CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Chad Ryan

Profile:
Nutrition Critique

So, I am 6'3", 224 pounds. In the past month I have lost about 10 pounds doing Zone/Paleo. Recently, I dropped the Zone aspect as I wasn't taking in enough calories each day - so I am just doing Paleo and have increased my protein and fats, while trying to keep my carbs as low as possible. The thing is I am still eating well below what I should be (I believe). I ran what I have eaten and plan on eating today through FitDay and this is what I came up with:

Calories: 1,867, Fat: 77.1, Carbs: 121.0, Protein: 1,867

This week I started doing Crossfit 3 on 1 off. I think my calories are too low. I would like to drop another 5 - 8 pounds but would like to do so slowly over the next month or so and thought about eating around 2400 calories a day to do so. Does bumping up the protein and some fat sound like a good way to go?

Here is a link to today's Food Log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...ml?Owner=crcfl

I appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

Chad
Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Nutrition Critique

You food choices look sound, its just going to be a matter of tinkering with things and seeing how it goes. I definitely think more protein would be good for you if you're hitting things hard and/or are doing any other strength training. You also definitely need more calories. 1800 for 6'3, 224 is WAY too low. Try for like 2400+

Just try "more protein and more fat" as you described, and see where it takes you. If it doesn't work out... reassess.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

6'3" and 224 is pretty lean, my suggestion would be to gain weight, 250 or so.

If you want to be under 210, I would raise the calories, you'll burn out eating that little.

You are eating more carbs that fat, change that. Your numbers seem to be off

1867 kCal of protein, which has 4 kCal/gram

kCal / (kCal/gram) = gram

1867 k Cal/ (4 kCal/gram) = 466 grams

there are 7 gram Protein/ once of beef

466 grams Protein / (7 grams/once of beef) = 66once = 4 lbs of beef
Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
6'3" and 224 is pretty lean, my suggestion would be to gain weight, 250 or so.

If you want to be under 210, I would raise the calories, you'll burn out eating that little.

You are eating more carbs that fat, change that. Your numbers seem to be off

1867 kCal of protein, which has 4 kCal/gram

kCal / (kCal/gram) = gram

1867 k Cal/ (4 kCal/gram) = 466 grams

there are 7 gram Protein/ once of beef

466 grams Protein / (7 grams/once of beef) = 66once = 4 lbs of beef
Yeah, his fitday said differently.

Also, Chad... I agree with Jamie. You might be at the point where you feel like you could have slightly better body composition, but you just don't have enough to support it. As hard is it might sound, you might want to try to specifically put on muscle... then cut down after you do.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Chad Ryan

Profile:

Thanks to you both for the great suggestions. I will try to up both the fats and protein in each of my meals and keep the carbs where they are at. I am pretty happy with my body composition at this point. I come from a heavy lifting background, but I have changed this up since doing Crossfit and so was trying to get as lean as possible without sacrificing muscle mass. My goal was 219 but I am in that place where I am really happy with my lifts and I don't want to start losing size and strength through a low calorie diet. I don't want to start gaining body fat by increasing the calories too much though! It's that precarious balance.

Like you mentioned Bo - it will probably take some tweaking and I am slowly breaking my long standing fear of fats. I have read Mastering the Zone, The Paleo Diet, researched Robb Wolf's website and Mark's Daily Apple and have the Primal Blueprint and Paleo for Athletes on the way and still I think about - "Should I eat this many nuts, or should I have another half of avocado?" LOL

Jamie - You are right - that is a typo - it should read: Protein: 177
Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ryan View Post
Thanks to you both for the great suggestions. I will try to up both the fats and protein in each of my meals and keep the carbs where they are at. I am pretty happy with my body composition at this point. I come from a heavy lifting background, but I have changed this up since doing Crossfit and so was trying to get as lean as possible without sacrificing muscle mass. My goal was 219 but I am in that place where I am really happy with my lifts and I don't want to start losing size and strength through a low calorie diet. I don't want to start gaining body fat by increasing the calories too much though! It's that precarious balance.
If this is the case, forget the freakin' scale. Just go mostly by your lifting performance and looking in the mirror. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
Chad Ryan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
If this is the case, forget the freakin' scale. Just go mostly by your lifting performance and looking in the mirror. Good luck.
LOL - good advice!