CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Fun with salads

Let's face it, the traditional American salad is pretty boring. Big pile of lettuce, smaller piles of chopped cucumber and carrot, tossed with oil and vinegar and maybe some herbs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but every. single. day? *yawn* And if you're eating paleo or Zone, you should probably be having salads every day, if not every meal.

I don't eat paleo myself, but this is the time of year when salad greens are overflowing the tables at the farmer's markets. I prefer my greens cooked, but if I'm going to practice the "seasonal and local" gospel that I preach, I really ought to do more with salads. So I've been experimenting.

(This whole post will be old news for those with lots of kitchen experience. Feel free to add your own ideas, too! Mainly intended for those who think salads are for rabbits.)

Sally Schneider's cookbooks -- The Improvisational Cook, A New Way to Cook -- are a great source for ideas. She's a leading exponent of the "healthy food should taste good" school, and also recognizes that easily modifiable recipes are essential if you're going to take advantage of local ingredients. These ideas are mostly borrowed from her.

* Be creative with greens. You can make a whole salad with herbs -- cilantro, parsley, basil, etc. Lettuce is great, but what about dandelion leaves? Bok choy? Watercress? Any leaf that can be eaten raw can serve as all of part of the salad base.

* Be creative with add-ons. Sure, carrots and cucumber and green onion and bell peppers. But also green beans, pea shoots, fresh fruit, dried fruit, chopped nuts. Sliced meat, sliced cheese.

* And don't forget the dressing. Sesame, coconut, or avocado oil. Sherry vinegar, citrus juice. Maybe a spritz of mustard, or a few slices of fresh ginger or garlic. More herbs, either fresh or dried.

Some recent examples:
Cilantro leaves and thin-sliced cucumber, tossed with a sesame oil and lime juice dressing with a couple slices of ginger. For a main course, I would have added some sliced chicken.

Mixed lettuces with dandelion leaves, fresh cherries, and pine nuts, dressed with olive oil, lime juice, sherry and balsamic vinegars, and fresh cracked pepper. Prosciutto and/or shaved parmesan cheese would have been good to turn this into a full meal.

Bon appetit!

Katherine
Old 08-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Robert Newman

Profile:
Re: Fun with salads

I have a really big salad every night. I'm not sure how original or interesting it is lol, but here's what I do:

Base - a ton of baby spring leaves (HEB brand organic baby spring leaves.. I can't list them all but it's like 3.50$ for a pound)
whole cucumber
2 roma tomatoes
some green onions
whole hass avocado (the large kind)
3 stalks celery
sea salt + cracked peppercorn medley

Dressing
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 part balsamic vinegar : 3 parts olive oil (whatever volume you want)

It's pretty simple; nothing surprising but it tastes very good and I totally love eating it every night. I was never really a big salad eater so this gets me my greens every day

Also, for those who do not like salads but want greens- if you make a fruit smoothie you can blend in any amount of spinach you want and you won't taste any of it {bananas, strawberries, blueberries, giant glob of spinach}
Old 08-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Challenge yourself to find and use local wild plantlife for your salads occasionally. It's amazing what one can find with a good guidebook and a little bit of knowledge.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Christine Theodore Amicucci

Profile:

101 Simple Salads for the Season http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...2&pagewanted=1 (WFS)

There are some delicious salads in that list.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Neal Carlson

Profile:

Iím all for different recipes and experimenting, but I have to comment that I think I will never tire of fresh mixed salad with a good, fresh olive oil vinaigrette and either feta or blue cheese. MMMMMM. Just a bit of cheese and I canít eat it fast enough.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Daniel Quinn

Profile:

Our garden is exploding with tomatoes and cucumbers at the moment. Tonight, I made a salad of thick-sliced tomatoes and cucumbers sliced thin with a mandolin.

Toss with balsamic vinegar. Serve in bowls, sprinkled with a few pinches of a salt/sugar (gasp!!!) mixture.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Quinn View Post
sprinkled with a few pinches of a salt/sugar (gasp!!!) mixture.
Get. Out.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
Mary Jo Bergbauer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Theodore Amicucci View Post
101 Simple Salads for the Season http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...2&pagewanted=1 (WFS)

There are some delicious salads in that list.
Thanks for the website - these look great.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Quinn View Post
Our garden is exploding with tomatoes and cucumbers at the moment. Tonight, I made a salad of thick-sliced tomatoes and cucumbers sliced thin with a mandolin.

Toss with balsamic vinegar. Serve in bowls, sprinkled with a few pinches of a salt/sugar (gasp!!!) mixture.
I love the simplicity of salads like this. Add some vidalia onion for pure heaven.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Meghan Reid

Profile:

My favorite restaurant in Philadelphia has this amazing salad. It's the only restaurant meal I really, really crave.

It has: Baby spinach, dried cherries, dried cranberries, or orange slices depending on season, pistachios, shaved sharp parmesan, and SMOKED DUCK. And some kind of delicious citrus mint vinaigrette. It's incredible.