CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
CFFB or CFWF?

I am stuck as to whether I should do CFFB or CFWF. I am 5'10 140-142lbs and want to get stronger, gain 15-20lbs, and maintain some conditioning. I've been doing CFFB for the past three weeks and like it, but after seeing the layout for CFWF I'm thinking about switching to it due to hitting each lift at least once, squats being 2x/week, and not as many metcons. The only problem is how to program the metcons, I know they should be heavy and short (6-10mins), but I have never programmed metcons before. I am not doing SS because my right hamstring is still not 100% from when I injured it, and recovering from squatting 3x/week was pretty hard when I was at college (did a cycle last fall) due to sleep issues. I was eating enough and started very low for weights, so I'm positive it was due to sleep, which was 5-6hrs per night.

So given all of this info, which one would be better for me given my goals? Or are they pretty much equal in terms of developing strength while maintaining some conditioning? I should add that after metcons I don't really have an appetite and have to force down food, whereas with strength workouts it's easier for me to eat something right after.

I searched for this but didn't really find an answer, only a recommendation to do one or the other.

Last edited by Joe Bernard : 09-13-2010 at 11:10 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: CFFB or CFWF?

They are fairly similar, though with CFSB you can tailor your metcons to your specific goals and recovery. There is a list of heavy metcon on the fitness or exercizes page.

ANd you need to eat more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Jason A Smith
Member Jason A Smith is offline
 
Jason A Smith's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brandon  MB Canada
Posts: 2,659
Re: CFFB or CFWF?

Joe,

I follow CFFB and I guess the question to you is.....what are YOUR goals ? My goal was to get strong and quick (something I like in spades) and I also wanted something I did not have to program. So CFFB works great for my goals right now. However, I will likely start playing hockey this winter (for fun) and likely will do a little less training which will take me either to In-Season (on CFFB which is an option for you too) or to the CFWF incorporating some conditioning work (likely from CFFB). My next move after this is to learn how to do some Oly lifting, which I will likely follow on olyathlete.com. At some point when I feel like I have adressed most of my weaknesses (gymnastics would be in there as well) and I am happy where I am at I will likely return to the mainpage for a stretch. Right now I am still really liking lifting heavy.

What are your current stats, CFFB also squats (usually) 2Xweek. Follow it for 4 months and you could add between 70-80 lbs on your squat. I think three weeks is still a little early to tell. Most of the real studs over at CFFB have been on it for a year or so. Follow the program, eat and the rest will fall into place.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Tim Nakashima
Member Tim Nakashima is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bakersfield  CA
Posts: 712
Re: CFFB or CFWF?

My brother was in a similar situation: 5'11" 138#. I put him on CFWF, starting light, eating a LOT, drinking a LOT of milk and now, 6 weeks later, he's up to 160#. His strength has been going through the roof and the 2 metcons a week aren't too taxing for him to recover in time to continue making strength gains.

As far as metcons go, I've been programming a mix of sled drags, tire flips, clean and jerks, power snatches, kettlebell swings, etc. relatively heavy, but really focusing on technique as his strength comes along.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either program.

Tim
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Re: CFFB or CFWF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Joe,

I follow CFFB and I guess the question to you is.....what are YOUR goals ? My goal was to get strong and quick (something I like in spades) and I also wanted something I did not have to program. So CFFB works great for my goals right now. However, I will likely start playing hockey this winter (for fun) and likely will do a little less training which will take me either to In-Season (on CFFB which is an option for you too) or to the CFWF incorporating some conditioning work (likely from CFFB). My next move after this is to learn how to do some Oly lifting, which I will likely follow on olyathlete.com. At some point when I feel like I have adressed most of my weaknesses (gymnastics would be in there as well) and I am happy where I am at I will likely return to the mainpage for a stretch. Right now I am still really liking lifting heavy.

What are your current stats, CFFB also squats (usually) 2Xweek. Follow it for 4 months and you could add between 70-80 lbs on your squat. I think three weeks is still a little early to tell. Most of the real studs over at CFFB have been on it for a year or so. Follow the program, eat and the rest will fall into place.
General goals were stated in my first post: get stronger (hamstring permitting), gain 15-20lbs, and maintain some conditioning. I lost 25lbs from December to July, no idea why, so I lost a bunch of strength as well. As of now, my current 1RM (from the CFFB total last friday) are:

Squat: 150
Deadlift: 205
Bench: 150
Press: Don't know, probably around 100-105
Clean: 135

Some specific goals would be to get my squat up to at least 200lbs, and DL up to at least 300lbs, more would be nice. Not looking to become a firebreather, just stronger in general and not be mistaken for an XC runner.

I know three weeks of CFFB is too early to tell, it's just that I think (and feel) that four metcons per week is cutting into my strength gains. Plus, metcons do not make me nearly as hungry as just lifting heavy does. When I did SS last fall I could eat alot and not feel so full that the next day I would not eat much (which is happening now). I'd like to focus more on strength stuff, which CFWF does, because I love lifting (relatively) heavy stuff and it would benefit me more.

