CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Joel Bretz

Profile:
Re: NAS Whiting Field, Milton Certification

I'll be there too... been waiting a long time for this one. I tried to get people at CrossFit Emerald Coast to sign up.. but I didn't have too much luck. I think I convinced one other person to come.

And I think I helped convince Peyton too.

I live in Navarre and I'll consider carpooling too!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
Joel Bretz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Rocco View Post
Hi Yvette!
Do you go to the Val-P CF affiliate (Emerald Coast I think it's called). One of my Eglin counterparts goes there, but it's too long of a trek for me, especially when i have to be at work by 0700ish....
Who is your "Eglin counterpart?"
Old 03-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

I'll also be attending the NAS Whiting Field cert. I live in Milton, so no carpool option there, but I do have some info to share! I work with a guy who helped get the cert set up, and he said there are 43 people registered! He also said we will have 6 instructors.

I also understand that around the base there are not a lot of options for quick food during the lunch break, so be sure to pack a cooler!! Apparently our only options will be Subway (eh) or the Whiting Field golf course (which my husband says has a decent grilled chicken salad) unless we can eat at the "mess hall", about which I have no idea.

I thought about contacting one of the local restaurants (that are farther away) about creating some Zone-friendly "box lunch" choices to be delivered to the cert, and I was wondering if this is something y'all would be interested in? And if so, what kind of cost would you expect to pay? Just to get an idea if it would even be worth looking into. I know it's easy enough for me to bring my lunch/snacks, but I don't know how far everybody else is traveling.

I'd appreciate anyone's input! Thanks!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #14
Joel Bretz

Profile:

Kristie
Great idea! My brother in law runs the kitchen at the Texas Roadhouse in Milton- I'll call him this weekend and see what he can do in the $8 to $12 range. He won't know what the Zone is, but we can probably guide him towards something that would be decent. delivery isn't very likely though.

it's definitely worth looking into though. it might also be worth calling Ace's and seeing what they can do. Other than that, I can't really think of what else is in milton.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #15
Carolyn Rocco

Profile:

Hola Joel!!! Glad to hear you will be there as well! and we can get a final list of names and types of vehicles (i have a gorgeous--cough cough--2000 honda civic), so probably no more than 3-4 comfortably.
and that's great you got Peyton to go as well....and he lucked out getting his unit to pay for it. what a dog. (just kidding peyton..)

My "counterpart" is Will Simmons...think he joined in Jan. We talk about CF every time i see him (which is like once every 2 weeks or so).

anyway, are you on Hurbie, Eglin, neither???

Welcome to our crew!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
Carolyn Rocco

Profile:

You beat me to it Joel.
Just want to say i will write more later, but am about to leave work to pick up my car from the shop.....

I was gonna just pack a cooler of goodies, but am always game to enjoy the company of fine folks while eating some gooooood food
More later....

Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #17
Joel Bretz

Profile:

I don't know if I can take credit for getting Peyton to go. I merely sent him a couple of emails of encouragement to get his L1. He was posting his wods on the CFEC blog for a while... but hasn't been recently.

I work on Eglin and have been CrossFitting seriously since summer of 2007. I've been at CFEC since Mike and Kim opened. I usually post my times at thier blog and I spend too much time at the Brand X forum. I'll most like be going the garage gym route starting April 1. (long story here, for another time, perhaps)
Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
Yvette Coddington

Profile:

Joel,

I haven't seen you since the summer - I may have only met you one time at CFEC. It will be good to see you at the cert!

Kristie,

That's so sweet of you to offer figuring out a good lunch plan. I'm game! I'm used to packing lunches though, so it's no big deal for me to bring the cooler.

Carpoolers,

I have a 7 passenger car. I promise to clean out the kid crumbs for you! As the cert gets closer we can try and figure out where we want to meet, etc.

Yvette
Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Yeah, Milton doesn't have much to offer in the way of restaurants, lol... Roadhouse and Ollie's are the standbys when my husband and I go out. Ollie's is not really Zone-friendly (we only go on my Saturday splurge night when I want hot wings, lol). I forgot about Ace's and I can't think of what's on their menu. There's a new place called the Blackwater Bistro, but it would probably be a bit pricey. Now that I think about it, I think my husband went to high school with the restaurant manager at the Roadhouse, so between our 2 connections, that might be the best bet if we were to do anything! I'll talk with my friend who helped set up the cert and see if he has an idea of whether most people are close-by commuters like us, or will be traveling farther and staying in hotels. It might be more trouble than it's worth to set something up, if everyone is nearby and plans to pack a cooler. Thanks for the input y'all!!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #20
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Anybody else out there besides us 5? Just curious about where everyone's coming from; if everyone is local/associated with military...