CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
Joad Donnelly

Profile:
Question for Runners

I'd be interested in hearing from some CrossFit people on 5K running. A couple of years ago my employer started having an annual 5K race & I got back into running for the first time since high school (I'm 37). I put a decent amount of effort into training & ran a 18:23. I enjoyed it & decided this last year to attempt my first marathon. The second year of the 5K I ran a 18:16 and a couple weeks later (October of last year) completed the marathon in 3 hrs 38 min. I have had surgery on my right knee & it was getting pretty irritated with all the running. I decided to give my knee a break and I have done very little running since. Even though I enjoyed the running challange, I felt like I had met my goal of completing a marathon and was ready to do some overall fitness work. That's when I found CrossFit & have been enjoying it greatly.

So here's my question. The 5K is coming up again this fall and I am wondering if people here think it would be possible for me to get into the 17 min. zone while sticking to CrossFit with maybe a little extra running work thrown in. Time is the main reason I don't feel like I can continue with CrossFit AND follow any of the traditional 5K training schedules that I've seen. I just don't have the extra time to do both and I don't want to stop the CrossFit work. I ran the WOD 5K a few weeks ago in just under 20 minutes so that was encouraging. So any ideas/training plans (with this type of goal) people have followed would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Joad
Old 07-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Aaron Peterson

Profile:
Re: Question for Runners

I have trained for a Marathon and 5k while trying to stick to Crossfit and some things i have found are:

1. My body cant handle all the load, so I did about 3 crossfit workouts a week and normally would omit the big leg days(5x5 squats, big thruster days....)

2. For the Marathon I concentrated in getting in the long days and for the 5k I made sure to get speed days in.

3. I tried to sleep more...I seemed to be tired alot. If I felt sluggish I would not force it and took a day off. When I did force it I would get a cold or sore throat.

4. My body constantly craved sweets and junk carbs...I dont know how to address that so I had rich chocolaty ovaltine at night to try to curb it.

Iam trying to get my 1 1/2 mile time down now and doing track work twice a week and Iam struggling with all the above. I believe some people can handle larger training loads than others and unfortunatly I cant handle alot. I think that is one thing that seperates elite atheletes from the pack. Iam going to do the Pittsburgh marathon in the fall and try to improve on my 3:33:33 time(i only did one).

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Eric Machus

Profile:

Since you haven't mentioned CF Endurance, CFE, and neither did the first responder, I will ;>

17 minutes seems pretty fast to me (I do them, or have recently, in ~20 minutes, to weak to push hard enough, just like in the WOD's ;<) and would require some 5K specific training.

The Crossfit Endurance site is focused on people doing endurance activities, duh, such as Tri's, ultra type things and everything in between. The focus is on lower mileage/time spent but greater than typical intensity (increased interval, pace, tempo). Basically cutting out LSD with the longest distances being 13.1 mile time trials for ultra folks I believe. However, it is designed to be used with CF and the guy running the site as had success with the program so check it out.

I think with your background 17 minutes is very doable. I think blowing off the LSD/garbage miles with quality work will do the trick. Of course staying motivated and not burning out is the trick.

I think OPT ran an ~18 minute 5k last year while winning CF games with what seems like a pretty stupendous CFT so it is certainly doable.

Keep us updated on your training, progress and results.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
Joad Donnelly

Profile:

Thank you for the replies & info. I didn't know about the CrossFit endurance site so thank you for that too. I have looked it over just a little bit but I haven't seen any specific 5K/CrossFit training info. Do you know if it is anywhere on there?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:10 AM   #5
Alex Bond

Profile:

I think the CFE WODs will be 5k specific enough for your needs. It's scaled for the distance you're interested in, so if you do the 5k oriented workouts, you should be good to go.

Even if you don't want to do CFE, you could just try the 3-1 CF schedule with CF-CF-5k-rest or 5k-CF-CF-rest or whatever combination you enjoy. Be creative, and don't force yourself into a mold. If you want to run, run. If you want to do CF, do CF. Just don't do it all more than 5-maybe 6 days a week, and you will figure it out.

Beware - 17 minutes is a very fast 5k, and it will be tough to make, but it sounds like you have what it takes.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Andrew Ager

Profile:

For a 5K, follow the "SC" (short course) CFE running workouts. I intend to follow the CFE plan come fall, after I finish up a long stretch of Starting Strength workouts and a ton of Pose-style drills and short runs.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ager View Post
For a 5K, follow the "SC" (short course) CFE running workouts. I intend to follow the CFE plan come fall, after I finish up a long stretch of Starting Strength workouts and a ton of Pose-style drills and short runs.
Yeah follow SC on CFE. I follow U (Ultra) but my Mile, 1.5 Mile, 5K, and 10K times are all dropping.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Alex Hain

Profile:

This is a very helpful post as I hadn't heard of CFE either, though I'm fairly new to CF so it's understandable. I'm currently trying to rebuild my overall fitness from bodybuilding before transitioning back towards triathlon training for the big South Africa 70.3. I've always had very good results mixing tri training with a bodybuilding type workout and am still figuring out how to do it with CF since it is so leg intensive.