CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Alex McRobie

Profile:
maintaining strength?

how often do we need to do certain lifts to maintain strength?

i understand that the stronger you get the more often you will have to lift, i just dont know what the specifics are...

it would be good if someone could relate it to the intermediate, advanced and elite levels of lifting from the CFSeattle chart.

any thoughts are appreciated, thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: maintaining strength?

Some research shows a 10% loss in Strength every 6 weeks. I would assume that doing each lift once every 6 weeks would significantly limit that loss, and maybe each lift twice every 6 weeks would maintain current levels

I would suppose that the rules would change depending on weather you are
A beginner....still seeing linear gains
An Intermediate.....needing light periodization to see gains
An advanced.....Texas method kinda stuff

Maybe not?

Sean
Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:

Lyle has been saying you can reduce volume and frequency by 2/3 and maintain strength for up to i don't remember how long...1-3 months?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

So instead of 1 x pw you do 3 x pw?

Sean
Old 12-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
John Alston

Profile:

What makes you think there is one answer? It will depend on your training diet genetics etc.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Donald Lee

Profile:

If you currently strength train 5 days, you can reduce it to 2. If you train 3 days, you can reduce it to 1. If you do 5x5, you can reduce it to 2x4. If you do 3x5, you can reduce it to 1x5 or 2x3.

For aerobic endurance, however, you most likely need to train at least 2-3 days per week to maintain, depending on how developed your aerobic capacity is.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McRobie View Post
how often do we need to do certain lifts to maintain strength?

i understand that the stronger you get the more often you will have to lift, i just dont know what the specifics are...

it would be good if someone could relate it to the intermediate, advanced and elite levels of lifting from the CFSeattle chart.

any thoughts are appreciated, thanks
This is anecdotal evidence, but here is my experience:

I am a beginner (i.e. still see linear gains) but I'm right on the cusp of intermediate. By rippetoe's charts my lifts are all in the mid-to-upper intermediate range.

Using CFSB protocols I do my lifts once a week and see linear gains.

If I skip a week (happens more than it should) I usually still make the next lift.

If I skip a month (embarassing, but it does happen) I experience a roughly 5-10% loss on 1 and 5RM's.

Therefore, I would say that as long as you're hitting it hard (3x5 or similar protocol on the major compound lifts) and do each lift at least every 2 weeks, you should maintain strength at least up to the very top of the beginner stage. during the novice and early/mid beginner stage, bi-weekly will probably still get you gains.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
John Alston

Profile:

Either you are asking because you will be forced away from strength training for a while - for which I am sorry - and you'll have to deal with a comeback, or you don't care about getting stronger.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Alex McRobie

Profile:

ok lets say i do 3x3 press once every three weeks (example) but also do some overhead work in WODs, would this be sufficient enough to maintain strength levels if i had an OHP of... 200(im a long way off this but its a goal)?

im not going to reduce volume or any of that i just want to keep my strength and not lose more than around 10lbs for each lift.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
Donald Lee

Profile:

I don't feel like reading what everyone else has said, but let me try to break it down to you a little further.

The longer you have built an adaptation, the longer it will stay. If you've been strength training for years, it'll stay longer. You got it backwards when you said you have to train more frequently the stronger you are.

Generally, maximal strength and aerobic endurance are maintained for up to about 30 days +/- 5 days without much direct work. Maximal strength and aerobic endurance are general adaptations that are pretty persistent. Anaerobic-lactic endurance lasts about 18 days +/- 4 days. Strength endurance lasts about 15 days +/- 5 days. Maximum speed lasts for about 5 days +/- 3 days.