CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Alex Reynolds

Profile:
CrossFit Elite Fitness v. Having a good time

What I mean by the title of the post is this. . . .

I just got the November Journal, and in the video article Coach is talking about dieting being the path to elite performance, Rob Miller is weighing out his zone meals on the side of a f!@#ing cliff!! And in the video by coach he talks about how APT OFT, Greg A, and all of the other mutants may be just sitting around not drinking beer when they all go out because they are concerned about sleep/diet/tommorow's performance. . .

My point is where is the line between elite fitness and obsession, okay maybe not obsession, but turning it into something that isn't fun anymore and takes up too much of your life.

I dated a girl once who's parents were OCD clean freaks, they would wash their cars 5 times a week and vacum everyday- This may be a bad analogy- but my point is that when something becomes absolute obsession- I feel you can spend too much time in it and not enjoy the good things.

I am an avid crossfitter, but I am in college and work and study my *** off. I want to be in Greg A. or Nicole land, but shopping for the right foods, not going out and socializing because of poor workout concerns would just take away from my quality of life. Anyway, you guys get the point sorry to ramble. . . .
Old 11-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Elite Fitness v. Having a good time

Most people start an exercise program and HOPE to get fit. Here, you get to CHOOSE how fit you want to be.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

I'd absolutely agree with you a few months ago.

Then I tried Zone strictly at 24 blocks, then found out that Greg A. eats 19 and dropped to 20 blucks myself (Greg is 6', I'm 6'3"), then dropped to 18 since intermittent fasting drops the food requirement.

Nicole mentioned somewhere that she has one cheat day a week.
So do I currently.

Results - performance is shooting through the roof.

And now I would not choose some food over a feeling of tremendous achievement every day .

Yet a couple months ago I would've agreed that measuring food and being all that strict is too much.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Alex-
funny you mention this right now.
I have been in the Zone for a couple months now. I hit my affiliate usually four times per week, sometimes five. My weight seems to be stable. My times, wieight and reps on WODS are all improving. I am astonished at the transformation of my body. My pants fit loosely, I have too crank over to new and heretofore unused portions of my belts

But I was thinking this morning... hey, maybe if I knock out the beer for a couple weeks (yes, I count my beer as carb blocks - stop laughing) I'll see an even greater improvement in fitness and performance.

We'll see if I follow through with it... since I am still in the office right now (over 12 hours so far today), I will probably have a beer when I get home... so maybe the no beer plan will have to go into effect later... like Monday!

FWIW - if I was still in college, I would be thinking along the lines that you are too. That is definitely the time to have fun. So have fun!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Nathan Repasky

Profile:

Alex, find your balance in life that makes you happy. If that means not being so picky about your nutrition or not spending extra hours training, then do that. If on the other hand, you find happiness in doing the opposite of the above, do that. I think we all struggle with this balancing act in every facet of our lives. In the end, it's your life so you get to choose.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Reynolds View Post
What I mean by the title of the post is this. . . .

My point is where is the line between elite fitness and obsession, okay maybe not obsession, but turning it into something that isn't fun anymore and takes up too much of your life.

In medical school, we used to joke about how the patient who drank too much was the guy who drank more than we did.

By our joking, we were recognizing the human tendency to judge others by our own yardsticks.

Four years ago, I didn't exercise. I couldn't walk more than a half-mile. Back then, I wouldn't have understood anybody who went to the gym daily. I thought just getting through my day carrying around 230+ pounds was sufficient exercise.

Three years ago, I was walking for exercise, moderate pace, up to an hour a day. I wouldn't have understood anybody who ran; running is bad for the joints and walking is sufficient exercise.

A year ago, I was biking recreationally, taking 3 spin classes a week, doing yoga. I worked hard in spin class and was able to keep up with the slow rides of my local biking club. I wouldn't have understood anybody exercising hard enough to throw up.

Last week, I exercised so hard that I threw up.

What has changed is my perception of what's valuable and desirable for me. As I take on and own new behaviors, they become normative---they seem normal---even though not that long ago, I would have called someone like me obsessed.

We psychiatrists have a decent yardstick for when to call something a disorder: if it interferes with social or occupational functioning, or it causes the person persistent emotional distress. So far, my family and friends have not banded together to do an "exercise intervention" with me, and I'm still gainfully and happily employed.

My point is, if the "mutants" among us sustain rewarding and nourishing relationships, are able to function in their occupations decently, and don't suffer emotional distress because of their lifestyle choices, then there is nothing inherently limiting or wrong about those choices.

I'm no mutant, but for me, it's all about the fun...

Susie
Old 11-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
Travis Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Then I tried Zone strictly at 24 blocks, then found out that Greg A. eats 19 and dropped to 20 blucks myself (Greg is 6', I'm 6'3"), then dropped to 18 since intermittent fasting drops the food requirement.
I apologize for getting off topic, but I was curious if you/anyone knows if these CF people are adding fat blocks or simply following straight Zone proportion guidelines?

Cheers,

T.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Two points:

1) What you consider "fun" and "sacrafice" doesn't apply to everyone else.
2) Part of getting what you want is understanding what you have to sacrafice to get it.

You're coming to the conclusion that you don't actually want what you think you want. And that's okay.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

some people are misreading my original post as a value judgement. I agree with
respondee who said that fitness/strict dieting become normative. I guess what I am saying is that maybe something that you have accepted as "normal" really isn't when you step back from it. I have begin eating much better and really pushing myself during workouts since staring crossfit a year ago, I have really realized the value of diet and of strong fitness programming. However, I would simply stress myself out trying to be "elite", I couldn't handle figuring out what kind of "blocks" I am going to eat when I am hauling a@$ out of my apartment during early morning hours after staying up late studying.

Anyway- I guess it comes down to "To each his own"- and that's it. I'm sure the "elitists" feel a lot better in the morning than I do after I drank excessive amounts of beer while eating pizza and chasing women
Old 11-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
You're coming to the conclusion that you don't actually want what you think you want. And that's okay.
Yeah. For me, I'd say it's better than okay. Realizing what I really want, what actually makes a positive difference in my life, is very comforting. It's the difference between waking up each morning and saying "I have to do x and y to get what I think I want" and "I get to do a and b, and that'll get me where I know I want to be!"

I'm comfortable with my goals and my progress, and while I'm not an elite crossfitter, that's fine too. Meeting their standards for happiness won't make me happy any more than meeting the standards of some overeating cough potato underachiever will. I'll meet my standards. That's one reason I like to see the work of the elites in my chosen areas - I can see what they do to achieve, and either I say "Heck, I can do that!" or "No, no thanks." When I say "No thanks" I know it's because I need a difference balance in my life than they do.

I think it helps that in crossfit, it's pretty clear that ultimately, you (all of us, not just you specifically) are not really competing with the elites (except at the crossfit games, of course). You're competing with you. You only get together and compare times to motivate and demonstrate possibility. It's the same when I fight...I feel triumphant even when I lose a fight, because the hard part was training and stepping into the ring, not the punching and kicking and wrestling. The competition in that for me is "can I do this? How will I do?" more than "will I beat this guy?"

Last edited by Peter Dell'Orto : 11-01-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Spelling