CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Kurt A Gross

Profile:
On ESPN2 the other day, my fiance and I watched an adventure race in Utah (I think). 480 miles, climbing, rappelling, biking, running, kayaking, etc.
Any CFers do this? We're looking into trying one, although more amateur, scaled down, etc. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I've done about 15 AR races, not a pro by any means but we have placed...nothing on the scale of the 3 day races. Teams are usually 3 person and co-ed. They can be as short as 3-4 hours (considered a sprint) to 8hrs, 12hr, 24hrs...and so on. The longer ones are more treking while the sprint races are sprints (run 5 miles). All races have different formats depending on whether they are locally run or more national. The smaller ones are great for any level. Most will give you a canoe to rent. Orienteering is key for most races. While the sprints tend to have just a course you run...most ARs give you a map, compass, UTM coordinates and then you have to find your way from checkpoint to checkpoint...so you don't have to be the fastest team to win...but get lost and you could be way behind...makes it more fun. Not hard to do, just takes practice. I would look for orienteering clubs in the area...that's good practice on how to use a compass and read maps.

You can see lists of races at:
http://usara.com/
http://active.com/
or look for a local adventure racing club website, as we have one here in atlanta that lists all the smaller races.

You'll have a blast....they are all pretty fun...lots of "mystery" events...I've done everything from climbing rock walls, crawling through mud pits, swimming full gear across the lake to get the canoe, hiking up muddy terrain with a mountain bike, even some checkpoints where they give you a test to pass before you go on (puzzles, math problem and even a rubics cube once...) even if you come in last...it's still a load of fun!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Ian Carver

Profile:
I have done a few of the shorter distance ones that take about 4 hours to complete. I would love to do one of the team events that takes place over a 24 hour period, I just can't seem to convince anyone around me that it actually would be fun.

If you have not tried one, you should. I've done well in my races and always had a big smile and few laughs about them in the end. It seems everyone also has the same response regardless of placing or time. Since I no longer race bicycles, this is a great all around competitive outlet for me that offers competition and a lot of fun.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
Ben Nance

Profile:
I've only competed in 3 adventure races but they were a great time. Two years running now I've competed in the wilderness classic up here in Alaska (the only true adventure race IMHO, our finish time was just under 3 days, mandatory SAT phones, etc). You can read about it at the following page http://www.alaskanalpineclub.org/WildRace.html.

I also competed in a short, 4 hour race at the Teva Mountain games in Vail, CO. It was far too commercial but was fun nonetheless.

Long story short adventure races really show you what you can do. I never would have thought I could have come close to doing what I have done. It's probably the most fun you'll ever have being miserable haha
Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
Ben Nance

Profile:
oops...that link I posted is safe for family, work, etc.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
Chris Barclay

Profile:
I've competed (stretch of the word there) in a few in the UK. I'm assuming you're all state side but if not there is a great series run by the ACE race guys (work/family safe etc www.aceraces.com) on this side of the water. well run and pretty well attended - a real mix of abilities too from beginers to some real endurance folks. The one I did was won by a team including the lady that won "SAS - Are you tough enough".

Great fun though and a good mix of endurance, and some strength, coordination etc along the way.