CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
William Brownley

Profile:
I just got Rippetoes book, and what an eye opener in terms of technique. He recommends three not too long training sessions per week. Is there a good way to combine this with CF? Or, should you not combine them? I am sure this has been asked before, but my search skills are apparently pretty lame. Thanks, Bill
Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Andres Diaz

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...274#POST113274

You are welcome.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
William Brownley

Profile:
Thanks Andres--indeed it is a heck of a thread.
I found no easy answers--particularly for my age and build--50years old, strength at intermediate levels on most of the charts. But--if I study it, all may come clear. Thanks, Bill
Old 02-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Bill, I catching up on you age wise & I also have the book. The way I would approach it assuming you don't have a Crossfit affiliate close by would be to use the book as a aide for the WOD that call for strength movements.
Personally, I'm just doing Crossfit & making sure I don't kill myself with some of the explosive movements.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
My experience is that the two are only partly complementary -- you can sub a SS workout for one of the strength oriented CF workouts (probably better to do 5x5s than 1-1-1-1-1-1 unless you're expert) but you're going to find it tough to get 3 solid, full intensity workouts in and do 3 CF workouts per week (unless you have amazing recovery powers). When you then factor in that most middle aged people have interruptions in their life (business trips, family events, etc.), it makes it even more necessary to prioritize. You're not going to get significantly better at either unless you prioritize it. Rippetoe is saying, "get strong and then get fit." CF would presumably say, "get fit and you'll be strong (enough)". I think it depends on your priorities. If you do the SS program intensively for 6 months, I suspect you would be far stronger than anyone would need to be in normal life.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
William Brownley

Profile:
Thanks for the help guys--you know, this age stuff is for the birds--I usually don't feel any different until it comes to recovery time.

I thought I would substitute a SS workout in the middle of a 3 day spread of CF, so two CF, one SS.
If I am not wrong, that would give me 4 CF workouts and 2 SS workouts in a seven day period.
On the SS days I might do a brief ERG, bike, or running wo to go with the SS, depending on time available. And I would do the CF warmup (feels more like a WO) before all. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks, Bill
Old 02-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Bill,
There's been some discussion about ME (max effort) and CF MetCon workouts. I know Anthony Bainbridge has played with this a lot. You can find his workout log on the boards. That said, I think CF has evolved due to Rip's influence on Coach. We seem to do many more ME workouts than in the past. I think you can probably get away with straight CF - maybe you won't make as significant gains in strength as you would if you mixed in more ME stuff, but I don't know. I only have my own results to go by and I'm quite happy with them strengthwise. My most recent CFT was 960lb. I'm 180lb and 37yo. My total has yet to go down and I know it will be more next time as I recently added 10 more pounds to my max DL (now 420). I do almost nothing but straight WoD's and add in some extra oly lift practice (but not with heavy weights, just technique stuff.)
Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Bill:

I second Dale's suggestion. I'm 47yo, not terribly big (5'8.5"), and I've made pretty significant gains in all measures of strength doing solely the WOD for 14 months. What's your primary goal and why is that your goal? Answer that question first and the exercise plan will fall out quite naturally from that. General fitness, ready for whatever tomorrow throws your way? 3 on 1 off WOD's and you're on your way. Need to move sheet rock or ammo cans and not get out of breath? Check out Anthony's log.

And keep asking questions here. I'm still astounded by the breadth and depth of the talent and knowledge here.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:51 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
RIght now I am taking a three week break from all WODs and started a three week (3X week) O-lift power program. At the end of the three weeks, I'm going back to the WODs. Now, I have been doing CF 3/1 for three years, so three weeks concentrating on O-lifting is not going to mean the end of metcon. I do not think it is a bad idea to build strength for a month or three, prior to jumping into the WODS or you could jump right in and do a three week concentration cycle in 3 or 6 months. Or you could do extra workouts or substitute workouts. No easy answer.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
William Brownley

Profile:
Again, thanks for the help--perhaps I am overly attracted to the strength stuff because I tend to be good at it. At 6'1" 245 I carry plenty of extra weight, but there is also a fair amount of muscle. However, perhaps I need to bear in mind that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. Since I retired from competetive rugby last year, extra weight is no longer rewarded or necessary--thus I found crossfit. Perhaps I will simply replace max effort or clear weightlifrting days with one of Rippetoes two beginner workouts.
Dale--what kind of law do you practice in RI? I used to be a corporate pirate but now do something else and have had the occassional need for a referral in RI. You can see our website at www.BrownleyLaw.com. Also, I have a number of relatives up that way.

Eliot, do you really think I am middle aged? I was hoping to avoid this realization for a good while yet.

Larry--Chicago P.D.? That's a tough one. Keep up the good work. How/why did you find crossfit?
Thanks to all again, Bill