CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Blair's I should have a log since I don't like logs log.

Did DrillsandSkills HSPU/PB PU between 12 and 14 minutes. Started at 9:23 and noticed I forgot to look at clock after I had done yoga plow, shoulders and middle splits.

No sprinting today. Went out to track and started sprint drills after WU. Left foot, especially soleus did not like hopping on one foot. Some discomfort in the other sprint drills that alternate foot to foot ( buttkickers, high knees, skipping ).

Opted to just run 3 sets of 200, break, 400 watching left calf. Midway between 2nd 400, started actually running hard vs just running. During last 400 started actually running it like a mile or 2mi pace, sprinting at the end on ball regardless of calf.

Came home, did some shoulder dislocates and stretched back and got right into DrillsandSkills WOD.

Now, it's time for a shower and food and look at new posts on the board and at gymnasticsbodies and perhaps look up men's olympic hopeful footage for US MAG. Hopefully will not be gimping around this week and I can hide a gimp in one foot with some discomfort compared to 2. Perhaps see how far and fast I can run mid week.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
George Evans

Profile:

Bummer about the foot man, but I'm glad to see you running. How is fit would you say you are regarding mid distance running...like 1.5-3 miles and the like?

Also...I'm having trouble with the muscle up, i'm pretty strong compared to my bodyweight so do you think its just technique?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Hey George. Considering your brute strength, ( unsure of dips but those are fine, right? ) this is either the technique of the transition or getting that false grip down and being able to pull efficiently with it. Work an unassisted muscle-up if you can with bands or a block or a spot.

My foot is feeling pretty good today, but I skipped running tonight. I'll try to go for a run tomorrow after waking up and see how far I'll get. I haven't done a distance run in sometime in shoes ( however I have run up to a mile in sandals [ trying to get to work on time after I got a punctured tube on the bike ).

Foot was a bit achy on those 400's but I could done a 800 if I wanted to and I thought about running around the school. More than 2 laps gets increasingly mind numbing on a track. I could probably google a neighborhood distance maybe too.

So tonight I ended up doing my own thing which was a focus on static strength. Warmup, and 3 rounds of statics with a bunch of gymnastics positions and an one legged squat with the free leg on the knee/quad of the base leg. Looks very yoga-ish. Aum. Originally I was going to do a cat or crane stance and I ended up with that.

On to some rings works for awhile starting with swinging supports and skin the cat from L to a tucked german hang. Tried some supported Iron Cross pullouts for fun and it was 45 degrees maybe. Ended with some levers 2x2 BL/FL with a few minutes of rest in between. Ehh. Back lever is gonna be a month or two. Also did some Sommer's modified cranks ( L to tuck lever, open to inverted hang and back ).

Feeling that wasn't all I could do so I did one set of glute ham situps, back extensions, and reverse leg lifts/hug a twinkies for 10 reps each.

10 2x25 DB shoulder presses, push presses, and jerks followed by 25 SDHP ( I could really get to like these, fun ) and 15 on each of hand of 1 arm DB swing between legs catch in the air with other hand.

Played with pushups in low reps like fingertips, thumb, one hand, triangle, 2-4 finger with thumb, 1 or 2 knuckle, 1 finger or 4 finger...crap like that. Mainly for wrists.

Did play before rings with tuck planche. I prefer these with my DB than my door pullup bar as parallettes for some reason. Probably because of less height to crash down. Dammit, I forgot L and straddle Lsits during statics.

Earlier on was a mighty 30 second flex arm hang. 30 points on the women's PFT...hahahah. Too bad it's 70 for a max score. Something to play with. Eventually gotta hit 20 PU and a 70s flex arm for ****s and giggles. Good forearm work.

For the first time, played with BW+25lb DB on dips. Did 5. I think I could do more but this was towards the end of the workout and was more play and discovery. Did 3 PU with the 25lb DB and that was about it. I've done PU with various size kids hanging on, but never with weight besides a negative spot. Will either need heavier DB or some sort of weight belt or vest.

Tried doing pistol with the 2 25s on my shoulders but just felt confused in the movement and ended up being a negative. Using my bowling bowl, it figured itself out. However, I think I'll stick to plyometric type pistols vs weighted. Just weird.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe : 06-18-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Today and tonight's workout.

3 and a half bucks till tomorrow so bought a half gallon of choco milk. Wow, this stuff is surprisingly " thin. " Next time, I'm gonna switch to whole or 2% ( probably whole ) and just mix in chocolate if I care to. Haven't really been much of a milk drinker since last year sometime when I was drinking raw milk before bedtime. Occasionally, I have grabbed some but perhaps it's been awhile because the 1% really seemed light.

In lieu of not knowing what to do tonight, I'm gonna go run after the warmup, come back and hit the rings for ring dips, L pullups, and maybe some more modified cranks and and back levers.

