CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #61
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

Christian,

Justin also gave you good advice on what to expect from the program and how to set it up.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #62
Christian Holm

Profile:

"So this conversation started 6 days ago.
What have you done to get stronger between now and then?
Stop looking for the perfect program, and just go lift something heavy.
(Also eat more. much more)"

This Justin? I know I will see great results even with Swim, but when Rip tells me to completely avoid his program while on swim it kinda makes it seem like I have to do something drastic to get good results. Thats why we're wondering if extra sleep and food would offset the cardio. I asked him if it would and he said wait till summer. I know I won't reach my full potential but I'm hoping to gain at least 15-20 pounds.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #63
Christian Holm

Profile:

Do guys think it would be okay if I did SS the month leading up to Swim Team, maybe another month during swim team, take a month off, and then go another full focused month. So far that is the best I can come up with time-wise. My goals are to get bigger and stronger for swim team, gain as much as I can that first focused month, try to keep linear gains as long as I can during swim, take a break when I plateau(if I do) and then come back rested and totally focused on SS a month later. Realistically will I see gains between taking a month, or what are you guys opinions. I'm gonna do the program no matter what, it is just a matter of when. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #64
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Why are you even asking? You've clearly already decided what you plan to do. If you're going to ignore advice from one of the best coaches in the business (Rippetoe) about his own program (Starting Strength), you're on your own.

Katherine
Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #65
Paul Siegel

Profile:

You boys sure know how to build a mountain into a mole hill.

I'd figure I'd throw my hat in the ring as I have some experience with an endurance sport (rowing) and Starting Strength.

You can do SS during swimming. I spent the summer lifting heavy (SS novice program) and perfecting my technique on the water. I continued to do it during fall season of rowing. The problem is that endurance sports (particularly the LSD type) are catabolic to muscle growth. Which means that any strength gains can potential be counteracted by your swimming workouts. My squat numbers were down throughout the entirety of the season, same for dead/press/clean/snatch. But my focus wasn't on getting strong, my focus was rowing fast. I knew I would need that strength later (spring season) so I kept doing it at reduced frequency and weight. I came out with a lower 5RM but nowhere near as low as it would have been had I stopped entirely.

I'd say you need to figure out whether you want to be big and strong or swim fast or train for BUD/s. Pick a goal and do it.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #66
Christian Holm

Profile:

"Lifting heavy will not stunt your growth. Inadequate food will. At 125 pounds, he should be eating a LOT more than he is. (Yes, I know making weight for wrestling probably figures into that. Whatever."

"It will never be easier for you to gain muscle than it is right now. You'd be foolish not to take advantage of that."

"Maturity" is not an advantage if you're trying to add muscle. Youth is. Besides which, you don't know where you'll be or what your goals will be two or three years from now. Bank your gains while you can."

"Why are you even asking? You've clearly already decided what you plan to do. If you're going to ignore advice from one of the best coaches in the business (Rippetoe) about his own program (Starting Strength), you're on your own."

Alright Katherine... When people keep posting things like that when I asked earlier whether I should wait or not it kind of messes with my thought process.

I think I'll go with what Paul did, I'll just do my best and hopefully I will results. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #67
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Holm View Post
Alright Katherine... When people keep posting things like that when I asked earlier whether I should wait or not it kind of messes with my thought process.
And the first post in that chain of quotes was two weeks ago. You'd be better off doing just about anything rather than futzing around for two weeks trying to figure out the perfect program.

If you want to get strong, lift heavy stuff. If you want to get good at swimming, swim. If you want to do both at once, go for it, just recognize that you won't maximize either your swimming or your lifting that way.

Katherine
Old 12-19-2009, 12:14 AM   #68
Christian Holm

Profile:

"If you want to get strong, lift heavy stuff. If you want to get good at swimming, swim. If you want to do both at once, go for it, just recognize that you won't maximize either your swimming or your lifting that way."
I understand, I'm just trying to get feedback on how to get the max I can from both be it sleeping more, eating more, or whatever. Also btw, people keep saying I've been doing nothing for the last couple days, I'm in wrestling right now so I've got 3+ hours of grueling training everyday and 8 hour tournaments on the weekends. My cardio is great right now, but of course I'm 125 so I need to work on my lifts. Swim team is in two months and thats when I will have time to work on SS if I so choose. Don't worry, I'm staying fit
Old 12-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #69
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Holm View Post
I understand, I'm just trying to get feedback on how to get the max I can from both be it sleeping more, eating more, or whatever.
Eat a lot, sleep a lot, and watch for signs of overtraining.

I think part of the pushback you're getting is because you appear to be overthinking this. You're asking questions that don't really have clear answers, especially not on the internet among people who don't know you or your training regimen. Even if you had a full-time in-person coach, that coach would have to try stuff, see how it worked, and adjust the program accordingly.

So try stuff, see how it works, and adjust accordingly.

Katherine
Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #70
Christian Holm

Profile:

Yeah, I am definitely over analyzing everything lol. I have 2 months until wrestling is over and then I can finally stop cutting weight and I can get bigger than my weight class. We've asked so many questions because in our spare time we just dream of growing and getting stronger without it being an issue. Thank you to everyone who helped give me and Aidan advice, SS is wayyy better than that bb program we came up with, especially for our goals.