CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-18-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
Barney Lord

Profile:
Just curious to know what people considered examples of immense strength, forgetting weightlifting as I think every bodybuilding exercise can demonstrate immense strength by lifting heavy poundage.

I think the exercises I admire most are 1 arm chins, triple clap pushups and The Flag (Im still struggling to believe anybody can actually do that)
http://www.beastskills.com/Flag.htm

Your thoughts?

B
Old 10-18-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
As clarification Barney: It sounds as though you are looking for examples of immense RELATIVE strength (strength relative to bodyweight). As impressive as some of those things are, the difference is real. There was a post on the boards a while back called, "Can you do this". Check it out -do a search from the main page. You'll see a freakishly strong guy in terms of relative strength who probably couldn't get the first Atlas Stone off the ground (not that I could either.)
Old 10-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Flags are tough, but easier than many gymnastics strength moves. A lot of it is about proper positioning. Getting your bottom shoulder really in position is crucial. There's a vid on YouTube of a guy doing flag leg lifts. He pulls from about 60 deg below horisontal to almost vertical through a flag for reps. He also does flag pull/push ups. In a flag pulling into the bar then pushing away from it maintaining horizontal the whole time. So, yeah, totally doable and then some.

But as noted much easier for small folks, but I can do it at 5' 11". I'd be interested in seeing someone at 6' 5" or more doing it.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Graham Tidey

Profile:
For crazy, crazy strength just watch any gymnastics competition. The guys on those rings are doing things that would make me snap in half.

And anyone who can OHS their bodyweight gets a impressed nod in my opinion.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Bodyweight OHSQ is relatively easy. Do it 15 times and now you're talking about real functional strength.

My big (weightlifting) goal is to clean and jerk 150% of bodyweight by improving my technique (as opposed to adding a ton of leg mass, which would screw up my climbing). I've cleaned and jerked 235 at a bodyweight of 179 (though not recently), so I'm hopeful that 270 is not outside the realm of possibility. As far as I am concerned, the clean and jerk is the king of lifts.

(My big "primary" goal for now is to lead the Vampire, a technical 5.11a which is regarded as a local classic. Honestly, I suspect I'll achieve my primary goal a lot sooner than the 275# C&J.)

Watch Shane Hamman flicking around 200kg like it was a technique bar -- that's some immense power for you. (He also squats 1000lbs+ and has done something like a 60" box jump -- watch the video!)

And of course, anyone who can do a maltese, a one-arm front lever, or an inverted iron cross may as well be from another planet. Insane strength.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
I'm 6.5, 250+lbs and I hate 'em. Try as I might I feel like I am ripping my arms out of the shoulder sockets. At best I can only hold myself off of the ground about 4 inches. I look more like a sagging wind sock as opposed to a flag unfurled and flying free in the wind. But, because it is a challenge I must stubbornly press on and keep trying to perfect it.:angry000:
Old 10-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Well Peter, when you get it solid we want to see. Just don't take out any sign posts in the process :-)
Old 10-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I've been playing with the flags a lot lately. In Boston I was demonstrating for Kelly Moore and held a nice, slightly higher than horizontal flag for about 6-8 seconds, by far my best. After a quick tutorial, Kelly proceeded to actually pop up and stall for a split-second before lowering slowly...ridiculous considering most people crumple to a heap without even getting off the ground on their first attempt... :p
Old 10-18-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I always thought stalder presses and L presses were really cool. Not super hard, but I just always sucked at presses. Maybe I should devote some time to working on just that. :D
Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Kevin, I too think a stalder press to hand series is awesome, especially say on a beam or sometin.
Als, that's far more of a pipedream for me. I remember about 5 years ago, after trying and trying, I found it was just easier to work planches and planche the press.
Unfortunately, it don't work like that anymore...though if it did I would take that over the tediousness and struggle of hip flexor activation in a true press.
After first seeing Beastskills last year, I started playing with the Flags but it's more to me about committing to the skill and getting over that fall.

Peter, go for it. That would be really cool to see a big guy like you do a flag. Mind boggling like the time I saw a guy your height in a back tumbling series in my college tumbling class. The very floor shook! I've also seen a guy around your weight do a standing back but he was considerely shorter and an ex running back.