CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

It truly depends on what you mean by "good results."

SS produced very significant strength gains in each of my 3 kids, and their first cycles happened when they were 8, 13, and 14 respectively. After a couple of months, each went from a basis of virtually nothing to squatting work weights at 1.5X their bodyweight, deadlifting 2X bodyweight.

Weight gain will depend on your feats at the dinner table at least as much as on your training regime. But there's no reason to not do an effective linear progression program at your age, and build a bunch of lean bodyweight in the process, if that's your goal.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
I don't mean that swimming will interfere with SS time wise, just that SS (with GOMAD) is supposed to up your testosterone levels while a lot of swimming will probably lower the levels. Correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT:
I am 17, 162lbs 10% Body Fat, 6'1" am I too young to get good results
Endurance work lowers testosterone levels a bit, but that doesn't mean you can't get strong while doing endurance work. Just the mere acts of deadlifting and squatting have been shown to raise testosterone levels.

Aren't most swimming practices based on interval work rather than distance work? Interval work is better than steady-state endurance for test levels anyway.

I would be less concerned about swimming hurting your hormonal levels and instead focusing on not overtraining and getting in enough calories and enough sleep per night, because ultimately that's going to be way more important for your well-being.

I don't think you're too young to get good results. Mark Rippetoe gears a lot of his training advice toward adolescent males anyway.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
John Blount

Profile:

Aidan, you should focus more on eating right now, especially with all the swimming. I used to swim and I know it can burn some serious calories. You might want to shoot for 4k calories a day and monitor your weight; and you might need more then that, depending on how much you burn off swimming. Just try to keep your diet clean. Gomad is a big helper with the calories battle.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
Kurt A Gross

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
I don't mean that swimming will interfere with SS time wise, just that SS (with GOMAD) is supposed to up your testosterone levels while a lot of swimming will probably lower the levels. Correct me if I am wrong.

I just wanted to do SS when I am 18-19 and when I can focus and get really good results

EDIT:
I am 17, 162lbs 10% Body Fat, 6'1" am I too young to get good results
6'1" @ 162lbs is a scarecrow. Eat boy, eat!! At 17, your endocrine system is optimal for growing muscle. You will NEVER again in your entire life have the ability to grow muscle as you do right now, and it will benefit you the rest of your life. Get on the milk and a good program like SS, and advance to an intermediate program when you stop making linear gains. You can swim anytime.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
Ken Weber

Profile:

I know my high school swimming team had a pretty packed practice schedule... and pretty much all of the training consisted of hard intervals. If your practice schedule is really packed I would suggest two days of strength work in-season. Focus on the major lifts and do 5x5 or similar set/rep structures. There's no need (at least in season) to do other metcon type stuff as your CNS will most likely be taxed enough by regular practice and the additional strength work. The combination of swim practice and a couple days a week of extre lifts will probably be a killer combination! Once you get into the off season then you can add in extra stuff. If you feel that 2 days a week is too little, add an extra day. Basically just listen to your body and don't overtrain. I know this isn't exactly answering your question but that's just my two cents.

And good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #16
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt A Gross View Post
6'1" @ 162lbs is a scarecrow. Eat boy, eat!! At 17, your endocrine system is optimal for growing muscle. You will NEVER again in your entire life have the ability to grow muscle as you do right now, and it will benefit you the rest of your life. Get on the milk and a good program like SS, and advance to an intermediate program when you stop making linear gains. You can swim anytime.
Listen to this man. That Draper program is irrelevant for you given your size/experience/goals. If you are a competitive swimmer training hard and want to gain mass you are probably needing at least 4-5k calories a day. Do GOMAD/SS and eat a lot of meat. There is no reason to consider any other program. You need to gain at least 20lbs preferably 40+.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

Yes I definitely need to gain weight!!

Quote:
At 17, your endocrine system is optimal for growing muscle.
How long will my endo system stay at its peak. I had originally considered doing SS when I was 18, but if it is better now then I will most definitely do it right away.

Also is it possible that I could get better results when I could completely focus on it and not have to worry about swimming. Or if not, could I just repeat SS when I am 18 to get even more significant gains.

If I did begin to overtrain, could I just sleep and eat more in order to keep at it.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #18
Adam Acosta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt A Gross View Post
6'1" @ 162lbs is a scarecrow.
At the beginning of my freshman year of high school, I was 6'2" at 125 lbs. Those growth spurts can be brutal for kids with very high metabolism.

To the OP, it's damn near impossible to overtrain a teenager, although you might be wary of repetitive stress injuries if you work the same joints too often with too much of a load. Any high-rep pushing or pulling work combined with swimming can wreck your elbows.

But to the overtraining, when I was in high school, there were summers that I'd spend two to three hours at cross country practice in the morning, come home and take a nap, and then play basketball for another five to eight hours. I probably ate about 7,000 calories a day and still weighed 140 at my peak.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I am convinced, I will do SS!!

As for the elbows, my swim team isn't top of the line (to be nice). I try hard but coaches and students alike seem to lack motivation.

My goal is to weigh at least 185 (standard weight minimum) hopefully 195.

EDIT:

Is doing it for 2 months good?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
Collin Thompson

Profile:

aidan - do it until you stop making linear gains. get the book, the e-wiki does absolutely no justice.

here, ill save you the trip to the site:

Workout A
  • Squat 3sets5reps
  • Bench 3x5
  • Deadlift 1x5

Workout B
  • Squat 3x5
  • Press 3x5
  • Power Clean 3x5 / some like 5x3

3 non-consecutive days a week, drink your milk, get huge.
(still get the book though)