Was reading Danny's CrossFit Sonoma's blog and they are doing the " Bear " today. Can't up the weight so I'll do 5 rounds for time and finish off with DrillsandSkills tabata squats and v-ups. This should be fun because last time I did this with air squats and modified pullups at 45 degrees. I think I will rest the 10 seconds below parallel or do it with 50 pounds. We'll see after the Bear.

Groin area is a bit tight from splits, but the run should loosen that up.

Cindy or Mary sound real fun tonight, but maybe I'll save that for tomorrow. I can probably bang out Cindy well or struggle through Mary, modifiying the HSPU and PU. Latter sounds vastly more interesting than just pushups and air squats. Hmm, maybe Cindy tomorrow and Mary on friday night.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe : 06-18-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:21 AM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

So I screwed up the bear by only do 5 sets, not even a complete round. Did that in about 2 and a half minutes, so a full round would be 3 something. Weight was 2x25 DB so it's light and cleans are weird with BS having the DB on the shoulders while holding it. Will have to try again and be fun.

Can't figure out the exact mileage but neighborhood run was around 1.5 miles, possibly a bit more but not enough to matter. Roughly around 12 minutes based on the time of the oven clock, out the door and locking it till unlocking the door and looking it. This means, I can probably run a 7m+ mile if I pushed myself perhaps getting into 6:45 territory. I might try this on that HS track as it will be easier to pace and I can watch my pace with a clock. Much better than I thought and still had plenty of gas to step it up a notch and for the rest of the workout. This is good considering that I consider myself having extra pounds on my frame.

Left calf still was aggravated by pressure when stepping on it during the run. We'll see about sprinting Sunday. Feels fine now.

30s straddle L sit. 40s L sit on rings and HS on wall. Bah, get over a minute already.

Did 3 sets of L pullups and ring dips. 5 L-PU, 9.5 ( meaning I failed on the positive past the bottom ) RD. 4-5.5 next round, finishing with 3 and 5ish ( went wide on the last one ). I think I'm gonna continue this. That was after working my modified crank ( L to tuck lever, open to candle ) to back lever. Did this 3 time and was losing grip. Did one more back lever from candle for about 5-7 seconds with elbow crease down. Tried another from basket but failed.

So that means I got my back lever back a lot sooner than I thought since yesterday I thought it would be around July. I still prefer back lever from candle instead of basket.

Did 3 ice cream makers that were really crappy and 2 skin the cats to finish up.

Tried the " Bear " and messed up. DrillsandSkillsWOD was Air Squats and V-ups. Apparently only 4 rounds but I did 8. Decided to hold below parallel at the bottom and V-ups bothered tailbone which is still a bit sore. Next time maybe, leg lifts facing a clock.

Air Squats with 10s hold at bottom 17-15-14-14-14-13-13-13
V-ups, no hold for rest station so I could score, but rest was nice for squatting.
12-10-10-10-10-9-8-8 Bleh. Tired and slow.

I'll try this next time with 50 pounds to the squat and rest for 10 between. Maybe with leg lifts instead of V-ups...shouldn't be much different, possibly more difficult in later rounds.

Man, I still want to do more and some of those CF Games competitors are doing 4 WOD. Makes me think I can definitely do 2.

I think I'll keep the running seperate from typical workouts. Just eats precious time. My warmup really made the run easy, however.

Another thing, I can easily do yoga plow now. Whether this is due to an increase in flexibility, less fat, I dunno but I'm more lower in this stretch than ever before. Part of this, I think is due to warmup stick drills which I never did before. Pike is pretty far down as well, hip flexors still suck.

So maybe I can get to CrossFit Sacramento to do the CFT after the gig if I hustle and find some time to eat. Be interesting to see what I score.

I wonder if I'm gonna be sore from the running and tabata squats. Squats definitely was getting sore maybe from the run or that attempted Bear set ( probably woulda been really bad if I actually did it correctly ).

Would be fun to test Cindy or Mary soon. I'd like to do the HSPU modified instead of pushups and pistols instead of squats or vice versa. Ehh. Be interesting to see what I score. I'm hoping at least a dozen rounds of Cindy up to 20.

CFT priority, maybe Cindy as metcon. Tomorrow is Gymnastics Fran ( PU, V-ups, HSPU ) Mary would be slow because of the modifications so I might as well do it another time as that will be slow because of lack of strength in PU and HSPU.

Gotta try Danny's 10 thrusters@65 pounds and 10PU per 20m. Looked disgusting.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Ugh, bloody tabata squats. Inner legs feeling good sore. May not have enough time to make CF Sacramento today but could tomorrow. A day off may be good. We'll see how this evening plays out.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #17
George Evans

Profile:

hey man good going with the run...that's about the only thing I can comment on, because that's all I know. WOW do some of these exercises have funny names, 'skin the cat' lol.

ever thought about doing starting strength to increase your overall base power?

oh yeah about the muscle ups...i can do around 10-15 ring dips, so it may be a strength issue? I can do about 40-50 regular dips in a row, so I dunno?

