CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
Sean Gillespie

Profile:
Making salads in the zone : sub dividing blocks

So i'm close to two weeks in the zone and really enjoying it for the most part but I'm still finding my way around a few things, particularly the carb blocks.

I like eating a lot of raw vegetables but some of the block perscriptions mean you end up with this out of control 4 block monster salad.

Then it occured to me : why not just divide the blocks up and get smaller block combined salads such as:
  • 2 cups of spinach (.5 block)
    3 cups of romaine lettuce (.5 block)
    half a cup of tomato (.5 block)
    1/3 a cup of onion (.5 block)

Means you get a 2 block salad that doesn't require hydraulic jaws of steel to get through.

Is it allowable to divide up blocks in this way? It makes a hell of a lot more sense to me and makes it far easier to stick to.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Jay Roughton

Profile:
Re: Making salads in the zone : sub dividing blocks

Just in case you were misinformed, your measurements on tomatoes & onions are incorrect. If you are eating in the ball park then I apologize for being so nosey, but if you are trying to be strict, onion is 1/4 cup per block, and tomatoe is 3/4 cup per block. Who knows, look into it a little deeper, maybe you have other food items that you are just a little off on the quantities or lack there of. Your WODS could get better! Happy Crossfitting!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Sean Gillespie

Profile:

Hi Jay,
I guess that depends on your source really. For example, those measurements are taken from issue 21 of the crossfit journal. I've just cross referenced those measurements with the "Enter the Zone" appendix C list of food and it makes a different claim : tomato 1 cup, onion, chopped 1 cup!

And cross referencing those with the "What to eat in the Zone" book I get another set of answers! This claims that raw chopped tomato is 1.5 cups and raw onion is 1 cup!

And in appendix B of "Zone meals in seconds" it states that raw onion is 1.5 cups and chopped tomato is 1.5!

So I've got 4 different sources (5 including yourself!), 3 of which are written by the same source, all saying different things. Which text is gospel?
Old 02-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Sakura Barrientos

Profile:

dude, sean. i was wondering the same thing. there are different measurements in different sources. hm. try asking a zone expert like shari keener from CF NSC. she helps me a lot with my zone questions.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Gillespie View Post
Hi Jay,
I guess that depends on your source really. For example, those measurements are taken from issue 21 of the crossfit journal. I've just cross referenced those measurements with the "Enter the Zone" appendix C list of food and it makes a different claim : tomato 1 cup, onion, chopped 1 cup!

And cross referencing those with the "What to eat in the Zone" book I get another set of answers! This claims that raw chopped tomato is 1.5 cups and raw onion is 1 cup!

And in appendix B of "Zone meals in seconds" it states that raw onion is 1.5 cups and chopped tomato is 1.5!

So I've got 4 different sources (5 including yourself!), 3 of which are written by the same source, all saying different things. Which text is gospel?
yah me too! especially with cooked broccoli. in CFJ 21, 1.25 c of cooked broccoli is 1 block, but in the zone books/charts on the website, 3 cups is 1 block. that's a HUGE difference! i normally follow what the CFJ says, but I have no idea what's "gospel" although I'd like to know for sure!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

I can't help you as to which source you should believe, but I can help with your original question. You can divide blocks up in any way you want, its just for convenience, or laziness, that most do not.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

If you're super intense about the zone, then you can always nutritiondata.com, caloriecount.com (recipe analysis), or fitday.com the food in question. 9g of carbs per block, making sure to subtract out the fiber.

Fitday can account for chopped, diced, minced, whole, raw, cooked, whatever. Pretty cool.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Sean Gillespie

Profile:

Cheers for the info Shane, appreciated

In terms of which block chart to use, it stands to reason that the most recently released edition should be the one to follow. If such is the case then the one available here (wfs) from Dr Sears' website should be the latest release. It would be nice to have some kind of acknowledgement and justification of the revisions though.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Do we know what most people use in terms of block charts? If most people use the new one, I think it should some how be updated on the CF site, or something. Not that you can update the CFJ 21 is it's a magazine issue, but I really wish I knew which one to use, because most people at my gym use the CFJ 21 block charts, which are different.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
Sean Gillespie

Profile:

Seems Dr Sears has offered an explanation for the block guide revision :

"in this revised Food Block Guide, we have subtracted all dietary fiber from the total carbohydrate content of each carbohydrate block, which will increase the total weight or volume when compared to any other food listing or food database. This provides a more precise definition of the desired carbohydrate content of a meal or snack to keep you in the Zone. Also note that any protein content of listed carbohydrates has been eliminated from the Food Block Guide due to limited bio-availability."

So there you go, mystery solved.

In terms of getting really precise about intake, measuring is definitely important no question but I think there's a range of effectiveness as opposed to an exact amount. It's like in music: The note middle A has a frequency of 440Hz. But really it's anywhere around 440Hz, it doesn't have to be precisely 440Hz just near enough to it. Being kind of flat or kind of sharp doesn't change the fact that it's still for all intents and purposes a middle A!