CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
David Stegman

Profile:
Ok..I've been on the Zone about 6 months and doing the crossfit workouts that I can do at home with limited equipment but I make do.

I'm 6'4" and right now I weigh 167lbs. My bodyfat has got to be under 10%. I look pretty ripped and lean and I feel strong. However, I feel like being my weight I should be closer to the 180lbs range.

I also do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've been training for close to 9 years and I try to get on the mat 4 times a week. Crossfit on the opposite days with a day of rest in between. I just wonder if I should be doing more as far as lifting goes to put on some muscle at this point...or.....is it just fine to be under 170 at my height?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
I am 6'2 and 175...I think I am to thin sometimes. But then we *are* ectomorphs. If I were to want to increase, I would do it with protein and activity versus +X Fat blocks. If you feel healthy, its probably your own personal preference to make a move, as opposed to a Weight vs. Height vs. Age for a typical male chart, or what have you.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
David Stegman

Profile:
Good point Paul. I feel strong and I look better than ever. I feel fast and agile on the mat and I stun people when they find out how much I weigh.

One guy said he though I was at least 190lbs...but it just seems so weird to me to only weigh 167.

I may try to increase my protein and more Crossfit. At this point I'm not sure though.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
bill fox

Profile:

That's really light. I would imagine you're getting alot of "cardio" from the BJJ. Despite that you should be able to carry more weight then that. I'd look at Coach Rut's ME black box. Also, given the amount of rolling you're doing, I would always "scale" the CF workouts toward heavier with maybe less reps or rounds.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
David Stegman

Profile:
Yeah...I might want to increase the weight of my WOD and lower the reps.

Right now I do 200 push ups/ 100 or so sit ups a day. I try to get in 40-60 pull ups and then I normally do one of the WOD that I can at home. Usually it would be dumbell thrusters, or anything that involves dumbells for that matter. Along with my BJJ training. So I think I may be doing too much bodyweight stuff. I think it's ok since I lost a lot of BF but I think I might be better off putting some muscle on.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I am in the same boat, a lifelong hard gainer wondering if I can be any heavier. I am 5'9" and 150, can't gain a single pound on the Zone. I just went on vacation and ate like a pig - I gained 7 pounds in 9 days! Now it is coming back off, 1 pound per day or so, even though I am trying to stop it by eating more fat. It doesn't help that I have a very high metabolism rate.

I keep thinking that there is some formula I can follow that will increase BW, but I won't drink a gallon of milk a day or eat like I'm on vacation all the time.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:
You just have to eat more. I am 5'8 at 133 lbs... used to be 107 so I have gained weight. :-) If you really want to put on mass start doing more exercises in the hypertrophy range even if they are bodyweight exercise (e.g. decreased leverage exercises). They will at least put functional muscle on you.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
David Stegman

Profile:
I can handle eating more that won't be a problem. When you say "decreased leverage" or hypertropy range what would be a good example?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Decreased leverage refers to a comparison of bodyweight exercises, such as a pushup would be decreased leverage in comparison to a planche.

Hypertrophy range is the rep-range between 8-12 total reps which increases time-under-tension and thus overall hypertrophy.

I think that covers it.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #10
Mike Minium

Profile:
I thought it was the other way around, actually.

I thought you have decreased leverage with a planche compared to a push-up.

If we were to look at a scale of exercises from most leverage to least (for the push-up family of exercises), I thought it would go like this:

knee push-ups -> push-ups -> planche

Similarly, you have more leverage on a support on rings than you do on an iron cross.

Hold a 45-lb dumbbell away from your body with a straight arm parallel to the ground. Do the same with a 45-lb barbell (holding the barbell lengthwise; i.e., end-to-end). Which is more difficult to hold?

Increasing a lever's length increases the difficulty of an exercise. At least that's my understanding (erroneous as it may be).

Mike