CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Help with potential Credit Fraud

Hey guys,

Recently my parents had some wierd charges on their bill (yes, 23, yes, live with my parents). This all happend after they came back from a trip to Italy, where they used said ccard. The charges didn't add up to much, around $100, one to emusic.com and some others to some grant research thing for websites.

The wierd part is that they had my mothers credit card information, but my name. Even stranger is that supposidly the grant research website sent CD's to what was confirmed as our house address, yet I never received any. Even worse is that they confirmed our IP address.

The times that these were ordered were during the day, all times that I'm home, except for the first charge, which was a thurday night, all were Friday afternoons on successive weeks.

My sister's computer is a complete mess, and probably has all kinds of virus crap on it; our wireless network is password protected, but just the basic WEP. I'm trying to piece things together, but am coming up with very little theory wise.

I can think that maybe someone got credit card information through my sisters computer or IRL, but then how come they used my name?

Also, they would have had to pick up the packages from my house, either knowing what time the mailman came (if they mailed the CD's through the mail), or when UPS or USPS came, and risking having one of my neighbors see it, or me run up on them, since I'm home when mail is delivered.

All of this makes me look pretty horrible, like I'm lying, to my parents, though the fact that the charges aren't that much, and that I wouldn't lie about ordering some grant research crap through the mail helps me out.

Cliffs
-Parents go to Italy
-Come back, CC statement has weird charges totalling around $100
-My moms CC information, but all under my name.
-Supposidly things were shipped to this address, confirmed by CC company, to my name (confirmed), and from our IP address (confirmed)
-Never received said packages, could have been in the regular mail because they are just CD's.
-WEP password protected network only, sisters windows computer is complete **** and probably all virus/trojaned up.

Any ideas on what happened? I'm trying to get some theories together but nothing I'm thinking of really makes much sense.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Emily Maisannes

Profile:
Re: Help with potential Credit Fraud

Report the false charges to the credit card company and cancel the card. Have your parents and you get copies of all three credit bureaus' credit reports. You are allowed to get free copies when you have reason to believe you have had your identity stolen.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Perhaps they got the info (names and cc numbers) from your computers, perhaps they got it by sifting through your trash... you may never know.

No idea if this happened to you - but these types of crimes are becoming increasingly popular, where items are delivered to a legit address and then scooped up before the homeowner gets them. Take for instance, the example of small town Mayor in Maryland where the package was intercepted, then everything went wrong...

sad story but wfs links-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...003299_pf.html

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/08/maryland.mayor/

Gorey details left out - but this is the gist of the scheme-
Quote:
According to The Associated Press, two men, including a FedEx deliveryman, have been arrested in the case.
Police said the scheme involved shipping drugs to unsuspecting people's homes and intercepting the packages. About $3.6 million in marijuana had been seized, police told the AP.
In this instance, investigators told the AP, a package containing 32 pounds of marijuana was sent from Los Angeles, California, to Calvo's house in Berwyn Heights, a town of 3,000 residents 10 miles from Washington.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Thanks for the replies; everythings already been canceled, but the company is fronting on giving us the money back.

My mom did some research into both sites, and supposidly there are numerous complaints about them being affiliated somehow with blockbuster, and other people having the same bogus charges show up on their credit cards.

This, at least, seems to get rid of the "someone showing up to grab the stuff from our mail before we got to it" aspect, which was extremely creepy.

I guess we'll go to the card company with the new information and see if they'll credit us back now that we've established some sort of precident with these kinds of charges.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Derek Franks

Profile:

Change the security on your wireless network to WPA2. If your router can't do that, then get a new one. Download and install a good internet security program on all computers. I like Kaspersky, but Norton is probably a good choice too.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Riley Durant

Profile:

Also go through the credit agencies and place a block on your credit. This prevents anyone from opening any type of credit, from a credit card to applying for a loan, in your name without the credit agency directly speaking to you first. It can be a pain in the butt sometimes, but if you are really worried about someone using your stuff, this will stop it.

We had to do this several years ago as several government laptops were stolen and some of my family's information was on it. I'm sure it has been much more of a help than a hinderance.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Steven,
Do not take comfort in having your wireless protected by a WEP password. Its very easy to sit outside your house with an iphone, scan for networks, hack them, and then do all sorts of stuff. This is not a conspiracy theory.
Depending on how strong your WEP password is, it could be very easy to hack.
Do a google search on 'hacking WEP passwords', and you'll get tons of results. even video's on how to do it.
Here's one link as an example.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=41 (w/f/s)
Like Sean said, intercepting mail is not uncommon. Prior to the advent of computers going mainstream, it was a common practice for criminals to peruse people's mailboxes and take their credit card applications, fill them out, send them off, and then check back for the actual card. People are generally ignorant of their surroundings, so its really not hard to go unnoticed when you are checking mailboxes that don't belong to you. Especially these days.
Now with identity theft on the rise, and it becoming increasingly profitable, you don't have to be a computer whiz to do it. Like I said, an iphone, sitting in a car, watching how people come and go is pretty easy these days.
Now if you want to track it, you could potentially go to the main page of your router, and check the log files. That is, if they are activated. There are also log files on your computers, to see if any remote login has occurred. That could be a start for you to see if anything took place through your network