CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Availability of Meats

When are food animals that are sustainably raised typically slaughtered?

I remember seeing an article on this by Joel Salatin of Polyface farms, but I haven't been able to find it again.

And despite a considerable amount of time searching, I haven't been able to find anything else on this topic.

As I recall, cows and pigs are typically slaughtered in the fall, but what about the rest? Chickens, turkeys, prime egg laying season, etc.,.

Just trying to figure out when the best time would be to buy up a bunch of decent meats and then throw what I didn't immediately need to use in the feezer to keep the cost of eating healthy down.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Availability of Meats

Check out www.eatwild.com. (w/f safe)

They list farms selling grassfed meats on a state-by-state basis, and you can find one nearby and find out when they have meat available.

Our local source, for example, has an email notification that we get that tells us when their animals have been slaughtered. If we want, we can even put in an order ahead of time.

Man, I am having trouble with all this as a newly reformed vegetarian. All I can say is, I actually saw the animals with my own eyes when I went to the farm the first time, and they looked healthy and well.....unconcerned. They looked like animals are supposed to look, just going about doing animal things rather freely.

Susie
Old 10-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
Man, I am having trouble with all this as a newly reformed vegetarian. All I can say is, I actually saw the animals with my own eyes when I went to the farm the first time, and they looked healthy and well.....unconcerned. They looked like animals are supposed to look, just going about doing animal things rather freely. Susie
YOU!!! I just called my local Grass Fed meat guy and ordered Tongue, Liver, and Heart, along with the fact that I have a 1/4 steer in my freezer, ground lamb, turkey, and some chickens, AND I had to buy an extra damn freezer to hold the dead things. Just the other day, I was visiting a friend and their daughter had a bunny that the parents wanted to get rid of.............................
Old 10-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Austin Rogers

Profile:

Jay - I know you're just trying to make a joke but many people really feel all living things should be respected

I do myself and I was also a vegetarian until I realized I need to live my life the way we are supposed to for optimal health and happiness

I eat a ton of meat now but am very respectful and humbled that a happy living animal was slaughtered for my benefit