I think that CFFB would be good to go back to once I have gained a decent amount of strength. Take today's CFFB metcon for example, I used 100lbs for the push press (probably should have used 110lbs), which is alot of scaling. I love the programming, it's just that it is probably too much conditioning for my goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
My brother was in a similar situation: 5'11" 138#. I put him on CFWF, starting light, eating a LOT, drinking a LOT of milk and now, 6 weeks later, he's up to 160#. His strength has been going through the roof and the 2 metcons a week aren't too taxing for him to recover in time to continue making strength gains.

As far as metcons go, I've been programming a mix of sled drags, tire flips, clean and jerks, power snatches, kettlebell swings, etc. relatively heavy, but really focusing on technique as his strength comes along.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either program.

Tim
That's good to hear about your brother Tim, I'm hoping to experience the same thing with either program. I found the PDF of the CFWF program while doing some more searching on google and it has some metcons on there, so I'll use those to start out with and try incorporating some of the things you mentioned. Would using metcons from CFFB work?

After thinking about it for a bit, especially after today's CFFB WOD, I'm going to switch to CFWF. When I began CFFB, I started each lift at 75% of my 5RM, should I just continue with where I am at regarding my progressions with each lift for CFWF or start from scratch again?

Last edited by Joe Bernard : 09-13-2010 at 02:22 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Re: CFFB or CFWF?

If for some reason I cannot workout on one of the days of the CFWF program, could I combine two days to make up for it? Like if I know I can't make it to the gym one friday, could I do the squat and press (from thursday's workout) with the deadlift (friday's workout) on thursday and just drop the metcon?

Last edited by Joe Bernard : 09-13-2010 at 09:02 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Tim Nakashima
Member Tim Nakashima is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bakersfield  CA
Posts: 712
Re: CFFB or CFWF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post

That's good to hear about your brother Tim, I'm hoping to experience the same thing with either program. I found the PDF of the CFWF program while doing some more searching on google and it has some metcons on there, so I'll use those to start out with and try incorporating some of the things you mentioned. Would using metcons from CFFB work?

After thinking about it for a bit, especially after today's CFFB WOD, I'm going to switch to CFWF. When I began CFFB, I started each lift at 75% of my 5RM, should I just continue with where I am at regarding my progressions with each lift for CFWF or start from scratch again?
Metcons from CFFB would be great as long as they fit in with your cycle (ie you wouldn't want to do a leg intensive metcon a couple days before squatting).

Regarding continuing each lift where you left off, as long as you were doing "sets across" for all lifts, and you aren't close to stalling, then I'd keep going. Just keep in mind, the heavier the weight is now, the sooner you'll stall and have to reset (especially squats because you go up 10#/week).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
If for some reason I cannot workout on one of the days of the CFWF program, could I combine two days to make up for it? Like if I know I can't make it to the gym one friday, could I do the squat and press (from thursday's workout) with the deadlift (friday's workout) on thursday and just drop the metcon?
I wouldn't recommend combining the two days. However, if you're still early in your progression and the weights are light and you can handle it, then go for it. IMO it depends entirely on how YOU feel. I definitely wouldn't recommend making up a missed workout by combining it with the following days workout (lack of recovery for the next workout).

Good luck,

Tim
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Re: CFFB or CFWF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Metcons from CFFB would be great as long as they fit in with your cycle (ie you wouldn't want to do a leg intensive metcon a couple days before squatting).

Regarding continuing each lift where you left off, as long as you were doing "sets across" for all lifts, and you aren't close to stalling, then I'd keep going. Just keep in mind, the heavier the weight is now, the sooner you'll stall and have to reset (especially squats because you go up 10#/week).

I wouldn't recommend combining the two days. However, if you're still early in your progression and the weights are light and you can handle it, then go for it. IMO it depends entirely on how YOU feel. I definitely wouldn't recommend making up a missed workout by combining it with the following days workout (lack of recovery for the next workout).

Good luck,

Tim
I'm thinking fridays will be the day to do any leg intensive exercises, if that. Definitely don't want to do alot on tuesday and not be ready for thursday's squats.

I was doing sets across for the lifts, only problem is in the past three weeks that I've been doing CFFB the 5x3 squats have been done much more than anything else. I started with weights for each lift that would have me hit my previous 5RM in 4-5weeks, but only the squats (and the press somewhat due to starting a bit too high) are close. Bench, Power Clean, and Deadlift are still easy, at least 3-4 weeks away from hitting previous 5RM. I started the squats out at 95lbs and my previous 5RM was 125 (yea I know). The next workout will be 125, but 120 was not bad at all, and I have fractional plates (1.25lbs) if the weight gets too heavy to increase by 5lbs/workout. Squats were the first lift to get really hard anyways when I did a cycle of SS.

About missing workouts, if I combine two and drop the metcon then it would just be a normal SS workout, which is why I thought it would be ok to do. But I'll see how I feel and take it from there. Thanks for your help!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5K training and CFFB Brad Butler Fitness 15 05-06-2010 10:49 PM
Hypertrophy with CFFB Ian Strand Fitness 28 12-29-2009 09:49 AM
SS to CFFB Transition Sheldon Danley Fitness 15 12-02-2009 11:27 AM
CFFB, CFSB...Help! Andrew Schechterly Fitness 20 11-10-2009 04:56 PM
Scotts CFWF Program Log Scott Lowther Workout Logs 1 10-17-2009 07:46 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.