CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Matthew Reilly

Profile:
Basic Training Prep

I'll be starting basic training at the Air Force Academy at the end of June. I'm looking for recommendations on how to best prepare myself. Obviously work capacity is critical as the training will consist of lots of running and hi rep calisthenics. I'm finishing up SS and trying to decide what to do next (main site, CFE, etc). For all the military members on this forum: how did you prepare for basic training/deployment? Any and all recommendations welcome.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Basic Training Prep

Main site is a good introduction to GPP for anyone in the military. In the summer of 2008 I got my highest USMC PFT score yet while doing zero training for it aside from CF.com, and I did that while also building strength and metcon capacity. Once you're adapted to the workload a little CFE wouldn't hurt either...you don't want your joints and bones to be completely deconditioned to the pounding they take when you run on pavement or hike in boots. Give that a shot for a month or two then adjust if it's not meeting your goals. Add in a little more strength work, some sprint intervals, find an affiliate with solid programming and follow them online, or try something like OPT's programming.

You didn't mention your starting numbers, CF experience, and more specific goals--a little more background information would help you get better advice.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Run. If you are already a good runner, run a little. If you're not, run a lot. The military likes to run and you must prepare for it. Running is a skill and no amount of CF style metcon is going to teach you to run properly or prepare your lower extremities for the pounding of a high mileage running program. Moreover, running is psychologically different than a CF metcon and you must prepare for the psychological challenge as well as the physiological.

You have your whole life to focus on GPP, strength, or whatever else you desire. Dedicate the few months prior to entering the military to become good at running, pushups and situps.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
Run. If you are already a good runner, run a little. If you're not, run a lot. The military likes to run and you must prepare for it. Running is a skill and no amount of CF style metcon is going to teach you to run properly or prepare your lower extremities for the pounding of a high mileage running program. Moreover, running is psychologically different than a CF metcon and you must prepare for the psychological challenge as well as the physiological.

You have your whole life to focus on GPP, strength, or whatever else you desire. Dedicate the few months prior to entering the military to become good at running, pushups and situps.
I echo this. Do the CFE WOD's 3-4 days/week coupled with either CFE's S&C WOD or another metcon 4-5 days/week and look into the POSE method, buy the book and DVD. If you can get better form down you're much more likely to be able to breeze through all that running without getting any overtraining/overuse injuries, not to mention you'll run more efficiently which will lead to faster times on the PFT.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Michael Ingley

Profile:

I really found that there is about two main ways, one is build up GPP and adapt accordingly once you get there, since the GPP you built will allow you to make considerable gains and adapt quickly this way works, but it definitely hard in the beginning, but in the end you will be a better athlete than the kids who had SPP in military style exercise. The easier way is the just specialize in the bodyweight cal/running/swimming stuff before you go and then build GPP after, either way works but if you get bad PFT scores then you should probably specialize more, perhaps you could do CFE + body weight only metcons for a long time?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
not to mention you'll run more efficiently which will lead to faster times on the PFT.
Now if only they would let me wear my VFFs...

Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate the feedback.