CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #71
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: more Louie Simmons: Olympic lifts not good for sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blum View Post
this thread is kind of chock full of armchair quarterbacks second guessing one of the best strength training minds of our era, calling him a liar, ignorant, et cetera . . . kind of blows my mind
Most people aren't second guessing him - they are doing the wrong thing in implying that CrossFit and sport are the same thing. They aren't imho.

You can CrossFit all your life and suck at most sports due to a myriad of reasons, but my guess is you will pick them up a lot faster than people who don't do CrossFit. If you don't play sports, you will be one of the few (ever-growing few) very functional people in society which is worth more than any sport will get you. I've known plenty of professional athletes, and to see their bodies destroyed by "sport" is sad. Screw that. One of my high-school teachers played for the Lakers (drafted 7th round 1964), and his knees were destroyed by the time he left. One of the loudest proponents of not being a professional basketball player I ever met.

Howard - all functional weightlifting. It means moving an object through space.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #72
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
yep, I just do not see how full Olympic lifts are not good for me
I'm pretty sure he never said they weren't good for you. He said they're not as applicable to sports training (addressing a bunch of throwing coaches) as the hang version.

I wish people would stop saying that he said full olympic lifts are bad and don't work. He NEVER said that. All he said was that a different version was more applicable in some circumstances.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #73
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

He also spoke well of the push jerk, saying that push jerk numbers and throwing performance correlate strongly. Louie's a treasure-trove of information, and knows better than anybody how to make stronger lifters. On the other hand, he has only applied himself to powerlifting, so if he says xyz doesn't work for wrestling, soldiering, sprinting, swimming, I'll take the advice with the proverbial grain of salt.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 AM   #74
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I'm pretty sure he never said they weren't good for you. He said they're not as applicable to sports training (addressing a bunch of throwing coaches) as the hang version...
I listened to the lecture one more time. Louie said: Full Olympic lifts are not good for sport... pretty clear.
but please do not take my sarcasm seriously (apologies if you did!). I know what he meant...
Andrew, excessive explosiveness in swimming would only hurt your performance...
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19

Last edited by Alexander Kornishev : 04-07-2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #75
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
I listened to the lecture one more time. Louie said: Full Olympic lifts are not good for sport... pretty clear.
but please do not take my sarcasm seriously (apologies if you did!). I know what he meant...
Andrew, excessive explosiveness in swimming would only hurt your performance...
And if Olympic lifting is a sport (and it is specialized movement), than his statement is wrong.

If its football he's right. This debate could go on forever lol.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #76
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blum View Post
this thread is kind of chock full of armchair quarterbacks second guessing one of the best strength training minds of our era, calling him a liar, ignorant, et cetera . . . kind of blows my mind
Happens every week here.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #77
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
And if Olympic lifting is a sport (and it is specialized movement), than his statement is wrong.

If its football he's right. This debate could go on forever lol.
He was talking to a bunch of throwing coaches. The guy is not an English professor or professional orator, he is one of the most brilliant minds in terms of strength. Don't get hung up on a semantics argument when his intent should be pretty obvious.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #78
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Staples View Post
Um, I think that's actually his point. He's not trying to produce Olympic lifters -- he's training athletes for specific sports. There's a difference between the two, and he's just pointing out one of the differences.
He's also claimed one more than one occaison, if he were the USAW coach, we would be winning Gold Medals at the Olympics, despite having never actually trained a WL at any competition. That would be like Dragomir saying he'd produce World Champion IPF lifters.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #79
Joey Powell

Profile:

I would bet that Louie would claim that Dragomir, could indeed produce world-champion IPF lifters.

I would also bet that each of those men have the analytic mind, keen eye, and other talents to produce World class athletes in any strength endeavor.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #80
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Powell View Post
I would bet that Louie would claim that Dragomir, could indeed produce world-champion IPF lifters.

I would also bet that each of those men have the analytic mind, keen eye, and other talents to produce World class athletes in any strength endeavor.
Damn right. Do I think Louie Simmons could produce a world champion Olympic lifter? You bet your *** I do.

The CF community (along with many others) gets its feathers ruffled if it gets poked in the eye. Instead of saying, "hey, he's making fun of my Olympic lifting, this guy doesn't know anything," ask yourself what you might be able to learn from him. How are we bashing sport-specific training, powerlifting, and the greedy Louie Simmons all in one thread?

Louie Simmons flat out knows his ****. He has studied the techniques of the top lifters around the world and has put much thought into his own program. And he has results. Yes, he has coached Olympic lifters at Westside (not on their technique, but on strengthening the muscles that perform the technique--what a remarkable concept!), and they got stronger. Anybody interested in getting stronger should listen to what Louie says. Rip and Pendlay have both integrated some of his principles into their own programs, including the OLY lifts.

Westside guys are strong. Chemicals and lifting suits aside, do you really think a 900 pound deadlifter/1000 pound squatter--who trains using explosive techniques--couldn't learn to turn a bar over on a clean? Get real.

Those of you who think he's doing this for money can go here. wfs. It's a collection of Westside articles provided to the public for free. He has a dozen interviews out there on the web, as long as a Q&A page on ************.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 04-07-2008 at 12:49 PM.