CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Steven Quadros

Profile:
When to stop Starting Strength cycle?

Hey all; I just hit my first roadblock on SS, making my reps at 170 but with bad form on the squat. For someone who is 6 foot and 180 lbs, that is pretty low; I'm not looking for sympathy nor feeling down. If anything, that number is great motivation.

I plan on attempting that weight again to see if my form is better after a few good days of rest; if it is, I'll microload from there and try to stretch out my linear progression. If the form is still really bad, however, I'll reset down to 135 and work on some form issues, especially the bounce at the bottom.

I want to stay on SS for a bit longer, as my strength levels are not good, and most of my other lifts have room for improvement. Bench is at 125 and feels easy, OHP is at 80 and feels difficult, deadlift is at 195 and was hard, and power cleans I stopped and reset to the bar to work on form.

I took a look at the Crossfit Total chart and figured that for my weight, to be a novice, I'd need approximately a 275 lb deadlift, 225 lb squat, and 135 lb OHP. Those numbers are definitely within reach, though at least a month or two away, and the OHP getting up that high would take a lot of work.

I figure once I work up to doing my work sets at or near those numbers (which would be 5 reps for 3 sets of those numbers, 275 DL, 225 BS, 135 OHP) I could stop SS and start doing the WODs. I'll admit most of this post was for my own benefit, as writing things out tends to help me think, though I'd love to hear if anyone thinks this is a good idea, a horrible one, or simply wishes to tell me not to think out loud anymore.

Sigh- Sorry mods, wrong forum
Old 03-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Jake Di Vita

Profile:
Re: When to stop Starting Strength cycle?

Are you drinking a gallon of milk a day?

I'm doing basically the same thing, although I didn't have specific goals when I started I decided I was going to do it until the end of April and go from there (3 months).
Old 03-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Re: When to stop Starting Strength cycle?

I am drinking near a gallon of milk a day; much more and my flatulance becomes socially unacceptable. I went from horribly weak with no leg muscle (almost literally) at 155 lbs to still weak with a nice amount of body fat (I'd guesstimate 15-20 percent) and 180 lbs. It wasn't just bodyfat, as I put on a good amount of muscle, much of it in my lower body. As someone who was non-athletic throughout most of their life with crazy chicken legs, the difference is quite amazing.

I'm also squatting, as sad as it sounds, much more than I've done with good form. When I was doing Body builder routines I got 225 by 10 reps, but at questionable depth. 170 lbs with good depth and passable form is a good improvement, especially since the 225 lbs was 4 years ago at a much leaner 175 lbs.

I've definitely progressed quite a bit, though not anywhere near as much as the prototypical Rip program-ee. I will definitely allow myself to reset a few times, at minimum 1 per exercise, though for the squat anywhere from 2-3.