) and B. because the safe way to do it makes your thumbs hurt. How old are you? I've seen some silly, ignorant stuff written on internet forums, but that takes the cake.

If you're lurking and reading this, thats really terrible advice that could kill you in a really embarrassing way. Seriously.

like clockwork anytime there is any sort of drama in a thread you're there with argumentative way over the top simplification of the topic. you are nearing troll territory here.

how many people die bench pressing? i would probably be better off worrying about getting killed by a rabid racoon. i mean is it something to really make such a case over?

i said it isn't for everyone, provided some points backed up by some respected people like tate. you bring nothing but over the top hyperbole.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 04-24-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #47
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

"The best spotter in the world cannot react quickly enough to save you from a dropped bar." Mark Rippetoe, Starting Strength 2nd ed Basic Barbell Training, pg 76. Both pages 76 and 77 go into why he feels the false grip is inferior and unsafe.

As far as Date Tate saying that more people are injured from conventional rather than the false grip; that's most likely true. But the statement needs to be taken in context. More often than not people bench press using the thumbs around method, therefore the number of injuries from said method are going to be higher. And less people use the thumbless grip, so those number of injuries will be inherently less.

Now if we look at the percentage of people that drop the bar with the false grip versus those that drop it with the conventional grip, I believe that statistically you are more likely to drop a bar with the false grip as oppose to conventional, seeing as the false grip is inherently less safe. Think of it as injuries from use of grip per capita.

*Keep in mind that I do not have any actual numbers on the amount of people using one grip or the other. More people seem to argue against the false grip rather than for it, therefore my argument is based on the observation that more people use a conventional grip.

And as far as dropping the weight when you have no spotter; DO NOT COLLAR THE WEIGHT. If you're bench pressing alone then no one will be around to be injured from a catapulting barbell.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #48
Nicholas Borek

Profile:

Quote:
i said it isn't for everyone, provided some points backed up by some respected people like tate. you bring nothing but over the top hyperbole.
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally OK with you benching with a thumbless grip.

Saying its the number 1 killer in the weight room is not a simplification or over the top hyperbole. There is no real benefit to doing it, if your shoulders hurt its because you're probably letting your elbows flair too much and should use a narrower grip and if it makes your thumbs hurt, man the f**k up. None of this outweighs the very real danger of having a couple hundred pounds over the most critical parts of your body held in an inherently less safe grip.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #49
Michael Dowling

Profile:

we'll agree to disagree at this point, no sense in arguing something that is subjective to each individual.

i did try the grip with closed thumbs last week and it was ok, not as nice as the thumbless but you guys gave me some food for thought.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #50
Doug Lantz

Profile:

Bench in the power rack with the pins set so the bar can touch your elevated chest but not your neck or face and use any grip you want.