CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
B Michael Hill

Profile:
Intro - Can Crossfit work for me?

Hi, Brandon here. I'm a 24 year old male, about 5'10'', 240. I've always been reasonably active since high school, but have consistently eaten horribly. When I started to get serious about diet and exercise about a year ago, I weighed 265 or so. In about five months of eating properly (mostly), jogging daily, and doing some weight training, I got down to 215. Once I graduated about six months ago, I took a desk job and my fitness and diet have gone downhill. I'm back up around 240 now.

I'm wondering if the Crossfit system will be a good approach for me to get back to where I was and move beyond that. Ideally, I'd cut about fifty pounds of fat and get some muscle on. I'm not concerned with looking huge, but with improving real strength. I've noticed the beginner program on the front page, as well as the "pack" and "puppy" settings for the WOD. These look intriguing and doable. So, I suppose I have two questions:

1) Can Crossfit help me get to my goals?

2) How should I start? What should I be doing in order to get the most of Crossfit at a sustainable pace?
Old 12-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Jason Lollar

Profile:  
Re: Intro - Can Crossfit work for me?

Go to the "Start Here!" link on the www.crossfit.com homepage. This will tell you just how to start CrossFitting.

Next, go to the "What is Crossfit?" link. This will explain why this is the best thing you could possibly do to meet your goals.

Finally, scour the rest of the site for information and motivation.

now...1, 2, 3, GO!
Old 12-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

1) Absolutely.

2) I'd recommend just starting by doing the WOD's heavily scaled and build intensity as you progress. The last thing you want to do is dive into it and overtrain or potentially damage yourself to the point of Rhabdo. Listen to your body and you should do just fine. If you don't have much experience with the Oly lifts, find a good coach to learn from.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Michael
Be sure to do the warm-up prior to your BrandX scaled workout. If the warm-up is especially tough for you, you may want to consider using simply that as a workout. Once you work up to 15 reps of each exercise for all three rounds, begin doing full WOD's.

Re: Jake
Rhabdo isn't an issue for an untrained person entering CrossFit. His will power will prevent his body from pushing that hard. Most cases of rhabdo come from highly athletic people who enter CrossFit, underestimating the intensity of it, and are able to push themselves to their absolute physical limits.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

And get in the Zone. Check out Crossfit Journal 15.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
B Michael Hill

Profile:

Thanks for all of the responses. I will do the scaled versions of the WOD and see how it treats me....

A few more questions: which warmup did you suggest, Patrick? Is it the official warmup listed in the FAQ or would you suggest something else?

As for diet, I'm planning on looking more into that, but I'm looking at the Zone suggestions and they look pretty good. For right now, I'm going to cut the crap foods (pizza and M&Ms) and focus on getting more quality meats and vegetables into my diet: I figure it will be easier to tailor from there than to jump right into a rigid plan right now.

Thanks again! If there's anything else I can do, I'd love to know about it.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Diet will be the major factor in you dropping weight, but the exercise will help as well.

The CF warm up is in the FAQ. You should read that.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Michael Hill View Post
A few more questions: which warmup did you suggest, Patrick? Is it the official warmup listed in the FAQ or would you suggest something else?
The official one.

I tried miscellaneous warm-ups for a long time, but then eventually ended up with this by chance...
Quote:
2 rounds:
- 10 assisted muscle-ups
- 10s L-sit (on rings)
- 10 squats
- 10 good mornings, 45#
Which is very similar to the CFWU, though a bit shorter, since I have very long strength workouts.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
John McBrien

Profile:

First off, welcome. I don't know where you're currently located but take a look at the CrossFit Affiliate page and check to see if there's an affiliate close to you. If cost is an issue and you can't join an affiliate, stopping by and talking with them or paying for just a couple of private sessions would be extremely beneficial.

Happy CrossFit-ing.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #10
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Crossfit is wonderful in so many ways. It's fun, it's challenging, it's effective in building fitness. But it's not a weight loss program.

You write that you've "consistently eaten horribly" and the you "plan on looking into the Zone."

My advice to you is, start right away thinking of yourself as an athlete in training, because if you do Crossfit, you WILL be training, and training hard, even at scaled levels. You will not lose weight nor will you be able to train properly if you are not supplying the machine with quality fuel and quality materials.

You literally are what you eat, since every molecule of every structure in your body is made from the building blocks you feed it. If you don't want to be a marshmellow, don't eat 'em!

Start by dumping the junk food. Figure out when, where, and why you eat that stuff, and plan on some satisfying, "real food" substititues. For example, when I weighed 90 lbs. more than I do now, I was in the habit of eating big bowls of ice cream with chocolate syrup and whipped cream in front of the tv at night. At first, I needed a substitute for that, so I started eating steel-cut oatmeal with peanut butter and a bit of chocolate syrup. That worked until my habits evolved past it. (Later on still, I used cottage cheese with almond butter and fruit, better yet.)

When you've got your junk food thing licked, then pick something else to improve and work on in your diet. Really aim to eat like an athlete at the training table...

Check out a book called THE PALEO DIET FOR ATHLETES, it's really good. I'd start there, then learn about the Zone, because the Zone is more about quantities while the paleo diet is about quality. (What to eat versus how much to eat.)

Good luck!
Susie