Keep on keepin on

george
Old 06-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #18
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I've been reading a lot on starting strength lately, so I've been thinking on it. Right now it's monetary/time access to free heavy weights. My firefighter friend just bought SS and Practical programming and has a nice squat cage with plenty of weight. ONe thing is I am will egotistically state that I am no newbie to the lifts at all. I never did DL till last year really, but I had been doing jump shrugs and high pulls fast and heavy for a long time.

However, hooking up with him has never got on as he lives about 15-20 miles across town and mainly his school/volunteer firefighter/work gig. He told me as of July 1st he'll know his new schedule and so I'm hoping we are gonna hook up as well as bring one of our friends into working out by going to his house before he goes to work and dragging him along with whatever we can do with whatever equipment we can bring.

Last fall, my gymnastics gym had at least 150 pounds of weights so I was working on shoulder press and Oly lifts quite a bit ( the girls loved the weights flying [ in fact the first push press in a long time when flying up and behind me ). I stopped working with the weights since my hours were cut to shreds in January and I left in March.

Since then, a lack of access to weights and the funds to do drop ins at the local CF affiliate has compromised things. Things are picking up so I will try to get up there once a week to lift or if I can lift with my friend ( originally last year I intended to do once a week of Oly lifting and one day towards powerlifting/supplemental lifting ).

I started out lifting back during my senior year and kept up till a few years in college until I gave up my World's gym pass after getting into gymnastics and giving up the weights ( which from then on, I either plateau'd or went downhill in leg and wrist strength ).

I thinking adding the 1-2 days, besides getting more food will skyrocket my numbers besides getting neurologically efficient by just doing it more. I had hoped to shoot for a 1k CFT last fall but I'm guessing I could eek into low 700s ( 250/275-125/150-275/300 ). Gotta get used to standing with 300 pounds of weight on your back/shoulders. DL either goes or stays, but have to get used to resisting 2x BW trying to squish you.

There is some weird names with skin the cats, cranks, ice-cream makers and what not.

Missed the CFT today and will not be able to make it up tomorrow because I went a bit overzealous on food spending for the rest of the month.

Based on a 3-1, 2-1, I should be taking today off but I'm still itching to do something.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe : 06-20-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:16 AM   #19
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Ugh, today. Was in the mood for a short workout, so I just warmed up and preceded to:

20 minutes of

10 thrusters at 65 pounds [ subbed 2 x 25 DB ]

10 pullups [ tried kipping and it was just killing me to do the 1st round besides the tower moving around and grip sucking [ really need to get some athletic tape ], switched to modified pullups, feet on block ]

10 rounds completed.

thrusters were easy-peezy, though lighter than rx'd. pullups were not, couldn't kip due to tower and no way I was gonna do dead hangs without screwing it all up and getting really slow.

I doubt 65 pound barbell thrusters would have been much tougher since it was the pullups things slowed down. On round 4, started maxing at 5 only in 2 sets to finish. By round 8, it became 4 and then 3-2 with the last round being 3-2-2-2-1.

I had thought about working levers and handstands after but screw it, I'm done for tonight. Tomorrow I'll continue working on pullup strength, perhaps doing it every day of the 3-1-2-1 and GTG on off days.

Maybe it's just because I took yesterday off. Thorasic and shoulder area was a bit tighter than it has been feeling lately either due to weird sleep or blah-ness.

This keyboard really sucks, can't even use the number keys above the alphabetical...blah.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 AM   #20
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Tuesday's workout.

W/U, right ankle twingy for some reason. Skipped runny though air quality is bar around here anyways.

Did a few handstands and played with alternating L pullups and weighted pullups as well as ring dips and weighted dips. 3 rounds of each, unweighted on rings and weighted on stationary. Used a 25 pound DB.

It had been 2 days off since Saturday's training and bike riding. I was going to do a workout as well but ended up not getting home till really late due to hanging out with friends. Took Sunday off as I was still tired and still lagging Monday. Can't do that again, because I started really feeling crappy from the inactivity.

Played with a few rounds of depths jumps, block jumps and pistols.

Ended up making a workout consisting of:

- Push Jerks 2x25lb DB
- Hug a twinkie ( reverse leg lifts, these were quite uncomfortable on my what I was doing them on, more so in the chest from holding on with arms outstretched )
- Handstand shrugs ( haven't done them in awhile, big whoop )
- Roman chair situps
- SDHP 2x25lb DB
- Back extensions
- standing DB arm swings ( about 10 each set )
- hollow roll through arch ( 3 hollow rocks in hollowx3 ) [ around 20 ]
- Straight arm lift 25lb DB and straight arm pulls with resistance (?lb) [ about 10 ]
- 1 arm 25lb DB snatch
- ring support leg lifts

15-10-5 of most of everything. Wasn't really done for intensity as I was just feeling out of it due to the 2 days off ( thought 21-15-9 would be too much ). Bleh. Still sweated crazy. Took 2-4 minutes between strength pullups and dips. More of a fun get back into it day.