CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Stuart Aitken

Profile:
CrossFit games Marketing Assignment!

Hi Everyone,

I am doing a marketing assignment for University on the CrossFit games, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions regarding the games!

- What kind of spectators are attracted to the CrossFit games? (Is it mostly those who are associated with CrossFit affiliates around the world, or more general spectators?)

- What is the experience like at the CrossFit games?? (Would you definitely go back? anything different about it than any other sporting event?)

- Is the games promoted well? Do you hear about it everywhere? (maybe not enough?)

I apologize as many of these questions are very dry, but this would be a massive help to my assignment as I live in Scotland and have never been to the games before. Thanks in advance everyone.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: CrossFit games Marketing Assignment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Aitken View Post
- What kind of spectators are attracted to the CrossFit games? (Is it mostly those who are associated with CrossFit affiliates around the world, or more general spectators?)
- What is the experience like at the CrossFit games?? (Would you definitely go back? anything different about it than any other sporting event?)
- Is the games promoted well? Do you hear about it everywhere? (maybe not enough?)
I've only attended The Games once - in 2011 - and I was mostly preoccupied, because I was volunteering at the time. However, I did get to spend a few hours in the stands during the final events on Sunday.
I have also volunteered as a judge in the 2009-2012 Sectional and Regional events, so I have a pretty good idea of who is attending those as well.

Spectators:
For the most part, the attendees are people who are active in their affiliates and the competitive CF community, or their family and friends. They are supporting athletes or teams from their gym, or from gyms near them. If you stick around the community long enough, and go to a lot of events, you start to know who the athletes and members of specific teams are - and you get to see who the best of the best are, because they are always on the podium. And it has been my experience that the competitive community is quite accessible and most of the participants are really nice people -- thus they build their own "fan" base. Obviously, if you are also following the Games website and the CF main page, you get to see videos of select athletes, and this gives people world-wide exposure that they wouldn't get at their local competitions... again, building a broader fan base.

Games Experience-
Awesome. I would totally go back. Even though I love volunteering and judging, I would like to attend purely as a spectator at some point.
Is it different than other sporting events - absolutely. It is more like a "Festival of Sport" than going to a game. Plus, due to its length (3 days) it is a much better fan experience than just going to a stadium for one game of football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc.
I'll show my age here, but back in the early 1990s when the first Lollapalooza events were going on, there was a main stage for the big bands, and several smaller stages for smaller up-and-coming bands, and even some performance art venues and lots of vendors selling their wares, etc. That is kind of what the CrossFit Games is like because there are so many things happening at the same time -- Masters events, Team events, Individual events, spectator challenges, vendors, etc.

Promotion of the Games-
This is where I think it may be missing the mark a bit. "We" the CF community know what is happening and when it is going to happen. We have gone through the Open and the Regionals and we are looking forward to the Games. However, for the non-CFer, I am not sure they know what is going on. Is that a problem? I don't know. The Games sold out their tickets extremely quickly in 2012. Thus, perhaps they might not need more promotion.

Liken it to the X-Games. Do you know when and where the next Summer or Winter X-Games will be? You probably only know that answer if you are passionate about the X-Games.

The real proof in the pudding will be if they move to a bigger venue and need to sell more tickets, and get the non-CFers to attend the Games.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 11-15-2012 at 09:47 AM.